Clinical Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Southern_Weather

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear SDN,
I know that clinical exposure is quite important. I have close to 3000 hours of clinical exposure working as a CNA in the hospital and some of it from working in nursing homes. I recently quit the hospital and am now working at an Alzheimer's assisted living facility. I was curious as to how this will reflect on my application or rather how much it will help. I currently have a 3.4 cumulative GPA and close to 3.5 science GPA, I have not taken the MCAT yet. I realize my stats are pretty average so I just wanted to know how my experience stacks up. Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Dear SDN,
I know that clinical exposure is quite important. I have close to 3000 hours of clinical exposure working as a CNA in the hospital and some of it from working in nursing homes. I recently quit the hospital and am now working at an Alzheimer's assisted living facility. I was curious as to how this will reflect on my application or rather how much it will help. I currently have a 3.4 cumulative GPA and close to 3.5 science GPA, I have not taken the MCAT yet. I realize my stats are pretty average so I just wanted to know how my experience stacks up. Thank you

Did you shadow a doctor (MD or DO)? Your clinical experience is pretty good but everything is going to depend on your MCAT. Without a score its hard to judge where you stand right now.

I know the MCAT is clearly the most important missing factor here. I have not shadowed a physician yet aside from 20 hours of surgical shadowing. I am debating on whether to apply this coming cycle in June or wait until next year to apply.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know the MCAT is clearly the most important missing factor here. I have not shadowed a physician yet aside from 20 hours of surgical shadowing. I am debating on whether to apply this coming cycle in June or wait until next year to apply.
When are you planning on taking the MCAT?

I am shooting for the summer probably around July and I realize that means I wont get my score until August and then submitting my application and all that will put me quite late in applying. Which is why I am considering waiting until next year. But if my current stats are solid, aside from MCAT, I may still attempt this year.

I am shooting for the summer probably around July and I realize that means I wont get my score until August and then submitting my application and all that will put me quite late in applying. Which is why I am considering waiting until next year. But if my current stats are solid, aside from MCAT, I may still attempt this year.

I don't think August is considered late as long as you get all your secondaries in first. If you get a good MCAT score then you should definitely apply this year.

Thank you. How much do you think my clinical experience will make up for other potential short comings I my have such as volunteering and other expected E.C.s?

Thank you. How much do you think my clinical experience will make up for other potential short comings I my have such as volunteering and other expected E.C.s?

I think it depends on the school. Some schools like MSU place a lot of weight on volunteer hours. But tbh think it all really comes down to stats. I don't think you need to worry too much about your ECs as long as you've done some shadowing and have a LOR from a doctor. I think ECs only start to really matter when you have a borderline gpa and mcat. If you want to play it safe then I recommend that you shadow a DO or get some sort of exposure to DOs since some secondary applications will ask you about it.

I don't think it comes down to hours spent or the various activities you've done, but instead what you got out of them. I work as a tech and everyday I am reminded why I want to go into medicine.

Unfortunately its the hours and various activities that the admission committee see and go off of.

I am getting mixed answers from people I've been asking, even from the directors of medical schools I've asked, in regard to being a re-applicant. Most are claiming it is not a big deal to be a re-applicant (even the medical schools) but from all I've read, its better to have a solid application and be a first time applicant as opposed to re-applicant.
The reason I state this is because I could apply this upcoming cycle sometime in August and have a decent application or I could wait until the next cycle and spend the time in between strengthening my application.

Thoughts?

It's really hard to say. At the end of the day you wont know what exactly it was that got you an acceptance letter (be it your stats -- ECs -- interview ext). I went into this cycle hoping to submit the best possible application I could broadly. I agonized over every word and comma of my personal statement and essays and made sure to highlight my ECs as best as I could.

Assuming you do fine on the MCAT your numbers will not be an issue. Make sure you have LORs lined up and work on your essays and you will get interviews. Also don't stress TOO much about applying in August. I wasn't verified until November and will hopefully have my 3rd acceptance letter by the end of this week!

Wow! Very inspirational, thank you! So your advice is to just go for it this cycle as opposed to waiting?

Wow! Very inspirational, thank you! So your advice is to just go for it this cycle as opposed to waiting?

If this is your dream (like it is mine) and you feel ready to start med school, absolutely. If it helps you, I went into this cycle worried I wouldn't get any interviews. I have a 3.6 cGPA (non-science major), 3.1-.3.2 sGPA and scored 24 my on my first MCAT. I was devastated by that, but retook the test in September (26) and as I mentioned was verified by early-mid November. Just apply broadly --including and especially newer schools.

Good luck! Let me know if I can answer any more questions.

You don't need to volunteer with that much clinical. I worked as a CNA for 7 years and was in your shoes. I made sure when the doctors rounded, that I was able to see patients with them during that time. Use your job to see what they do. Be in on procedures if you can and assist at the bedside. Don't disappear out of your patient's room just because the doctor is doing their job but make sure you clear with the doc first to be in there during their interview and exam, etc.

100% great experience.

Dear SDN,

The MCAT has been discussed. You didn't mention your letters of recommendation. Strong, personalized letters will get you far.