Classes designed by an Extension School (No Undergrad Counterpart)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Spoodermen ND

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
I've been looking through some postbacc schools since I need to take the prereqs, and came across UCLA Extension. It looks like this school offers UCLA undergrad classes with an “XL” tag, meaning there’s an undergraduate counterpart to them at UCLA.

There are also some classes that are designed by UCLA Extension, and have no UCLA undergraduate counterpart to them. They’re labeled as “X”, and are “post-baccalaureate credit-bearing courses and lecture series in professional fields; designed in content, focus, and presentation style to standards of instruction used in degree programs.”

These classes seem to cost around $700, and offer 4 quarter units. For biology, they’re specifically Cancer Biology, Fundamentals of Physiology, Fundamentals of Immunology, Pathophysiology, and Neurophysiology.

Will taking these classes have a similar effect as taking upper division science classes at a 4-year? I’ll also be taking things like Cell Bio, Micro, Neurobio, and Endo during the summer at a CSU (much easier to get in), and I am wondering if these “X” classes at UCLA Extension will be a good supplement. Or, should I not bother and save myself $3000-$4000? Thanks for your advice!

Members don't see this ad.

If you're looking for classes to boost your gpa take the X classes. I have taken two of the above mentioned and they were quite easy compared to the undergrad courses I took at UCLA. The XL classes were more up to snuff in terms of content and difficulty but the competition is drastically lower so they also end up being quite easy.

Reactions: 1 users
If you're looking for classes to boost your gpa take the X classes. I have taken two of the above mentioned and they were quite easy compared to the undergrad courses I took at UCLA. The XL classes were more up to snuff in terms of content and difficulty but the competition is drastically lower so they also end up being quite easy.

Thanks. Did you have any issues with them being a part of your sGPA, since they're technically not undergrad classes? Were there any questions raised about them during your app cycle?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks. Did you have any issues with them being a part of your sGPA, since they're technically not undergrad classes? Were there any questions raised about them during your app cycle?

They still counted towards my overall sGPA. No questions were raised and the positive trend of hard upper division science courses during my senior + junior year and the postbacc coures on my transcript were received favorably. I should clarify that you definitely need to study for these courses and they aren't cake walks- just compared to main campus UCLA courses they were easier. Grading at UCLA is pretty unforgiving..

Reactions: 1 user
They still counted towards my overall sGPA. No questions were raised and the positive trend of hard upper division science courses during my senior + junior year and the postbacc coures on my transcript were received favorably. I should clarify that you definitely need to study for these courses and they aren't cake walks- just compared to main campus UCLA courses they were easier. Grading at UCLA is pretty unforgiving..

Yeah I definitely aren't assuming they're cakewalks, just want to make sure they count towards sGPA and don't raise any questions when I'm investing $3000-$4000 in them. Thanks!