clinical volunteering crucial? or will compensation work

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ineed2stpsmurfn

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have about 250 hours shadowing all types of docs, (100=interventional cards [2 docs], 20=neurosurgeon, 20=Gsurg, 50=anesthesia, 30=family [all DO], 30=em) would that compensate for not being able to have enough time to get really any clinical volunteer time in? It was between clinical volunteering and research, so i chose research with a teacher I've had 2 classes with and knows me like the back of her hand for a good lor as well (go private schools!) -my research is going to lead to a poster presentation. how do you guys think adcoms would look at this?

Members don't see this ad.

I have about 250 hours shadowing all types of docs, (100=interventional cards [2 docs], 20=neurosurgeon, 20=Gsurg, 50=anesthesia, 30=family [all DO], 30=em) would that compensate for not being able to have enough time to get really any clinical volunteer time in? It was between clinical volunteering and research, so i chose research with a teacher I've had 2 classes with and knows me like the back of her hand for a good lor as well (go private schools!) -my research is going to lead to a poster presentation. how do you guys think adcoms would look at this?

You won't look very altruistic unless you do the time.

well I have volunteering.. 100 hours in fact at 1 gig.. prolly gonna go for maybe 25 more at something else.. it's just not.. clinical. I'm wondering if the shadowing makes up for the fact that the volunteering I have isn't clinical...

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you're good, but the entire admissions process is such a crapshoot, so who knows.

no. i worked as a patient transporter and volunteered at my kids' school. no one questioned it with regards to clinical volunteering (it is a catholic school so I got other questions). it didn't hurt. If you have other volunteering you will be fine.

excellent. I thought of it this way... If i were an adcom, I'd want me to see the widest scope of medicine available and to volunteer in whatever I'm really passionate about. For me, that happens to be cardiac stents & electrophysiology studies, surgeries, a rural clinic, and tutoring inner city kids. At least, I hope they see things that way lol..