Clinical internship cancelled due to medical condition. Fretting future.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kmcguire

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, I am not sure what to expect with my current situation and I thought I'd find out if anyone else has gone through what I am experiencing now -

I was in the middle of the first of my three internships in my third year when I had an autoimmune reaction to a virus which destroyed a little bit of my brachial plexus (brachial neuritis, aka, Parsonage Turner Syndrome, if anyone is interested). I am scheduled for nerve conduction studies on the 22nd, but as of now it's clear that I've lost the use of my deltoids and probably my infraspinatus. Basically, I don't have a fully functional on my non-dominant side, but I can definitely do SOME things with it.

So, my current clinical is outpatient, and is heavily based in a manual therapy approach. The clinic took me on knowing the disorder, and said they'd give me a trial but couldn't commit to maintaining me due to the potential risk as well as my potential inability to fully function. I was told tonight that I am adequately prepared from an intellectual standpoint, but that my physical impairment just limits me too much to do enough to pass the rotation to my full ability and therefore I need to take a leave or find a clinic more based in exercise than manual therapy.

Anyone been in my shoes before? I have an acute setting for my final rotation so I am pretty much pessimistic regarding that one as well, because I think I will be viewed as a liability in term of patient safety. I ultimately want to work with neurological patients or in a rehab setting (I loved my SNF rotation, which was a shock for this gym rat). I'm dreading the concept of a medical leave, especially because my arm may not heal for months to a year.

Members don't see this ad.

This must be very difficult for you. Have you talked with your professors & faculty to ask whether or not you can switch to a different clinic that's better suited to your needs with you still being able to fulfill the requirements? I'm not sure if that's possible for you with your condition, but if there is a way for you to complete the rotation, then I'd do that.

Last semester, I had to have an abdominal surgery which kept me out of school for 4 weeks. I was going to voluntarily defer to next Fall, but my advisor and professors are very accommodating and gave me until the beginning of Spring semester to complete all my work. It really depends on how flexible your school is, in my opinion. Some are more willing to work with students and some aren't.

Good luck, I know you don't want to defer your schooling.