clinical experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

foot2foot

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Being a patient. Is it clinical experience?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)

I think if that is one of the reasons you are pursuing medicine, you can use that in your personal statement. However, that cant be something that can be substituted for a shadowing experience, if that's what you are asking.

Depends, do you have multiple personalities that you could talk with while in the hospital bed? That might count for patient interaction.
Seriously, theres no need to be rude or condescending. People come here for legit advice. Theres enough crappy people in the world, dont bring that mess here.

Reactions: 2 users
I agree with Indianarn... I know a few people that got inspired to go into medicine b/c of the care they received. But still think you need paid and/or volunteer clinical experience

Motivation for med school, yes. Clinical experience, no.

The clinical experience med schools want you to have is showing that you know what you're getting into, that you know what a doctor's day is like, and that you'll actually like being around sick people for the next 30-40 years.

Reactions: 1 user
Seriously, theres no need to be rude or condescending. People come here for legit advice. Theres enough crappy people in the world, dont bring that mess here.

Thanks for this comment. Seriously, the attitudes around here can be exhausting. Glad it was confined to that one comment at least.

As far as your question, OP, I think being a patient is clinical exposure, but it's definitely not clinical experience. Like others have said, it can be a motivating factor, but it's not reflective of a comprehensive view of medicine & why you've chosen to pursue it as a career.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's an experience from a patient perspective, which can give valuable insight. See the movie, "The Doctor," with William Hurt.

It doesn't not, however, count from the perspective of getting to know the feel and role in active, clinical care. Those experiences from the providers' perspective are invaluable in helping you to assess clinical medicine as a "fit" for you. Seriously.