Class of 2024 Veterinary Scholarship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Armyhealth

Army Healthcare Recruiter
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you are applying to vet school next cycle and interested in the Army's scholarship come and say hi and ask any questions!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello!

I have a handful of questions that have briefly been covered in old threads. I would like to clarify that the information is still correct for this upcoming cycle. Additionally, I have a few unique questions I would like to pose.

1) Is the stipend still ~ $2,200/Mo? Does this vary based on the area (similar to BAS/BAH)?
2) Is the typical applicant to recipient ratio still 3:1? I've seen it posted that there are 33 slots with about 110 - 140 applicants per cycle. Is this still accurate?
3) Is the minimum GPA still 3.25 with a competitive GPA above 3.5?
4) Are there minimum GRE scores needed to apply? (Some schools no longer require the GRE)
5) Does the direct vet option require participation in FYVGE?
6) Can you still apply immediately after acceptance into a US based program?

I am currently an E-5 in the Air Force Reserve about to finish a six year commitment. With AIT / OJT / ADOS / TDY / AT orders, I have ~ 750 days of active service.

7) Would this service qualify for OxE pay or add to my time in service calculation?
8) My ETS is in July, would MEPS be required since it will be less than 2 years following separation?
9) Is prior service still considered to be an advantage when applying for the scholarship?
10) Are leadership courses from other branches (ALS) considered?
11) Would prior service from a different branch exempt an individual from DCC? Do you know the current length of BOLC?
12) My current AFSC (MOS) is transitioning away from the Air Force Fitness Test to a Tier 2 fitness standard. How do these compare to the physical standards in the Army?
13) I understand that the possibility of going overseas is significant. Are any of the tours unaccompanied?
14) Is QOL as an Army officer at least that of an Air Force enlistee?**

**As someone who got to sip hot chocolate while laying on a king-sized bed and browsing the Wi-Fi in a 5 star hotel while my Army counterparts were living in condemned, semi-demolished barracks with 3 guys per room, this is important.

All jokes aside, thank you for creating this thread and taking the time to answer my questions.

Reactions: 1 user
Ouch....my fingers are going to hurt after this one.

1- Stipend is up to 2320 per month, it is the same for everyone but gets adjusted every year based on cost of living increases.
2-Yes, it has stayed the same for at least the last 3-4 years
3- 3.2 minimum and around a 3.5 to be competitive. That is only the undergrad, they also take in account a Master's for competiveness.
4- 290 is the minimum, if your school does not require a GRE you have to get a waiver from the Army
5-The FYVGE is optional for direct applicants, we only have the slots for our HPSP class so you actually have to get a class date for it which can be tough since we don't always have those.
6- You can start your application once you have your acceptance, you don't officially apply until the board date usually in Jan.
7- Only active years can count towards active service, they will stay if you transition to the reserves again after your active service as a 64A
8- You can do MEPS or a military treatment facility physical but you would need a commissioning physical.
9- Yes, any and all prior service is always looked upon favorably. (unless you have something negative in your records)
10-Yes, leadership courses are also looked at favorably by the board.
11- You would be exempt from DCC but would attend BOLC, it is 10 weeks for HPSP in San Antonio.
12- No idea what that means, I have never served in the Air Force. You would be required to do the standard PT test for the Army. 2 mins of pushups, 2 minutes of situps, 2 mile run. You can google the score you would need by age and gender
13-There are a couple, Kuwait, Kosovo off the top of my head. All the big ones like Germany, Japan, South Korea you can bring your family.
14-Sure we don't get top notch hotels or luxury government vehicles but I have never seen a Army Veterinarian who has been hurting for money or lived in barracks. The Vet corps has one of our highest retention rates vs the other medical specialties. I would say there is a reason for that. Pay is pretty comparable to civilian and you somewhat set your own hours when it comes to clinic/surgery and such. The only thing our veterinarians complain about sometimes is the food inspection mission and administrative tasks but that is understandable since that is not why you become a Vet.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
@Armyhealth I have been accepted to vet school for this fall and I have been previously in contact with a recruiter, but she never followed up with me to get my application started after our initial conversation. What steps should I be taking/is there an approximate timeline for finishing the application? Thank you!

@Armyhealth I have been accepted to vet school for this fall and I have been previously in contact with a recruiter, but she never followed up with me to get my application started after our initial conversation. What steps should I be taking/is there an approximate timeline for finishing the application? Thank you!

You want to get as much done this summer before you start Vet school as you can. Especially the physical as it will be hard to escape for a full day. Vet students are on the back burner right now because we are hot and heavy into the medical school HPSP applicant season but don't worry they will shift focus back to you around May/June.

How heavily is the rigor of an undergraduate factored into the decision since some schools are notorious for being harder and having grade deflation?

Hello @Armyhealth , how difficult is it to get a position as a direct commission right out of vet school or after practicing a few years out of vet school?

Last edited:
If you are applying to vet school next cycle and interested in the Army's scholarship come and say hi and ask any questions!
Hi, I am definitely planning to apply. What steps should I be taking now?

Hi, I am definitely planning to apply. What steps should I be taking now?
Are you already accepted to vet school and planning to start this upcoming fall? Once you have an acceptance, you should contact an Army healthcare recruiter and start your app. There's not much you can do before then, except make sure you have a good GPA and GRE.

Are you already accepted to vet school and planning to start this upcoming fall? Once you have an acceptance, you should contact an Army healthcare recruiter and start your app. There's not much you can do before then, except make sure you have a good GPA and GRE.

Is the GRE important? I don't have the best scores but I still got accepted so I didn't think they'd matter. Should I retake it now then?

Is the GRE important? I don't have the best scores but I still got accepted so I didn't think they'd matter. Should I retake it now then?
It is considered when making decisions. I'm not sure how much weight it holds. All I know is you need a min score of 290. I would guess that competitive applicants generally have even higher scores. I'll defer to @Armyhealth on this one.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you mind posting your stats (like GPA and experiences and stuff) just to see what exactly is being looked for? Congrats by the way!

Hi!

I was contacted by a recruiter that you put me in contact with, but I haven’t heard back. Should I wait until I graduate in May to contact him back?

Also, I have a GRE score of 308 and I know 290 is the minimum. What would be a competitive score? Should I retake it?

Thank you!

Hi!

I was contacted by a recruiter that you put me in contact with, but I haven’t heard back. Should I wait until I graduate in May to contact him back?

Also, I have a GRE score of 308 and I know 290 is the minimum. What would be a competitive score? Should I retake it?

Thank you!

Im class of 2023, I was confused about the groups so posted in the wrong one I believe.

Do you mind posting your stats (like GPA and experiences and stuff) just to see what exactly is being looked for? Congrats by the way!

I am HPSP in the class of 2021.

320 GRE, 3.90 undergrad Gpa from small private college. Another student in the year above me from my undergrad was selected as well, and it sounds like the army’s opinion of your undergrad school may matter. I did not have any prior service but I have an extensive family history of military service (specifically army officers). Probably had 2-3 solid leadership positions (managed 10+ employees, president of honor society). Several thousand large animal hours and probably 500 LA vet hours. 5k+ small animal hours (rough estimate). None were military related or food inspection specific. Probably 1000 research hours in infectious and zoonotic diseases, about 100 of which were with a veterinarian. You need to convince them that you are ok with being an officer first and a veterinarian second in your statement of motivation.

First semserter of vet med made a ~3.9 and was too 15% of class. Tracking small animal medicine. My university is ranked in the top 5 for most number of veterinary HPSP students. Two in my class were selected out of 6-7 applicants.

Not going to sugar coat it, it is a pretty damn selective program. The stipend amount is generous (works out to almost $30k per year + tuition) and is meant to entice MD students. We don’t get the $20k bonus or all 4 years covered, but veterinary HPSP students make out like bandits compared to our classmates. If you are familiar with the military, willing to serve and interested in the career path, it is a no brainer to apply.

Feel free to pm me if you are interested in applying.

Reactions: 5 users
HPSP class of 2022
Undergrad GPA: 3.77 from T20 school Master's in Vet Sci with 4.0 GPA
GRE: 164V/159Q/5.0AW
Vet Experience: 595 hours
Animal Experience: ~1100 hours (I don't remember being asked to list vet or animal experience specifically, but my memory sucks, so maybe I was)
Employment: Worked for a cleaning company June 2012-July 2013 and then again one summer in college and worked for the dining center first semester of college; was employed as a research assistant throughout my Master's
Extracurriculars/Awards: Fencing club, Alternative Winter Break, Alternative Spring Break, Dean's List (multiple semesters), Graduated cum laude, Two national honor societies, One German honor society, Graduate scholarship recipient
LORs: Research PI (also has DVM, although not in practice anymore), Former professor (now retired, was Associate Dean for Undergraduate Education), advisor in service and leadership office (served as a student leader in her service program)

General notes/thoughts: I have a history of leadership in service organizations, which I think helped my app. I did not really talk about wanting to be a vet at all in my statement, instead focusing on why I wanted to be in the Army - the Army is really interested in finding people who want to be soldiers and officers. This year, they didn't look at grades from vet school at all because boards were too early. I do not have a close family history of military service (I have 3 cousins who serve(d), which I made sure to mention in my essay). However, two of my fellow recipients from my class do, so it definitely helps.

Anyone is free to ask me further questions either here or via PM!

Reactions: 4 users
Hi! I have a 3.25 from an Ivy League University, 159V and 158Q on my GRE, volunteer at a working dog center, work in a research lab now, did ROTC in undergrad and currently in Reserves, Easily over 500 hours of vet experience and 1000+ more hours in general animal experience. How competitive of an applicant am I in general? Just applied to vet schools 2 weeks ago for Fall 2020. Thanks!
You are prior service. As long as no red flags in your app or previous service you should be good.

HOWEVER - Is your rotc service obligation up yet? There is always the potential for messiness here with ROTC.

Do you accept letters of recommendations from officers along with our application?

You are prior service. As long as no red flags in your app or previous service you should be good.

HOWEVER - Is your rotc service obligation up yet? There is always the potential for messiness here with ROTC.

I'm in a similar position and my ROTC obligation is not up yet. Would this mean I am ineligible for the scholarship. And if yes, how difficult would it be to change my MOS after attending veterinary school?

I'm in a similar position and my ROTC obligation is not up yet. Would this mean I am ineligible for the scholarship. And if yes, how difficult would it be to change my MOS after attending veterinary school?

Going to send you a PM

Does anyone have a list of board dates for the upcoming cycle/provide a reference for previous years? TIA
For the class of 2023, the board just met. December 9-12. I think we won’t know results until January though.

Sorry to throw random questions in, I'm more worried about the physical limitations. Any concerns from y'all I'm the program?

Sorry to throw random questions in, I'm more worried about the physical limitations. Any concerns from y'all I'm the program?
I'm afraid I don't know what you mean by physical limitations. Could you clarify? Are you concerned about physical limitations keeping you from getting into the program? Or are you concerned about the physical fitness requirements once you are in?

I'm afraid I don't know what you mean by physical limitations. Could you clarify? Are you concerned about physical limitations keeping you from getting into the program? Or are you concerned about the physical fitness requirements once you are in?
[/QUOT
I guess both. I've been working out like crazy trying to get into shape because I've been working with a guy who spent time in this program and he said the physical side of it is what'll get people. I guess more the fitness requirements

In terms of getting in initially, I think honestly you either meet their requirements or you don't. MEPS is not a difficult process to pass, as long as you already meet the height and weight criteria and don't have pre-existing conditions. Unfortunately, there isn't much to be done if you do have a pre-existing condition - you could pursue a waiver, but I don't think that works often. They are not putting you through difficult physical exercises or anything like that. I wasn't remotely in shape for MEPS and it wasn't an issue.
The APFT is being replaced by the ACFT. I have not found the standards we have to meet to be too terrible. I took a not-for-record ACFT at DCC and was able to pass everything except the leg tuck with minimal preparation. In HPSP, we don't have to pass the test until BOLC at the earliest, so there's lots of time to prep after acceptance. However, the test has definitely transitioned to more of an endurance event with more muscle groups tested, and some of my fellow HPSPers who weren't as athletic and/or hadn't bothered to get in shape did struggle a lot. I think from my perspective, the biggest frustration has been that there is very little direction on how to prepare for the ACFT. I had hoped that DCC would build on the work I had done in the months prior, but we did virtually no PT the entire time. Everything is on you to stay in appropriate shape - if that is a struggle for you, it could make your time in the Army tough.

Does going into the army with the HPSP directly after vet school diminish your chances of getting an internship/residency after finishing your service?

Hi, I will be applying this year for the HPSP. What aspects of your performance during your first semester of veterinary school will they be looking at apart from GPA? How can I improve my application this summer and during veterinary school prior to submitting my application? Also, are there any dates available yet for this year’s application deadline?

Hi, I will be applying this year for the HPSP. What aspects of your performance during your first semester of veterinary school will they be looking at apart from GPA? How can I improve my application this summer and during veterinary school prior to submitting my application? Also, are there any dates available yet for this year’s application deadline?
A lot of these are things that your recruiter will be able to talk to you about.
They don’t include your first semester veterinary school GPA when looking at you for the board because the board meets before official grades are submitted for the fall semester (at least in my case).
I did my entire application the summer before because I was very proactive talking to my recruiter to get everything done.
Just work on your statement of motivation, and work on getting the 3-5 quality letters of rec. From what I can tell, it’s more about who you know. So if you can somehow get a general or someone else that’s extremely high ranked to write you a letter of rec, that’s better.

Hi! I applied for this current cycle (Class of 2023). Has anybody heard back yet? It’s been over a month since the board met, and I expected a response by now. Thank you!

Hi! I applied for this current cycle (Class of 2023). Has anybody heard back yet? It’s been over a month since the board met, and I expected a response by now. Thank you!
Contact your recruiter. I was placed on the OML. One person from my class is a recipient. Your recruiter should have the information now.

Does anyone know when HPSP applications are due for this upcoming cycle? My recruiter only said that it’ll be after I start my first year.

Does anyone know when HPSP applications are due for this upcoming cycle? My recruiter only said that it’ll be after I start my first year.
The board will likely meet in early December 2020. Basically you just get it done ASAP. Most people have full packets be due around mid-November.

I contacted a recruiter and he said to call back after school started... seems a bit late to me.
Also another important question.... how many push-ups do we have to be able to do, because I need to start working on that if I want to be in the Army. #noodlearms

Hi everyone, I won't be applying for vet school until next year but I had a question and I'm not sure if its been answered.

What are the chances, if accepted for the scholarship - and after completing vet school, that you'll be able to stay close to home?
Also, I see it requires a bachelors degree, but what if you're getting an associates in pre-veterinary?

Last edited:
I contacted a recruiter and he said to call back after school started... seems a bit late to me.
Also another important question.... how many push-ups do we have to be able to do, because I need to start working on that if I want to be in the Army. #noodlearms
That does seem late. I believe packet reviews and selection have been in December the past two years. I completed my application the summer before starting vet school. It would technically be possible to complete the application during first semester of vet school, but it'd be a pain. Did you contact an AMEDD recruiter, not just a general recruiter?

You don't have to be able to do any push ups to get accepted. You will eventually need to be able to pass the ACFT if you get accepted. Right now, the first test of record is at BOLC, which you won't do until at least your second summer in vet school. You can find the standards online.

Hi everyone, I won't be applying for vet school until next year but I had a question and I'm not sure if its been answered.

What are the chances, if accepted for the scholarship - and after completing vet school, that you'll be able to stay close to home?
Also, I see it requires a bachelors degree, but what if you're getting an associates in pre-veterinary?
It's probably not super likely. They do let you rank where you'd prefer to go, but (from what I've seen) a lot of people don't get their first choice. For your first year, you'll do the First Year Graduate Veterinary Experience (FYGVE) and there are a limited number of specific locations you can go to, so if one of the locations is not near your home, it's definitely not possible for that first year. If being close to your family is very important to you, I would think long and hard about whether this is the program for you. I would be prepared that you may not be near home for your 4 years in the Army.
I am afraid I'm not sure of the answer to your second question. Reaching out to an AMEDD recruiter would be the best bet for getting that answered.

I have been accepted to veterinary school starting this year. I reached out to a recruiter who said to contact him once school begins but that won’t be until August which seems late as I am reading that previous posters have said they started applications in the summer.
Also I was accepted into a DVM program without finishing my bachelors degree, will this make me ineligible for the scholarship? Last question - are active duty/retired service family members allowed to write LORs for the scholarship?

I have a question about hpsp for current recipients. I talked to AMED recruiter and he said contact him again after class starts, but he did t answer any other questions. Im current army reserve, 16 years looking at making E7 within the next year. From what i have been able to find is it looks like i need a 638 and a letter from my commander. So does this mean that my TIS stops while I attend school? Am i able to stay to stay in the reserve while i attend and receive scholarship if i get it?

Hi! Would you mind please explaining how deployments/tours work for 3-year scholarship recipients? I've read online that your first tour is usually stateside and around 18-24 months, while your second can be stateside or overseas, but this is just what the internet tells me and figured I would go to a better source. TIA!

A lot to unpack there. First assignment after FYGVE traditionally used to be a CONUS section OIC. Essentially you’re in charge of a clinic. Now retention rates are so low your first assignment could be overseas, could be in branch OIC spot.This year all the korea vets are first year. No real way to say where you’ll go. Most assignments are three years. Some are one.

Hi everyone.
Class of 2024 here and starting on my application for the HPSP scholarship. Trying to figure out in terms of LORs what would be the best course of action. I work at an emergency veterinary hospital and the ER supervisor has previous naval experience of over 15 years so I would def ask her. Torn between asking the hospital manager who I am certain would write me an outstanding letter of rec versus a veterinarian that I work with. Also between asking an undergrad professor and a soon to be vet school professor, any thoughts of who I should be asking? The undergrad professor would have a higher chance of knowing me better since he knew me for 4 years. Any thoughts or advice would help!

Hi everyone.
Class of 2024 here and starting on my application for the HPSP scholarship. Trying to figure out in terms of LORs what would be the best course of action. I work at an emergency veterinary hospital and the ER supervisor has previous naval experience of over 15 years so I would def ask her. Torn between asking the hospital manager who I am certain would write me an outstanding letter of rec versus a veterinarian that I work with. Also between asking an undergrad professor and a soon to be vet school professor, any thoughts of who I should be asking? The undergrad professor would have a higher chance of knowing me better since he knew me for 4 years. Any thoughts or advice would help!
People that know you are going to be better, logically, your veterinary school professors currently know nothing about you so they might not be able to write a strong letter for you. You want people that can speak on your abilities as a leader and your future as a veterinarian. You want them to talk about how you will be an excellent officer and veterinarian.

I had 4 letters of recommendation: A veterinarian I worked with whose spouse was an HPSP recipient, a graduate TA that I had in undergrad that also acted as my undergraduate thesis advisor, a family friend that was an Army Ranger, and an undergraduate professor that knew me very well.

But it will also boost your packet to have someone that is in the military, preferably an officer or someone that is higher ranking. I personally think my packet lacked the high ranking individual, I would have been better off obtaining a letter of recommendation from an officer of sorts rather than a prior enlisted personnel.

Hi! What are the different requirements for active duty vs army reserve? If we are accepted for the scholarship do we choose between them or must we do the active duty service?

Thanks!

Hi! What are the different requirements for active duty vs army reserve? If we are accepted for the scholarship do we choose between them or must we do the active duty service?

Thanks!
For HPSP, you must do active duty. They will pay for 3 years of tuition and fees plus give you a monthly living stipend. You will then be obligated to do the First Year Graduate Veterinary Experience (1 year), active duty (3 years), and reserve (5 years), in that order.

For HPSP, you must do active duty. They will pay for 3 years of tuition and fees plus give you a monthly living stipend. You will then be obligated to do the First Year Graduate Veterinary Experience (1 year), active duty (3 years), and reserve (5 years), in that order.
Thank you! I see reserve listed in the info about the veterinary Corp as well, from what I understand that would be a loan repayment program after service comparatively?

Follow up question, is the reserves after active duty the inactive ready reserve?
I appreciate all the help! In the information gathering stage right now :)

Is there any opportunity for the residency while being on reserve?
How do people manage if they want to pursue any types of residency but also want to receive the HPSP scholarship?

Thank you! I see reserve listed in the info about the veterinary Corp as well, from what I understand that would be a loan repayment program after service comparatively?

You can sign up for the Army reserve after graduation. I think there are loan repayment incentives, but they are not nearly as generous. Sorry I don't know more - this wasn't something I looked into heavily.

Follow up question, is the reserves after active duty the inactive ready reserve?
I appreciate all the help! In the information gathering stage right now :)
Yes

Reactions: 1 users
Is there any opportunity for the residency while being on reserve?
How do people manage if they want to pursue any types of residency but also want to receive the HPSP scholarship?
With the HPSP scholarship, you would do FYGVE and I believe at least some part of your active duty service (maybe all?) and then you could apply for the Long Term Health Educational Program. There are a variety of residencies available and the Army will pay you activity duty pay while you do your residency. The potential downside is that you incur an additional active duty service obligation. That's the rough idea - I'd ask a recruiter if you want better specifics.