Club officer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RespectTheChemistry

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry to keep bugging you with all the questions! As I get into the final year before application season, I am thinking of all kinds of things I didn't before!

I was nominated by my German teacher to be a club officer in German club. I said yes. Does it matter which one?

Does this count as leadership? The job description for president is as follows. Do I necessarily need to go for that? Would secretary be fine?
  • The President will lead regular meetings and, to the best of their ability, attend club and officer meetings. The president will also promote positive campus recognition and cultural exchange as well as work closely with German Club officers, officers of the other student organizations, and the faculty advisor.
1.) How helpful is this to an application? I thought it was good for showing ability to cooperate with a team. Or maybe leadership? I bet club officers are a dime a dozen among the premed crowd though.

2.) How would you list this? Is leadership too ambitious?

3.) Is it bad to have too much "clutter" in your activities list (if this doesn't add much to my application at all)?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Does not matter which one. Does count as leadership. Is not that helpful. Does not hurt.

Do this if you would enjoy it, not because you think it will enhance your application. It probably helps but not by an appreciable amount.

Reactions: 4 users
Does not matter which one. Does count as leadership. Is not that helpful. Does not hurt.

Do this if you would enjoy it, not because you think it will enhance your application. It probably helps but not by an appreciable amount.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with GoSpursGo. Though it's implied in his post, I would just like to explicitly say that it's not worth doing if the time commitment would interfere with your academic performance and/or MCAT studying.

Reactions: 4 users
Sorry to keep bugging you with all the questions! As I get into the final year before application season, I am thinking of all kinds of things I didn't before!

I was nominated by my German teacher to be a club officer in German club. I said yes. Does it matter which one?

Does this count as leadership? The job description for president is as follows. Do I necessarily need to go for that? Would secretary be fine?
  • The President will lead regular meetings and, to the best of their ability, attend club and officer meetings. The president will also promote positive campus recognition and cultural exchange as well as work closely with German Club officers, officers of the other student organizations, and the faculty advisor.
1.) How helpful is this to an application? I thought it was good for showing ability to cooperate with a team. Or maybe leadership? I bet club officers are a dime a dozen among the premed crowd though.

2.) How would you list this? Is leadership too ambitious?

3.) Is it bad to have too much "clutter" in your activities list (if this doesn't add much to my application at all)?

Thanks in advance!
The title is a nice-to -have, but what would make it valuable (and possibly demonstrate both leadership and teamwork) is what you do with it and learn from it. Certainly you need time to keep your grades up and excel on the MCAT, but just having an activity listing German Club Officer is of limited value. Having the title and using those characters in the activity description to talk about what you accomplished will help.

Reactions: 1 users