CME

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor4Life1769

**tr0llin, ridin dirty**
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey folks.

For those who don't know, I'm currently in my final year of residency.
I have about $1400-1500 in CME money. I wanted to get an idea as to how I should use the $$. Should I do a CME conference or should I use the $$ to buy books? What CME conferences were worthwhile? For those who recommend books, what books should I buy?

I don't want some CME on cardiology or endocrinology, etc. I could do those for free online. I want something interesting and invaluable that would help expand my knowledge base and experience.

I have a photo atlas of Family Medicine book and an OMM book.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Buy one of the cme programs that gets you a big gift card to apple or best buy. Or just see if your hospital will let you use it for a new phone/iPad directly.

Hey folks.

I have about $1400-1500 in CME money. I wanted to get an idea as to how I should use the $$. Should I do a CME conference or should I use the $$ to buy books? What CME conferences were worthwhile? For those who recommend books, what books should I buy?

I don't want some CME on cardiology or endocrinology, etc. I could do those for free online. I want something interesting and invaluable that would help expand my knowledge base and experience.

Thanks!
I would suggest the annual AAFP Scientific Assembly (or whatever its called now), but its in the fall.

I've heard good things (mainly from cabin) about the National Procedures Institute but their next conference is in 2 days then again in July so no help there either.

So you could always just search for a conference that's located somewhere fun and use it as part learning part vacation.

Alternatively, I would recommend two different books:

Essentials of Musculoskeletal Care, 5th edition - fantastic ortho book with good instructions on a few different procedures

Procedures for Primary Care, by Pfenninger 3rd edition - Every procedure you could ever hope to do. I used this just last week for my first carpal tunnel injection

You could also buy a few subscriptions (multi-year): As a resident, you can get 2 years of UpToDate for $370

Prescriber's Letter (one of my favorites) 3 years for $330

You could also get a decent peds reference book - Harriet Lane being the one the pediatricians seem to like best, if you'll be seeing kids.

Edit: I tried linking the books from Amazon but SDN kept changing it to media for some reason.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Buy one of the cme programs that gets you a big gift card to apple or best buy. Or just see if your hospital will let you use it for a new phone/iPad directly.

I bought an iPad mini 2 with my CME last year.
I could certainly buy a new phone, but my iPhone 4 still works. It just doesn't seem all that cost effective to spend it on a phone.

I would suggest the annual AAFP Scientific Assembly (or whatever its called now), but its in the fall.

I've heard good things (mainly from cabin) about the National Procedures Institute but their next conference is in 2 days then again in July so no help there either.

So you could always just search for a conference that's located somewhere fun and use it as part learning part vacation.

Alternatively, I would recommend two different books:

Essentials of Musculoskeletal Care, 5th edition - fantastic ortho book with good instructions on a few different procedures

Procedures for Primary Care, by Pfenninger 3rd edition - Every procedure you could ever hope to do. I used this just last week for my first carpal tunnel injection

You could also buy a few subscriptions (multi-year): As a resident, you can get 2 years of UpToDate for $370

Prescriber's Letter (one of my favorites) 3 years for $330

You could also get a decent peds reference book - Harriet Lane being the one the pediatricians seem to like best, if you'll be seeing kids.

Edit: I tried linking the books from Amazon but SDN kept changing it to media for some reason.

I'll look into the above options. I agree and also think it would be good to have a good Peds, procedures, and sports Med/MSK reference. I don't like uptodate and actually use more medscape/emedicine. I'll look into Prescriber's letter (not heard of it). I do want to partake in courses that would certify me in acupuncture and prolotherapy if possible. NPI is very expensive and way out of my 1400-1500$ budget I believe. I am in residency until end of July (31st) so I may look into NPI just in case.

I like Habif's derm flashcards. Easier to use than the textbook but still very useful. And, some days, it feels like 30% of Family Medicine is derm....

I like Habif's derm flashcards. Easier to use than the textbook but still very useful. And, some days, it feels like 30% of Family Medicine is derm....

Absolutely.
I did find this Derm webpage though:
https://www.onlinedermclinic.com

It has images with descriptions, online didactics, descriptors to provide a DDx. Take a look, it is well designed and user friendly too.

Hey folks.

Thanks!

Did you already buy a board review course?

Did you already buy a board review course?

No. One of my co-residents went to a live course and since we are studying together has graciously shared with me the power points and tests. We are using ITE (we went through 2015, currently doing 2014, and then will review 2013 as that is avail on website). I already did ALL the practice board review CME Qs in prep for 2015 ITE. Anything else you recommend studying? I've also been reading through the journals when I have questions or missed something from the questions. I'd also done UW for FM boards in prep for 2015 ITE. I'd fortunately scored above national average this past year. I didn't do as hot on 2014 but I'd taken it cold and it was my first time taking it.

Big question - what specialized topic (besides the General Qs) do y'all recommend being tested on? I will pick ambulatory medicine. The second topic I am leaning towards inpatient medicine, geriatrics, or maternal medicine (OB).

Last edited:
No. One of my co-residents went to a live course and since we are studying together has graciously shared with me the power points and tests. We are using ITE (we went through 2015, currently doing 2014, and then will review 2013 as that is avail on website). I already did ALL the practice board review CME Qs in prep for 2015 ITE. Anything else you recommend studying? I've also been reading through the journals when I have questions or missed something from the questions. I'd also done UW for FM boards in prep for 2015 ITE. I'd fortunately scored above national average this past year. I didn't do as hot on 2014 but I'd taken it cold and it was my first time taking it.

Big question - what specialized topic (besides the General Qs) do y'all recommend being tested on? I will pick ambulatory medicine. The second topic I am leaning towards inpatient medicine, geriatrics, or maternal medicine (OB).
I liked the Board Review Express through the AAFP. I listened to the MP3s in the car and took the tests at lunch.

Do not do geriatrics unless you know, by name, all the specific geriatric functional assessments. I did ambulatory and inpatient but heard that maternity wasn't too bad.

I liked the Board Review Express through the AAFP. I listened to the MP3s in the car and took the tests at lunch.

Do not do geriatrics unless you know, by name, all the specific geriatric functional assessments. I did ambulatory and inpatient but heard that maternity wasn't too bad.

I'll look into Board Review Express.
Thanks for the heads up on Geriatrics. I'll likely go with inpatient or maternity then. I did really well on Maternity so perhaps it may be something I go for since it's very subject focused.

The EM residents in med school did that program and liked it. Not sure how useful it is for standard FM but might be fun.

I feel it would be incredibly helpful in disaster or non-hospital type locations. Plus, there is basic medical and shock type management, fractures, toxins, etc. I guess it's because I am interested in all that stuff.

Plus side is it's good for Family Medicine approved credits.

I feel it would be incredibly helpful in disaster or non-hospital type locations. Plus, there is basic medical and shock type management, fractures, toxins, etc. I guess it's because I am interested in all that stuff.

Plus side is it's good for Family Medicine approved credits.
Right, and I'm not sure any of that is actually all that useful for day-to-day family medicine. Neat to know? Absolutely. Good for CME, sure (but honestly, everything counts these days).

Right, and I'm not sure any of that is actually all that useful for day-to-day family medicine. Neat to know? Absolutely. Good for CME, sure (but honestly, everything counts these days).

You're absolutely right.
I'll focus on the more tangible needs first.

For the sections, I did ambulatory (which was pretty easy) and Womens Health. The latter was kind of a mistake, as I couldn't exactly spout the hormone levels at each part of the menstrual cycle by heart. Still passed, but yeah....

For the sections, I did ambulatory (which was pretty easy) and Womens Health. The latter was kind of a mistake, as I couldn't exactly spout the hormone levels at each part of the menstrual cycle by heart. Still passed, but yeah....

Thanks!
I spoke with my PD about it. She recommended probably looking at inpatient or maternity. She did mention quite a few did urgent care/emergency, but shockingly that was my lowest score on the most recent ITE. I did well on inpatient and maternity. She said exactly what you had mentioned about Women's Health and said if I didn't feel comfortable with the hormones and hormone levels probably not to pursue that (and I'm not, I have to keep reading about it).

Just out of curiosity, anything specific to look for in prepping for the ambulatory section? I was gonna pick inpatient for sure, but torn on the second one. I feel very weak on ambulatory care, but feel it's the lesser of the other evils(the other sections I feel would all ask overly specific questions...).