Cleveland Clinic (CCLCM) 2005 applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
well, it's another day (i'm really digging deep here...), has anyone heard anything more?

:scared:

Members don't see this ad.

Haven't heard a thing...

I have to admit that I'm neurotically checking my email. However, I'm starting to feel a bit doubtful. The entering class is so small and it seems like there are a lot of us waiting. I guess it all depends on how many people end up turning down CCLCM to attend someplace else.

Cleveland is my hometown, so CCLCM would be ideal for me.

Well, I guess I'll get back to work!

i emailed myers yday to find out what the status of the class/hold list is...i'll keep you all updated if she replies.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got the call from Dean Huztler today!! I am so excited about CCLCM and loved Case when I went there for second look. This has now made my decision for med school a lot easier. :) Good luck everyone . . . looks like decisions are being handed out pretty quickly after April 15th. :luck: :luck: :luck:

hey congrats! when did you get the call, this morning? it sounds like this week is the week for acceptances. i'm having a hard time concentrating on school work. meh. :scared:

medstylee said:
hey congrats! when did you get the call, this morning? it sounds like this week is the week for acceptances. i'm having a hard time concentrating on school work. meh. :scared:

meeeeee tooooooo!

I've been pretty level headed throughout this whole application process, but I think I'm starting to fray at the edges. It's hard to keep focused and motivated at work.

Congrats on the acceptance Sabrina!

Man...I hope I hear something! Anything!!

medstylee said:

Yeah, I got the call 'bout 10am (11am in Cleveland). Good luck!

Sabrinne said:
I got the call from Dean Huztler today!! I am so excited about CCLCM and loved Case when I went there for second look. This has now made my decision for med school a lot easier. :) Good luck everyone . . . looks like decisions are being handed out pretty quickly after April 15th. :luck: :luck: :luck:

Congrats on the good news! do you know which you're going to yet...? (cclcm or case?) cuz on your signature it still has case... just wondering. ;-)
also, how do the financial aid between the two schools compare?

bump. sigh... this is starting to get really depressing.

ardemus said:
Congrats on the good news! do you know which you're going to yet...? (cclcm or case?) cuz on your signature it still has case... just wondering. ;-)
also, how do the financial aid between the two schools compare?

Yeah, I'm soo lazy, haven't changed my sig yet. But I am 99.9999% sure I'll be at CCLCM. Although I haven't gotten any FA info yet, but Case only gives loans for ppl who didn't qualify for merit scholarships (like me), so CCLCM is a much better option for me. Also, the CCLCM program is a better fit for me too . . . I'm so excited! Now I just have to start looking for an apartment and roommate. *sigh* :)

Sabrinne said:
Yeah, I'm soo lazy, haven't changed my sig yet. But I am 99.9999% sure I'll be at CCLCM. Although I haven't gotten any FA info yet, but Case only gives loans for ppl who didn't qualify for merit scholarships (like me), so CCLCM is a much better option for me. Also, the CCLCM program is a better fit for me too . . . I'm so excited! Now I just have to start looking for an apartment and roommate. *sigh* :)

oh wow, so Case gives no grants at all? in their info sheet they claim to give 30-40% grants and the rest of it is loans. if this isn't true, then i should withdraw my waitlist from there...

CCLCM gives really great financial aid packages. =) i relinquished my spot for this year's class at the last minute. i wish you all good luck. :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
uclabruin2003 said:
go to CCLCM!!!!!!!

remember me from the re-visit? i won't be going there (but i sure was tempted to!). best of luck!

I'm really getting nervous!! :scared:

pleeeze let me hear something good soon *whine*

And a quick question for those waitlisted. Did you guys fill out and submit your FAFSA and NeedAccess forms even though we're not accepted?

i submitted a fafsa, but the only school i listed was georgetown, because they told me to submit one before april 15. so i guess, if i get lucky with cclcm, i can just add them on.

medstylee said:
i submitted a fafsa, but the only school i listed was georgetown, because they told me to submit one before april 15. so i guess, if i get lucky with cclcm, i can just add them on.

um, fafsa deadline for CCLCM was back in late february (2/18 or 2/24, i think). talk to ms. myers though. she's really helpful.

chinkemon said:
um, fafsa deadline for CCLCM was back in late february (2/18 or 2/24, i think). talk to ms. myers though. she's really helpful.

Don't worry about it though. i hadn't filled mine out until a few days ago and Ms. Myers said it's fine...

Hey Chinkemon, have you decided where you're going instead?

nina512 said:

And a quick question for those waitlisted. Did you guys fill out and submit your FAFSA and NeedAccess forms even though we're not accepted?
I'm new to this forum stuff...so sorry if I repeat anything.

Like most of you, I loved CCLM and am on hold. This might help some of you out. As I have other offers, I called to check on my status yesterday (4/20). Mrs. Meyers informed me they chose 25 people for the hold list to work through. I do not know if this means they offered 25 acceptances or are going to work through those applicants first. Good luck to you all!

Personally, I'm planning on defering admission to my 2nd choice and attempting to reapply with better MCAT scores and more volunteer experience.

jrae said:
I'm new to this forum stuff...so sorry if I repeat anything.

Like most of you, I loved CCLM and am on hold. This might help some of you out. As I have other offers, I called to check on my status yesterday (4/20). Mrs. Meyers informed me they chose 25 people for the hold list to work through. I do not know if this means they offered 25 acceptances or are going to work through those applicants first. Good luck to you all!

Personally, I'm planning on defering admission to my 2nd choice and attempting to reapply with better MCAT scores and more volunteer experience.

thanks for letting us know! i think this is exactly what they did last year. last year, after april 15, they cut the hold list down considerably. most of us received rejections right around april 15 and a few people who remained under consideration were accepted a few days later. i guess they just didn't send out rejections yet this year. anyway, i really hope that a) i'm one of those 25 people and b) that they still have open spots. :scared:

ardemus said:
Don't worry about it though. i hadn't filled mine out until a few days ago and Ms. Myers said it's fine...

Hey Chinkemon, have you decided where you're going instead?

i'll be doing md/phd at ohio state.

ardemus said:
oh wow, so Case gives no grants at all? in their info sheet they claim to give 30-40% grants and the rest of it is loans. if this isn't true, then i should withdraw my waitlist from there...

Thats the impression they gave me, but like I said, I haven't gotten a package from them yet and probably won't because I'll be withdrawing shortly. Did you like Case more than CCLCM? (just cuz you are considering staying on the waitlist)

nina512 said:

I did my FAFSA and Need Access for Case because I was going to go there if there was no peep from CCLCM. I would do the FAFSA because its short, painless, and takes a day or two to process, but NeedAccess costs 15 dollars to submit - so you might want to keep that in mind if you haven't heard yet. When I talked to Ms. Meyers today, she said that once completed the FA packages come out pretty quick. Hope this helps.

Thanks! For those answers re FA

My impression is that once CCLCM decides they want you, they'll work with you on the FA even if the applications are a bit late.

Medstylee,
So when you applied last year, were you waitlisted and spots never opened up?

I'm starting to be pessimistic. I just don't believe that enough people will turn down CCLCM for there to be significant waitlist movement. But who knows...I guess any news is good news right now, even knowing that rejections will be sent out. Just like you, medstylee, I hope to still be one of the 25!

Sabrinne said:
Thats the impression they gave me, but like I said, I haven't gotten a package from them yet and probably won't because I'll be withdrawing shortly. Did you like Case more than CCLCM? (just cuz you are considering staying on the waitlist)

Did you talk to the admissions office after you got accepted or is that just the impression you got during the interview day?

I guess i'm still undecided about which i like more ... Each has its advantages :-\ e.g. CCLCM would give me tons more research and clinical experience... while I like Case's schedule more (where the afternoons are free for electives/research/preceptorship/whatever). Also i prefer larger class size, but smaller class also means more individualized attention.
However, if one gives grants and the other is entirely loans, that would make my decision a lot easier. ;)

ardemus said:
Did you talk to the admissions office after you got accepted or is that just the impression you got during the interview day?

I guess i'm still undecided about which i like more ... Each has its advantages :-\ e.g. CCLCM would give me tons more research and clinical experience... while I like Case's schedule more (where the afternoons are free for electives/research/preceptorship/whatever). Also i prefer larger class size, but smaller class also means more individualized attention.
However, if one gives grants and the other is entirely loans, that would make my decision a lot easier. ;)

The impression I got at my interview: the sample FA package showed maybe 8000 in grants and 8000 in case loans, 27,000 in federal loans, and the rest was student/parent contribution. Thats a lot of loans if you don't have a scholarship. :( I guess my view with CCLCM is that I like the fact that we get to work with patients right away and I'm not too big on lectures - makes me sleep like nothing else. The small class is a little daunting but I'm hoping to live with a Case student to meet more people. :)

ardemus said:
e.g. CCLCM would give me tons more research and clinical experience... while I like Case's schedule more (where the afternoons are free for electives/research/preceptorship/whatever).

CCLCM students get most all afternoons off. Plus they don't have class AT ALL on Thursdays...

so my cclcm pen i got during interview day ran out today. how cryptic, right? :thumbdown:

oh no...I'd call Dr. Hutzler and try to get some info.

medstylee said:
so my cclcm pen i got during interview day ran out today. how cryptic, right? :thumbdown:

jjmack said:
oh no...I'd call Dr. Hutzler and try to get some info.

was that just your blunt sarcasm, or are you suggesting that we actually call him up to inquire about the hold list/admissions?

I think you should really call and try to get some info about your spot on the list.

medstylee said:
was that just your blunt sarcasm, or are you suggesting that we actually call him up to inquire about the hold list/admissions?

ahh, gotcha. sorry to question your helpfulness! yeah, i might call if i can build up the nerve. i feel like i may have bothered them enough already this application cycle. if i hear anything, i'll let everyone know.

Has anyone heard anything during the last few days?

I was accepted off the hold list yesterday! Theres hope for the rest of you, even though I will accept this offer!

Congrats stopper!!!

I've literally had given up hope that CCLCM class still accepting new students since their class size is so small!

Hopefully a few more spots will open up for some of us!

Did you recieve any info before they called you? Like were you one the "waitlis of 25 students?"

I was curious if anyone else was planning on reapplying to CCLM next year? Or did you decided to accept other offers?

Actually I just talked with Ms. Myers and she said that last year they accepted their last person on July 2. So I would hold out hope for those of us on the hold list!

Did Ms. Myers tell you anything about what the current movement on the list is like? Is it stagnant at the moment? I'm starting to focus on Georgetown because I just seems like such a far shot for CCLCM by now. hmphhh.

stopper10 said:
I was accepted off the hold list yesterday! Theres hope for the rest of you, even though I will accept this offer!

Congrats Stopper! Welcome to the class!

medstylee said:
Did Ms. Myers tell you anything about what the current movement on the list is like? Is it stagnant at the moment? I'm starting to focus on Georgetown because I just seems like such a far shot for CCLCM by now. hmphhh.

I would really call her and talk with her. Every situation is different. I recently talked with her about my situation and she was very helpful, even took it to the dean. You will never know where you stand if you don't call and ask. Good luck!

Any new developments?? I haven't heard anything yet and am starting to get very anxious.

reddyroo said:
Any new developments?? I haven't heard anything yet and am starting to get very anxious.
I am waiting for my letter to come saying that they are sorry they can no longer consider my application.

Here's the deal. The class is now full. They *might* take a few off the hold list post-May 15 (when other schools' waitlists start moving), but I would guess not more than a couple kids.

that sucks... :(

chitown82 said:
Here's the deal. The class is now full. They *might* take a few off the hold list post-May 15 (when other schools' waitlists start moving), but I would guess not more than a couple kids.

Really? Wow. That does suck! Did you call and talk to someone? When did the class fill up? I like CCLCM a lot, this rejection will hurt more than most of my other rejections :(

reddyroo said:
Really? Wow. That does suck! Did you call and talk to someone? When did the class fill up? I like CCLCM a lot, this rejection will hurt more than most of my other rejections :(
Has anyone actually received a post-hold rejection letter since the April 15th selections? I spoke with admissions today and was told that they have send out rejections since April 15th, and that by the end of the month most/all of the rejections that are expected to be sent before the class actually begins should be out. I am still waiting on mine.