Clinical Shadowing Problems

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureMSTP

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I finally have an opportunity to shadow in a surgical specialty. However, I actually haven't started shadowing. I met a resident sometime time ago at a research conference and then got into contact with her through email. I did the paperwork and got my badge so I can start shadowing her. The first week she wasn't at the hospital so I waited for next week. I was able to go to a conference which was very interesting but I was not able to shadow the resident since she still wasn't back from her break. She told me via to shadow the other residents or fellows. Whenever I talk to them they always tell me that they're busy or something. I don't know how to introduce myself to the attendings. I try calling the office of the clinic but they always hang up on me. -_- I don't know what to do now other than to keep emailing the resident I'm in contact with to find a time to see her. I don't want to go into an operating room five minutes before they start without any formal introduction. Any advice?

Update: I was finally able to set a day with the chief resident to observe a case. It was really cool and I now have her phone number. Now, I just want to work on getting to the other physicians.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You need to look for another place or doc to shadow. It sounds like the resident is having big second thoughts about the whole thing. If she wanted to help you she’d either introduce you to someone who will let you shadow or she’d give you a date and time to meet her to do the shadowing. Perhaps her attendings have said no. I’m surprised she would even offer without setting it up or clearing it first. What kind of badge did you get? Shadowing? Volunteer? Are you just showing up unannounced at the hospital looking for the residents/fellows?
There really seems to be a big disconnect so you probably need to move on. Look for a primary care doc. And there is no way you’d get anywhere near the OR without every step followed.

I agree there has been a big disconnect but the resident I am in contact has been nice to me. She tells me that has been taking courses to catch up with her program and that things should get more normal. The badge I have is an observership badge which similar to what a medical student would have. I don't want to move on to another physician just yet I did pay a non-refundable fee for the application process and I don't want to waste this opportunity.

Members don't see this ad :)
They charged you to fill in an application? Wow, I had no idea that was a thing. Hmm. Anyway, you seem to want to wait so wait. No harm in that I guess. According to a previous post you are or have already shadowed a Chief resident. You really might want to find a primary care doc with a practice. It would give you a totally different perspective of medicine than following a chief around.

Thanks for the advice. Honestly, private practice is not a field I'm interested in. I'm into academic medicine but I'm open to obtaining more experiences (it wouldn't hurt). The chief resident is working with me to find a good date to meet up right now.

Thanks for the advice. Honestly, private practice is not a field I'm interested in. I'm into academic medicine but I'm open to obtaining more experiences (it wouldn't hurt). The chief resident is working with me to find a good date to meet up right now.

Whether you are interested or not, it is pretty much an expected activity for your application. So you haven’t shadowed the chief resident, you just said you had. I’m not sure this activity (chief resident shadowing)will be as impressive on your app as you think it will. But you do you. You don’t seem open to suggestions. Not sure why you made this thread but whatever. I’m out.

I appreciate the advice. I'm sorry if I was coming off as disregarding. I just want to see how much can I get from shadowing this chief resident, who is an MD PhD (the program I want to go into) before I move on to other activities. However, I will look into shadowing primary care provider.