'Clinical Wards Secrets' or 'Hospital Medicine Secrets'

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Brrooother

Rad Zonie
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, all,

I did a search on this and didn't find much specifically on these two books, so hopefully I'm not being redundant, but has anyone used either of these?

I really like 'Step 1 Secrets' as more of a read on concepts to pair with the more outline-type books, so I was curious about these for my Internal Med rotation. I'm having a hard time figuring out how they are different from each other as well, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Again, one is "Clinical Wards Secrets" and the other is "Hospital Medicine Secrets". Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm going to answer a different question.

I think you're asking "what book should I use for Internal Medicine?" If thats the case, use Step-Up or the Kaplan Notes if you can get your hands on them legally.

Maybe you're asking "what POCKET book should I use for Internal Medicine?" If thats the case, use Case Files or Step 2 Secrets if you are going to study for the shelf only. Really, Pocket Medicine (the green or red book, it doesnt matter which edition) is superior.

I have not come across either of the books you suggested as being legit. They might be perfectly fine. They actually may be better than what I've suggested. But what I've suggested has been time tested, proven over and over again. I'd stay away from the "hidden gem no one has found yet." Its probably not worth very much...

I'm going to answer a different question.

I think you're asking "what book should I use for Internal Medicine?" If thats the case, use Step-Up or the Kaplan Notes if you can get your hands on them legally.

Maybe you're asking "what POCKET book should I use for Internal Medicine?" If thats the case, use Case Files or Step 2 Secrets if you are going to study for the shelf only. Really, Pocket Medicine (the green or red book, it doesnt matter which edition) is superior.

I have not come across either of the books you suggested as being legit. They might be perfectly fine. They actually may be better than what I've suggested. But what I've suggested has been time tested, proven over and over again. I'd stay away from the "hidden gem no one has found yet." Its probably not worth very much...

Thanks, Brain,

I actually already have Step Up but was looking for something more text-based (as Step Up is more in outline form) and "readable", and was sort of wanting something that I could read before my IM rotation starts. I really have liked the USMLE Step 1 Secrets so I thought I'd like to stick with that series, and both of those two books have good reviews (though few) on Amazon (and I know that these could be distributors leaving reviews to sell more books). I was really just hoping someone out there had used either of these two specifically.

Thanks so much for your feedback, though - I'll look into Pocket Medicine. :)