Class of 2024 Veterinary Scholarship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
With the HPSP scholarship, you would do FYGVE and I believe at least some part of your active duty service (maybe all?) and then you could apply for the Long Term Health Educational Program. There are a variety of residencies available and the Army will pay you activity duty pay while you do your residency. The potential downside is that you incur an additional active duty service obligation. That's the rough idea - I'd ask a recruiter if you want better specifics.
I'm pretty certain that if you extend your active duty obligation, you are required to do some sort of LTHEP, whether that be pursuing an MPH or doing a residency of some sort. I think they also have this as a requirement to build rank up to Major or higher. This is just from the research I was doing when I was applying for HPSP.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello! I'm starting vet school this fall for class of 2024. I was told that, because only 3 years are covered under HPSP, that I'm not eligible until after my first year? Is that correct? When is the appropriate time to apply?
Thank you in advance!

For HPSP, you must do active duty. They will pay for 3 years of tuition and fees plus give you a monthly living stipend. You will then be obligated to do the First Year Graduate Veterinary Experience (1 year), active duty (3 years), and reserve (5 years), in that order.

So, in total, it's a 9 year commitment after vet school?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello! I'm starting vet school this fall for class of 2024. I was told that, because only 3 years are covered under HPSP, that I'm not eligible until after my first year? Is that correct? When is the appropriate time to apply?
Thank you in advance!
The appropriate time to apply is this summer and fall. I am not sure the exact deadline for this application cycle. My year, the board date was mid-December of my first year and I received the decision in January. Make sure that you are working with an AMEDD recruiter, not a general recruiter. Unfortunately recruiters don't always have accurate information, so you may need to do some digging to get a recruiter who can help you be successful. It may be helpful to contact your vet school to see if they have an idea who students have worked with in the past.
So, in total, it's a 9 year commitment after vet school?
Yes. However, only 4 of those years are active duty. During your 5 years of IRR, you essentially live as a civilian.

The appropriate time to apply is this summer and fall. I am not sure the exact deadline for this application cycle. My year, the board date was mid-December of my first year and I received the decision in January. Make sure that you are working with an AMEDD recruiter, not a general recruiter. Unfortunately recruiters don't always have accurate information, so you may need to do some digging to get a recruiter who can help you be successful. It may be helpful to contact your vet school to see if they have an idea who students have worked with in the past.

Yes. However, only 4 of those years are active duty. During your 5 years of IRR, you essentially live as a civilian.

That is super super helpful! Thank you so much.

Hello! I am a prevet student about to enter senior year, I have a disturbingly low Gpa, however, I am confident in my ability to get a good Gre score. upon reading a few older post it seems like I won't really have a chance at this scholarship. Any suggestions? Also, can you still receive the HPSP after you graduate vet school?

Hello! I am a prevet student about to enter senior year, I have a disturbingly low Gpa, however, I am confident in my ability to get a good Gre score. upon reading a few older post it seems like I won't really have a chance at this scholarship. Any suggestions? Also, can you still receive the HPSP after you graduate vet school?
No, you cannot receive HPSP post graduation from veterinary school. You only get one chance to apply for the scholarship. You could potentially direct commission into the veterinary corps after graduation but, as far as I am aware, direct commissioning is harder than receiving the HPSP. (Not impossible, just more competitive because they choose less people to commission directly into the veterinary corps than they choose for HPSP).

The direct position also comes with a 120K student loan repayment. No real shot on the scholarship if your below a 3.2.

@Armyhealth am I still eligible for the scholarship if I have an Associates in Pre-Veterinary medicine, not a bachelors?

The direct position also comes with a 120K student loan repayment. No real shot on the scholarship if your below a 3.2.
Good to know:bigtears:. Are there any opportunities if I join the military as an officer now? I still aim to join Vet Corps after I graduate from vet school. Do they have any programs to help or cover the cost of my education? I am trying to figure out my military route, as I think I will be joining either the reserves or the national guard after I receive my bachelor's if I am not admitted into vet school this round. I have spoken to recruiters from the national guard in DE, but they are not very well versed in the direction I should take for my career path.

Hi! Does anyone know if rotc/west pointers can opt out of any of the summer trainings? Thanks!
West Point and ROTC graduates do not have to attend DCC but they do have to attend BOLC. Col Maurer posted a link to the regulation on the Military Students & Physicians HPSP facebook page.

Results have been released! Congratulations to everyone who received the scholarship!!!

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Got the call from my recruiter today, accepted for Army Vet HPSP!

Got the call from my recruiter today, accepted for Army Vet HPSP!
Thats awesome, congratulations! Hopefully we will meet in the future

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

I applied for texas Tech which has not acquired its second accreditation yet because this will be their first year as a vet school. Would I be able to apply for HPSP while going to this school?