retake physics/upper level physics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nela Riddle

Reaction score
I got the physics 2 credit from AP physics C E&M in high school but not physics 1. So I know I'll definitely have to retake physics 1, but I'm also seeing some schools don't take AP credit for physics at all, and instead require an upper-level class. Does anyone have experience with taking upper level physics when you didn't intend on it? The idea of physics 3 scares me (but it might be doable as a math major I guess). Or is retaking physics 2 the way to go?

Members don't see this ad.

I got the physics 2 credit from AP physics C E&M in high school but not physics 1. So I know I'll definitely have to retake physics 1, but I'm also seeing some schools don't take AP credit for physics at all, and instead require an upper-level class. Does anyone have experience with taking upper level physics when you didn't intend on it? The idea of physics 3 scares me (but it might be doable as a math major I guess). Or is retaking physics 2 the way to go?
Most schools want physics 1 and 2, and the associated labs for each.
Retake physics1 and take physics 1 lab and physics 2 lab in college.

Reactions: 1 user
Welcome to the forums.

We don't know where you attend school, so you need to check with your prehealth advising office and academic advisors about your question. I say this because I don't know if you have started taking prerequisites and whether your school goes on a semester or trimester system. I think the advice you received about taking an upper-level physics class is not accurate for many schools, as pointed out, but I need to confirm what your "physics 3" class would cover that could be relevant (radioactivity, optics and sound).

Members don't see this ad :)
Welcome to the forums.

We don't know where you attend school, so you need to check with your prehealth advising office and academic advisors about your question. I say this because I don't know if you have started taking prerequisites and whether your school goes on a semester or trimester system. I think the advice you received about taking an upper-level physics class is not accurate for many schools, as pointed out, but I need to confirm what your "physics 3" class would cover that could be relevant (radioactivity, optics and sound).

thanks for your reply. i'm citing websites like Carle's that states "Advanced Placement credit is accepted when succeeded by a higher-level course in the same subject at an undergraduate institution." so i picked physics 3 as just a random physics class i know has physics 2 as a prereq. "physics 3" at my school appears to focus on relativity, quantum physics, and particle physics. i think i may just go the physics 2 route so stay on the safe side

Reactions: 1 users
If the finances and time allows you, I'd 100% recommend taking physics 2.
I had physics 1 and 2 credit from high school coming into my undergrad, but decided to not transfer them, and complete physics 1 and 2. I knew most of the material so the course was relatively easier to do well on (there were some new concepts but the overall course was easier) and ended up being a GPA booster. My university also doesn't show any credits I had available from high school as a result from AP or IB on my transcript.

I'd recommend it just as a GPA booster. Aside from putting time and money into a course that you already mostly know, I don't see any other negatives. It also removes the hassles of dealing with AP credit and gives you a peace of mind thinking about what if medical schools don't accept it.
the only negative would be taking a 5 credit class vs a 3 credit class, which would mean going to a couple extra meetings a week. but seems worth it given that it'd be so much easier

The most common mistake that people make as a pre-med is taking your eye off the ball. In this metaphor, "the ball" is your GPA and the inciting factor to taking your eye off the ball is all of the other "stuff" that people stress about like "rigor" of courseload, getting a double major/minor, maxing out volunteer hours, etc. Those are all nice things to do, but it does not matter if you fumble your GPA because you were trying to do too much.

Retake physics 2 and appreciate the easy A.

Reactions: 1 users
thanks for your reply. i'm citing websites like Carle's that states "Advanced Placement credit is accepted when succeeded by a higher-level course in the same subject at an undergraduate institution." so i picked physics 3 as just a random physics class i know has physics 2 as a prereq. "physics 3" at my school appears to focus on relativity, quantum physics, and particle physics. i think i may just go the physics 2 route so stay on the safe side
Quantum is a step up in abstraction and difficulty in must curricula. I agree with others, just take Physics 2.

Quantum is a step up in abstraction and difficulty in must curricula. I agree with others, just take Physics 2.
Would probably be interesting, but ultimately not a time investment I can make. Thank you

Not to hijack the thread but also, I have personally found physics 2 (fluid dynamics specifically) to be one of the most useful undergrad courses to actually learning preclinical coursework (physiology to be specific).

Ochem? Nah. Even biochem is less important than you'd think. But physics two is basically all of cardiac and pulmonary physiology. It won't hurt you to see it again.