cleveland clinic & housing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medstylee

1K Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I meant to ask about this at my interview and then it totally slipped my mind - does anyone know what housing will be like at CCLCM? Do they offer anything or is it up to students to find their own places? If anyone knows, let me know - I feel bad about calling Elizabeth Myers for a thousandth time!

Also, I'd like to add that the Cleveland Clinic rocked so hard! Definitely the coolest place I've been to yet.

Members don't see this ad.

I think they will help you with housing, but it's going to be up to you to find out where ;).

Cleveland Clinic was indeed a cool place ;). Sucks I'm on hold there ;). Are they even rejecting anyone yet?

i don't think they have student housing, but i'm sure they'll help you get set up with it. i asked the tour guide about housing while i was there, and he said there was an area close to CWRU/CCF that lots of med student live in, and you can get a decent 2 BR for roughly $700/mo. it's my understanding that they overbuilt housing in cleveland, and so they often give you great deals for signing a lease. cost of living is really cheap there, compared to cities of comparable size.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey, thanks for the info guys.

kashue - i don't really think being on hold is anything to worry about now. aren't most people getting "hold" decisions? i am under the impression that very very few are getting acceptances now and most are being put on hold and then will be reviewed again in late january. i'm wondering about rejections too - for some reason, i dont' think they've sent any out yet (?)

Originally posted by medstylee
hey, thanks for the info guys.

kashue - i don't really think being on hold is anything to worry about now. aren't most people getting "hold" decisions? i am under the impression that very very few are getting acceptances now and most are being put on hold and then will be reviewed again in late january. i'm wondering about rejections too - for some reason, i dont' think they've sent any out yet (?)

Here are my calculations and detective work:

I believe four SDN'ers have been accepted to CCLCM: Duka, autobot, omisoc, and askew01(correct me if I'm wrong). And there is another person in Mdapplicants who has been accepted to CCLCM whose profile doesn't fit any of those 4(except omisoc who has her profile featured and is one of the accepted applicants at MDapplicants). So, that's a total of 5 people accepted to CCLCM. So, let's see, if SDN represents even 25% of all the accepted pool, that makes 20 or so people already accepted.

CCLCM is interviewing at an average of 4 people per interview day, 3 interview days per week = 12 people per week average. They've been interviewing since October and I believe the interview season ends Febuary? That makes 5 months of interviews = 20 weeks * 12 interviewees/week = 240 interviews. Dr. Hutzler said he expects to give around 80 acceptances to fill his 32 class. ~33% acceptance rate.

I have received my acceptance to Case, but am still eagerly awaiting word from the Clinic...did you all get your letters at the same time, did the Clinic email you, or were the letters staggered? It's really horrible, but I'm at the point where I am camping out in the bushes next to my mailbox waiting for Santa Claus to arrive...

Originally posted by SoulRFlare
I have received my acceptance to Case, but am still eagerly awaiting word from the Clinic...did you all get your letters at the same time, did the Clinic email you, or were the letters staggered? It's really horrible, but I'm at the point where I am camping out in the bushes next to my mailbox waiting for Santa Claus to arrive...

I called and was told that I was on hold. I still haven't gotton the hold letter and I don't think they are going to even bother sending me one ;). They want to keep me in purgatory till February?

I got accepted to Case too, which is a great place. The cool thing is that even if you don't get into Clinic, you can still do your 3rd and 4th years at the Clinic.

Where do you think CCLM ranks compared to USC or Albert Einstein?

Originally posted by askew01
Where do you think CCLM ranks compared to USC or Albert Einstein?

Same as case?

Even for Kashue, who flailed for a good half minute about the failing of CCLM in another thread, I suspect, would rather go there than Case. In fact, I sense that among us eager Case accepts, there will be more than mere slight pangs of regret if we do not also get into CCLM. I admit it forthright - for one who did not even apply to CCLM until after having been admitted to Case, I would rather attend CCLM. Is this true for everybody on this thread? Why is soulrflair hiding out in the bushes when he's (she's?) in at Case?

Will some of you have trouble attending Case if not admitted to CCLM?

Here's hoping we all get in to wherever.

Judd

i'd guess it would be same as case for the first year - but, it seems to me like it has potential to go pretty high up. it seems like the interviewees in my group as well as in other peoples' groups have been real competitive candidates - interviewing at top schools, etc. also the newly combined funding of case and cleveland clinic will be something like the sixth highest of any institution in US (according to the associate admissions dean). so, i know that funding has a heavy weight in terms of rankings.

but, at least for me, i can't really compare CCLCM to other schools i've seen individually. i feel like cclcm is so different from the others and that i have to decide if i really want the 5 year program or a more traditional 4 year program (obviously i'm not applying md/phd or mstp anywhere). cclcm was really cool and i'm really glad i had the chance to visit - i think i have a lot of thinking to do about how i like the curriculum though - i feel like it has to fit one's interests and ideals really specifically.

Originally posted by juddson
Even for Kashue, who flailed for a good half minute about the failing of CCLM in another thread, I suspect, would rather go there than Case. In fact, I sense that among us eager Case accepts, there will be more than mere slight pangs of regret if we do not also get into CCLM. I admit it forthright - for one who did not even apply to CCLM until after having been admitted to Case, I would rather attend CCLM. Is this true for everybody on this thread? Why is soulrflair hiding out in the bushes when he's (she's?) in at Case?

Will some of you have trouble attending Case if not admitted to CCLM?

Here's hoping we all get in to wherever.

Judd

Naw. Case is still one of my top choices.

hehe...I'm actually really excited about the prospect of going to Case, and I could see myself choosing it over some higher ranked schools...
what appeals to me about CCLCM, however, is the small class size (though that could definitely have its downfalls), the enthusiasm and sense of destiny exuded by the staff, the radical approach (though I am concerned, as you can probably tell from my other posts, about the whole issue of prosectional anatomy), and the opportunity to be the inagural class of a potentially great institution. I'm also intrigued by the idea of the physician investigator--I could never devote myself exclusively to research because of my clinical leanings, but am creative and curious enough that I could see myself feeling stifled by purely clinical work.
also, I felt an instant click at Lerner (and to an extent Case as well) that I didn't feel at my other interviews

Also, Cleveland Clinic is part of Case. The big difference from Case's program and Clinic is the first 2 years. A Case student could do 2 years at Case and the other 2 at Clinic.

Case rocks even without the Clinic. With the clinic, it rock and rolls!

(sorry if that sounds corny).

Originally posted by Kashue

Case rocks even without the Clinic. With the clinic, it rock and rolls!

(sorry if that sounds corny).

no man.. no. :p

back to the housing issue: when I asked about it, they said they would be using the same resources as the case students, so that means we get a housing list of places and a listserve of people who are looking, as far as I understood.

i heard from case first, then got the "hold" letter from CCLCM a little over a week later. it might be different for other people, though, depending on how the adcom meeting schedule shakes out.

case is the only school i've been accepted at (so far!), and it and CCLCM are definitely in my top 4, along with UIowa and Pitt. i think there are definite advantages and disadvantages to going to cleveland clinic vs. case.

the thing i like most about case is the curriculum, and specifically the elective program. it's amazing- they have TONS of mini-courses you can take in the first two years- anything from sitting in on neurosurgery a few times a week (and being responsible for becoming familiar with the procedures that are being preformed) to doing psych intakes at the free clinic to seminars on medical ethics. your first year, you can pick up to two areas of concentration out of around 30 different areas, which i imagine would look great to residency directors. there are also a wealth of elective rotations in the 3rd and 4th years (including research rotations), and i think some of them can be done at CCF, since they've broken their agreement with OSU. if anyone thinking of attending case hasn't looked up the elective catalog on their homepage, i'd reccommend it- it got me really excited about the curriculum.

The clinic program seems much more intensive- not only is it 5 years, but you start in july and end in may, if i remember correctly. from what i gathered from the interview day, the curriculum is a bit less flexible than the case curriculum, but the PBL facilities are fantastic, and small-group learning has its obvious advantages. i'm not really concerned about it being a new program- the "name-brand" of cleveland clinic is known worldwide, and the extensive research experience you'll get there will definitely help in securing competitive residencies and fellowships. to me, the small class size would be great for learning, but i'm kinda concerned about the social implications of being in a class of only 32 students, especially when there won't be 2nd through 4th year students also in the program.

thanks to everyone who talks about CCLCM a lot- i have a few concerns about the program, but if i do get accepted, it'd be pretty hard to turn down.

I may have been one of the few that only applied to the clinic program. I wonder if that had anything to do with them accpeting me early.....

Does anyone know if students at the clinic will have the same "student" status as a cwru medical student. e.g. do we have access to cwru's facilities, libararies, gym etc?

Other question, Ive noticed that many medical schools are suggesting/requiring laptops, do they usually expect you to provide one or do they buy some in bulk and sell them to their students at some discounted rate.

at the interview, they said that we did basically have the same kinds of perks that CWRU students do, that you can take any course case offers, etc. students in the clinic program are also given a laptop, just like CWRU students, and the faculty member that was our tour guide for the research institute said we were going to be given PDA's, though apparently that hasn't been finalized yet.

i am also one of "the few" (i was wondering also) that only applied to CCLCM and not Case. (autobot - that would be fantastic if that's how it works out!) THe oither 3 at my interview were all interviewing at case and all the faculty seemed perplexed about why i hadn't applied to case as well. anyway - as a cclcm student, you would have access to the facilities, clubs, etc at case. from my interview, i feel that that is one of the main attractions cclcm is trying to push, actually. also, i think maybe several medical schools have an option for providing laptops, but i think it's a special case at cclcm. since everything is so technology based (ie. the pbl rooms) they want to make sure everyone has access to all the same tools - they will provide laptops and pda's (i felt like this was a definite thing, with the pda
s - i interview just this past thursday 12/18).

- also, thanks, duka, for bringing up the housing again!

In addition to what has been said about the availability of the Case facilities (all of them are available), I should like to add that all of the faculty and labs are also available to you. This means that you do NOT have to do your research at CCLM. If you find an investigator or lab at one of Case's facilties, you are welcome to work with that lab for your research project.

It's very flexible.

Judd