Clinical Grades

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WilburSK

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a 4th year, interested in ENT and ophtho as a specialty. I did well on STEP: 246. Decent research, nothing amazing. Really good letters from faculty. Middling med school. No AOA.

Here's the worst part though. I got all pass during my 3rd year. We have HP and H, but I didn't manage to snag any of those grades. (70-75% get pass for any given rotation)

So now I am a bit worked up about my competitiveness for ENT. How much do you think my grades will hurt my chances of matching? How about top programs? Also, do you think I should do a year of research to offset my bad grades?

Members don't see this ad.

The straight passes really hurt. I think a top program becomes very unlikely, and matching becomes tenuous, but not impossible. You need something else to make you stand out.

What can I do to stand out? A research year? Will that make up some of the difference

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a 4th year, interested in ENT and ophtho as a specialty. I did well on STEP: 246. Decent research, nothing amazing. Really good letters from faculty. Middling med school. No AOA.

Here's the worst part though. I got all pass during my 3rd year. We have HP and H, but I didn't manage to snag any of those grades. (70-75% get pass for any given rotation)

So now I am a bit worked up about my competitiveness for ENT. How much do you think my grades will hurt my chances of matching? How about top programs? Also, do you think I should do a year of research to offset my bad grades?

Good letters from ENT faculty who are willing to make calls for you? Or faculty in other specialties?

Just stating the obvious :

A research year (done well) should make you stand out, and may get you in somewhere, or get you in to a more competitive program.

The question remains as to why you didn't honor any 3rd year rotations.

Step I is an equalizer for preclinical grades, but ENT programs want the "best" medical students.

Clinical grades are a reflect your performance on a variety of things - popularity contest, common sense, work ethic, clinical knowledge exam performance, etc. You should be able to excel at these things to be on par with other ENT applicants.

Last edited:
A (productive) research year says something about your ability to do research and publish, as well as your commitment. Clinical grades say something completely different, which can't be made up for with a research year.

I would really focus on destroying your subI and get some glowing letters that say you're the best damn clinical med student in the Western hemisphere.

Thanks for your good input. The reason I didn't do well is twofold (all of which are true and not intended to be excuses). 1. Our school is cutting down on the amount of high pass and honors. Roughly 75% get pass on any given rotation. 2. I either missed the exam cut-off (75th percentile for HP and 90 percentile for H) or I didn't get enough subjective honors from faculty.

I always received good written reviews, no negative comments and I am generally a good person to work with (and attested by the evals that faculty wrote). I am very tight with my home ENT program and I know that I could get good letters from them.

Essentially my 3rd year grades was a storm of missing cut offs (3 times by a point or two including surgery and internal). I know that I should have done better (I worked my ass off and had a good attitude every rotation), but there is nothing I can do about it now. I still want to do ENT and I think it is possible…here's to hoping i get a shot