"What do you bring to a medical school class" interview question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reapplicant2021

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just really stuck on this question and I have an interview really soon. I got asked this the last time I interviewed at this school two years ago and I still haven't figured out a convincing answer and I could use some ideas. Generally, would it be better to focus on innate qualities like personality/diversity or things you have done or plan to do (or both)?

Members don't see this ad.

lmao I read this as "what do you bring in your backpack to a class in medical school" and I was like "uhhhh a notebook and a pen.....? maybe a snack?"

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 12 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm just really stuck on this question and I have an interview really soon. I got asked this the last time I interviewed at this school two years ago and I still haven't figured out a convincing answer and I could use some ideas. Generally, would it be better to focus on innate qualities like personality/diversity or things you have done or plan to do (or both)?
What about your personality would make you stand out among your peers? Have you ever been told something like you're very kind, caring, thoughtful, something like that?

Any life experiences that are outside of what the average medical student experiences? Have you done anything unique with a patient? Achieved something important? What makes you stand out?

This question is designed to get to know more about you beyond just your GPA, MCAT, and extracurricular. They want to know that you have some experiences outside of just being a premed.

Reactions: 2 users
Most schools now have small group activities where it is very helpful if each student brings some knowledge to the table that others in the group do not have. It could be your training as an engineer, anthropologist or statistician, it could be your familiarity with the religious practices or languages spoken by recent immigrants, it could be a long-term involvement in an activity with older adults or persons with disabilities.

Reactions: 6 users
You could try 'answering' the question here by telling us what sets you apart. We could try to help you pick out the important parts to relate to your interviewer.

Of course, don't feel obligated if you feel it will compromise anonymity.

Most schools now have small group activities where it is very helpful if each student brings some knowledge to the table that others in the group do not have. It could be your training as an engineer, anthropologist or statistician, it could be your familiarity with the religious practices or languages spoken by recent immigrants, it could be a long-term involvement in an activity with older adults or persons with disabilities.

Out of these, I know some basic Mandarin. I can speak it decently well but I can’t read or write it. I’m not sure how much this applies since Asian immigrants don’t make up a huge portion of all immigrants. I also scribe for cardiology which has an older patient population…?

I think the most unique activity I’ve done that most other people don’t have is this volunteer activity with the Red Cross where I call people suffering from homelessness and try to give them resources. It was done virtually mostly during COVID-19 and I wrote about it as a most meaningful activity already on AMCAS, so I’m not sure if it repeating that again would be too gratuitous.

Out of these, I know some basic Mandarin. I can speak it decently well but I can’t read or write it. I’m not sure how much this applies since Asian immigrants don’t make up a huge portion of all immigrants. I also scribe for cardiology which has an older patient population…?

I think the most unique activity I’ve done that most other people don’t have is this volunteer activity with the Red Cross where I call people suffering from homelessness and try to give them resources. It was done virtually mostly during COVID-19 and I wrote about it as a most meaningful activity already on AMCAS, so I’m not sure if it repeating that again would be too gratuitous.
Homeless people w/phones? That is a new one for me.

Homeless people w/phones? That is a new one for me.
I feel like most homeless people have phones because its kind of necessary for life in this day and age.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Yea possessing a phone at some point is one thing. Holding onto a phone and not pawning it for drugs or sex or a place to sleep is something else.
If you've got a phone you have paid off, it's much more valuable as a device to access the internet and contact people than it is as currency. Pawning jewelry makes sense, you can't eat a ring. Pawning a phone that you need to get a job or find a soup kitchen or call 911 is less likely. Homeless people aren't idiots who only care about drugs and sex. They're people who are struggling, and many homeless people actually have jobs. You can get a basic phone plan or minutes for super cheap, and it's much more valuable than you realize.

If you've got a phone you have paid off, it's much more valuable as a device to access the internet and contact people than it is as currency. Pawning jewelry makes sense, you can't eat a ring. Pawning a phone that you need to get a job or find a soup kitchen or call 911 is less likely. Homeless people aren't idiots who only care about drugs and sex. They're people who are struggling, and many homeless people actually have jobs. You can get a basic phone plan or minutes for super cheap, and it's much more valuable than you realize.
1. That's not what I said
2. Not true

Members don't see this ad :)
1. That's not what I said
2. Not true
1. That's what your comment insinuates - that they value drugs/sex over having a phone.
2. Number suggested by researchers is 25%, and up to 50% with on and off employment.

Reactions: 1 users
I realize that phones are essential to networking, obtaining gainful employment, and being somebody in the real world. No one has to explain this to me. However the facts are that you just plain don't see homeless people walking around with phones (especially smartphones). Whether they hide them in their pockets/pantlegs/hats/etc. remains to be seen :laugh:

Also re: the original post, if the homeless person has a job, they likely already have access to/ability to afford resources like health insurance, sliding scale clinics/regular doctor's offices, suicide hotlines, and transportation to mental health clinics that can hook them up w/more comprehensive social services (through a case worker).

1. That's what your comment insinuates - that they value drugs/sex over having a phone.
2. Number suggested by researchers is 25%, and up to 50% with on and off employment.
Now you're getting bogged down in the details. The question is how many homeless people possess and hold onto a cell phone.

That’s exactly what I thought. The homeless around here don’t have phones. Maybe OP called the shelters.
Typically shelters only have one phone line and it is for staff
DISCLAIMER: I have never been homeless but have volunteered in shelters and food banks and this was the case at most places.

Reactions: 1 user
I realize that phones are essential to networking, obtaining gainful employment, and being somebody in the real world. No one has to explain this to me. However the facts are that you just plain don't see homeless people walking around with phones (especially smartphones). Whether they hide them in their pockets/pantlegs/hats/etc. remains to be seen :laugh:

Also re: the original post, if the homeless person has a job, they likely already have access to/ability to afford resources like health insurance, sliding scale clinics/regular doctor's offices, suicide hotlines, and transportation to mental health clinics that can hook them up w/more comprehensive social services (through a case worker).
Having a job does not mean you can afford health insurance or doctor visits. The types of places that are willing to employ homeless people are not exactly white collar 9-5 jobs.

Back to OP's point about calling homeless people about resources, this could be about stuff like food stamps, openings in low income housing, job openings, maybe free haircuts at the park.

Having a job does not mean you can afford health insurance or doctor visits. The types of places that are willing to employ homeless people are not exactly white collar 9-5 jobs.

Back to OP's point about calling homeless people about resources, this could be about stuff like food stamps, openings in low income housing, job openings, maybe free haircuts at the park.
Well you have to pick a side. Either homeless people are worthless addicts who pawn their phones at the drop of a hat, or they all have jobs and access to the resources you mentioned above. Maybe there's a middle ground, but you're contradicting your earlier post:
shotgunlagoon said:
Like I am aware that it is valuable to own a phone. Ok. Also aware that eating a ring is not the greatest idea, and can tear up your insides unless you just pass it...if a homeless person gets a job, they're going to probably invest in housing first, not a phone. And then they're no longer homeless.

I'm done arguing about this for the night have a nice one y'all :cool:

Last edited:
  • Okay...
Reactions: 1 user
Yea possessing a phone at some point is one thing. Holding onto a phone and not pawning it for drugs or sex or a place to sleep is something else.
Those studies were examining current possession of a phone (not necessarily a smart phone). A large portion of these people end up with different phones/numbers, but that could be because they were using a cheap disposable flip phone, or had another working phone come into their possession (e.g. through gifting, federal/state programs, etc.). What's important is that despite this turnover, a large ("surprisingly high") portion of homeless people had a phone with them when these studies were conducted, presumably when cell phone possession was at a 'steady state'. I can only hope that the different research groups did not conduct their surveys shortly after Oprah-style phone giveaways in their respective regions. And given that many people also purchased their phone themselves, I suspect their phone is for personal use rather than to sell/exchange the now-used phone for something of greater monetary value.

While there are those who sell their possessions and/or provide bodily services for their substance use disorders, to insinuate that most are "pawning it for drugs or sex or a place to sleep" is a negative stereotype of the homeless (it should also be noted that the term "homeless" is used to describe a very diverse population). As physicians, we should all be mindful of these stereotypes and of our own potential biases. Just my thoughts.

Reactions: 4 users
Whoa I wasn’t expecting this when I came back to this thread. I should’ve clarified that the homeless I was helping suffered it recently due to a disaster of some kind like a house fire or tornado. So most people I called still have jobs, phones, etc. just not a stable place to live and all the things that were lost during the event.

Last edited:
  • Haha
The government provides free phones for very low income families. Lifeline Program for Low-Income Consumers

Also, because some families (not necessarily homeless) don't have unlimited plans, they buy minutes. Ergo, programs serving these folks are thoughtful to take a phone number and offer a call back rather than having someone sitting on hold for 20 minutes or 2 hours waiting to talk to a case worker.

But this makes the point that having students with many different points of views and life experiences makes for a richer classroom experience in a small group for problem based learning and such.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users

Huh, you been to nyc? The homeless watch movies all the time and hook up their phones on link city WiFi. It’s very common in shelters that I’ve worked at all throughout the city, to see those who are homeless with phones. Even those sleeping on trains pop out a smartphone, from their bag when others aren’t looking to protect themselves from being a target. I’ve been homeless and had one.

To clarify, I wasn't trying to stereotype homeless people. Just being real. Take it with a grain of salt.

• Okay...