class question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

americanangel

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
would a medical ethics class (which at my school is counted as a bio class) count as BCPM or just in your overall gpa...just curious?

Members don't see this ad.

Ethics is non-science. Department doesn't matter for BCPM designation.

They counted my med. ethics class towards BCPM, but it was offered through the chem department for what it matters.

Members don't see this ad :)
americanangel said:
would a medical ethics class (which at my school is counted as a bio class) count as BCPM or just in your overall gpa...just curious?

only if it is covered in one of the following departments:

B iology
C hemistry
P hysics
M ath

(this is true for all other classes as well)

Floseph said:
They counted my med. ethics class towards BCPM, but it was offered through the chem department for what it matters.
You got away with one, then, IMHO. To me, a course with ethics as its content is a humanities course, no matter who offers it.

To the OP, you make the designation yourself on the AMCAS, and then once you submit, they review it, making changes as they see fit, which you can then dispute. The instructions call for examining the course content to see if it fits, rather than using the offering department or course title. But when AMCAS reviews your application, all they have is the department and title, so if these suggest a BCPM course, and the applicant is claiming it, then they most likely won't dispute.