Classes for First Semester College

misterxji

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know these types of threads have been beat to death but I feel like I'm not keeping up with the competition.

Im taking:
Calculus for Life Science A
Chemistry
GE Class

I feel like my courseload is light compared to other students that would probably take bio on top of this course work. am i doing okay for my first semester of college or should i add another class?

Thanks in advance :)

Members don't see this ad.

I would add another class, as you only have 11 credits right now which doesn't even qualify as full time student (I'm assuming 4 for calc, 3 for chem +1 lab, and 3 for ge). The specifics are totally up to you, but most people try to knock out the english, biology, and general chem principles in their first year (11 credits/semester).

its 4 for Calc, 4 for Chem, and 5 for my GE (American Folklore)

and people advise me not to take Life Science my first year but i feel like i should just man up and study hard so i can be ahead of the game.

??

Members don't see this ad :)
Keep your credits at 13

Wait....

What are you on quarter or semester?

Keep your credits at 13

Wait....

What are you on quarter or semester?

oh shoot i forgot to mention. im on the quarter system and so i thought 3 classes should be good so i can get a feel for the quarter system and get used to college classes.

but it seems like a lot of people are taking life science, chem, and math in their first year so i might be behind

oh shoot i forgot to mention. im on the quarter system and so i thought 3 classes should be good so i can get a feel for the quarter system and get used to college classes.

but it seems like a lot of people are taking life science, chem, and math in their first year so i might be behind

DON'T conform, Your not competing with everyone else. Do what works for you.

Just start the bio series second quarter. You can spread the pre reqs out.

For example:

Freshmen
Fall (chem 1 and Cal 1)
Winter (chem 2 and Bio 1)
Spring (chem 3 and Bio 2)

Sophomore
Fall (Bio 3 and Org Chem 1)
etc.

DON'T conform, Your not competing with everyone else. Do what works for you.

Just start the bio series second quarter. You can spread the pre reqs out.

For example:

Freshmen
Fall (chem 1 and Cal 1)
Winter (chem 2 and Bio 1)
Spring (chem 3 and Bio 2)

Sophomore
Fall (Bio 3 and Org Chem 1)
etc.

okay thanks for answering my question, but i was thinking for sophomore year, would it be okay to take Org Chem in the summer and then physics sophomore year?

*Based off what I have read in the pre-allo forums*

Org Chem shouldn't be taken over the summer. However, if you do make sure its at your university(or another university) and not at a community college.

*Based off what I have read in the pre-allo forums*

Org Chem shouldn't be taken over the summer. However, if you do make sure its at your university(or another university) and not at a community college.

oh if im a college student, is hSDN the wrong section to post at? and thanks for the help so far.

and yeah i was planning to take Ochem at the university im attending

lol hSDN is the wrong section. Check out the pre-allo forum

Hey guys, sorry to go off topic, but would my freshman pre-pharm classes be sufficient if I decide to switch my major to pre med?

Here they are:

Fall
Biology 1: Cellular and Molecular
Chemical Principles 1
Expository Writing
Intro to Psychology
Calculus 1

Spring
Biology 2: Biology of Organisms
Chemical Principles 2
Expository Writing 2
American Culture
Calculus 2

Hey guys, sorry to go off topic, but would my freshman pre-pharm classes be sufficient if I decide to switch my major to pre med?

Here they are:

Fall
Biology 1: Cellular and Molecular
Chemical Principles 1
Expository Writing
Intro to Psychology
Calculus 1

Spring
Biology 2: Biology of Organisms
Chemical Principles 2
Expository Writing 2
American Culture
Calculus 2

EDIT: LOL I meant to say they would be sufficient if you decide to switch

Pre med reqs are:

1 year of Biology
1 year of Inorganic Chemistry
1 year of Organic Chemistry
1 year of Physics
1 year of English
*Some schools also require a few semesters of humanities*
----------------
Math req depends on what med school you apply to some require and others don't. Though some require a year or semester of math (Cal 1 & Stats recommended).

If pre pharm reqs are similar to pre med then you should not worry.

Last edited: