MD & DO Co’22 ERAS Panic Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Officially sent my LOI. Reread it no less than 20x lol. Now we sit aaaaaaaaand wait.
I sent mine last week, but all has been quiet since. Not expecting a response, but it would be a very welcomed surprise.

Members don't see this ad.

I am scared of sending my LOI. It's sitting in my drafts. My #1 is set in stone, but my current #2 is at the same facility so I was planning on sending a joint #1/#2 letter and that's how it's currently written.

If I change my priorities at the last minute about ranking my #1 *specialty* instead of ranking my #1 *location* then my current #2's going to be my #8. And the PD of my #2 is the APD of my #1, so, I'm almost concerned it's going to be a red flag for my #2 if I don't tell them they're my #2 since they have the same selection committee members so they will have read my LOI to my #1... ugh. Why can't we just ban post interview communication already

I am scared of sending my LOI. It's sitting in my drafts. My #1 is set in stone, but my current #2 is at the same facility so I was planning on sending a joint #1/#2 letter and that's how it's currently written.

If I change my priorities at the last minute about ranking my #1 *specialty* instead of ranking my #1 *location* then my current #2's going to be my #8. And the PD of my #2 is the APD of my #1, so, I'm almost concerned it's going to be a red flag for my #2 if I don't tell them they're my #2 since they have the same selection committee members so they will have read my LOI to my #1... ugh. Why can't we just ban post interview communication already
I was told, if u arent saying your my number 1 then dont say anything at all.

Members don't see this ad :)

Wait what’s the point of sending a #2 letter?

Same location or not, sending such a letter will probably only hurt you. It’s #1 and that’s it from what i gathered

Did you all not have myriad programs say "we don't listen to or care about post-interview communication"?? Most of my interviews pointed that out. My #1 said it, so I am not sending LOI as it seems like it would be ignoring their preference.

Did you all not have myriad programs say "we don't listen to or care about post-interview communication"?? Most of my interviews pointed that out. My #1 said it, so I am not sending LOI as it seems like it would be ignoring their preference.
One of mine said no thank you letters but didn't mention anything about LOIs. Several said no post-IV communication. Most didn't say anything. I doubt it'll make much of a difference unless the LOI is going to a mid-lower ranked program that is relatively small in size. They seem the ones more primed to care about how much you actually want to go there and generally are in areas that are less desirable.

If a program says no post-interview communication because they said they adhere to NRMP guidleines is sending a letter of intent still okay?

• Limit post-interview communication
    During recruitment season, applicants may not have adequate time to obtain the information needed to make informed decisions about ranking programs and may wish to clarify information following interviews. Applicants may request and exchange clarifying information with programs following the interview but must not solicit or engage in post-interview communication for the purposes of influencing or ascertaining a program’s ranking intentions.
If they don't endorse it, and they make the statement they did, I would say do not send them anything unless it is to clarify a question you have about their program. I mean, it's probably not going to make them knock you down spots if you do, but just don't do it.

I can only give an n of 1, but post interview communication (which I have received this year) does absolutely nothing to influence ranking at my program. Ranking of our candidates was finished within 2 or 3 hours of the last interview of the last day we conducted interviews...used to say the people who interviewed the last day were ranked before they boarded their plane to go home.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
If a program says no post-interview communication because they said they adhere to NRMP guidleines is sending a letter of intent still okay?
I think this is totally a question u can ask a resident or better yet the PC.

Wait what’s the point of sending a #2 letter?

Same location or not, sending such a letter will probably only hurt you. It’s #1 and that’s it from what i gathered
The PD at my #2 is the APD at my #1, and my #1 and #2 share residency selection committee members… so the people at my #2 are going to be reading my #1 letter and knowing it’s not them.

As long as I’m sure they’re my #2, I don’t want to risk them thinking that they’re way below #2 for me. I’m pretty sure the advice not to send a #2 letter really only applies if your #2 people can’t read your #1 letter (which is going to be true for almost everyone).

One single program on my list said this. A bunch of programs have told me “we really want people who want to be here, so please stay in touch if you want to come to our program,” which is pretty much the exact opposite and I am concerned some of these places may not rank me if I don’t communicate. I should have sent more updates earlier in the season, because now I feel like sending updates is going to look disingenuous.

Reactions: 1 users
The PD at my #2 is the APD at my #1, and my #1 and #2 share residency selection committee members… so the people at my #2 are going to be reading my #1 letter and knowing it’s not them.

As long as I’m sure they’re my #2, I don’t want to risk them thinking that they’re way below #2 for me. I’m pretty sure the advice not to send a #2 letter really only applies if your #2 people can’t read your #1 letter (which is going to be true for almost everyone).

One single program on my list said this. A bunch of programs have told me “we really want people who want to be here, so please stay in touch if you want to come to our program,” which is pretty much the exact opposite and I am concerned some of these places may not rank me if I don’t communicate. I should have sent more updates earlier in the season, because now I feel like sending updates is going to look disingenuous.
Dude, you’re overthinking it. Send it to your number 1, or don’t, and leave it be. Overthinking will not help, especially with something so trivial. Also, programs aren’t going to not rank you because you didn’t stay in touch over the season.

Reactions: 6 users

Definitely overthinking things. Send a #1 or don't. At the end of the day it doesn't really matter much at most places. If the person actually reads it they may think it's a nice gesture, but the amount of communication has gotten to the point where there isn't time to read it all. Sending multiple updates is not necessary and unless they were significant updates would just be annoying.

Dude, you’re overthinking it. Send it to your number 1, or don’t, and leave it be. Overthinking will not help, especially with something so trivial. Also, programs aren’t going to not rank you because you didn’t stay in touch over the season.
Thank you.

If it's not going to change their rankings, I don't know why they would say specifically that they want you to stay in touch if you want to go there. Seems like a big stick to wave if it's not going to change anything.

Thank you.

If it's not going to change their rankings, I don't know why they would say specifically that they want you to stay in touch if you want to go there. Seems like a big stick to wave if it's not going to change anything.
I get it man, I’m feeling the stress and anxiety too. I legit think it’s less important than you’re perceiving it to be, but it’s totally your call. To me, it sounds like a generic pleasantry, but I’m also super skeptical of anything said during this season.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you.

Besides for possibly sending a "you're my number one,"which maybe that's what places were hinting at when they made that statement. What kind of information/update do you think you are going to provide that is going to make a meaningful difference? You already passed the screen as far as grades/scores, so constantly sending updates on that stuff isn't necessary. Perhaps if you had a publication or started some new research, that's something.

Saying "stay in touch" is the equivalent of saying the same thing to the person at your 20 year high school reunion who reminds you why you didn't stay in touch the first time...

ie, its a courtesy with the intent to really go nowhere beyond that.

Besides for possibly sending a "you're my number one,"which maybe that's what places were hinting at when they made that statement. What kind of information/update do you think you are going to provide that is going to make a meaningful difference? You already passed the screen as far as grades/scores, so constantly sending updates on that stuff isn't necessary. Perhaps if you had a publication or started some new research, that's something.
I get what you're saying, but I don't think that's what these places mean.

One of the PDs I interviewed with said they get a lot of applicants, but he personally wants people who want to be at his program, and would rather have someone who wants to be there than someone with the best board scores or CV. It was one of my earliest interviews, and he stated that he was sure I would interview lots of other places, but if I wanted to go to his program, to reach back out to him and stay in communication during the interview season. I didn't get the vibe that he'd care about actual scores/boards/whatever updates.

I get what you're saying, but I don't think that's what these places mean.

One of the PDs I interviewed with said they get a lot of applicants, but he personally wants people who want to be at his program, and would rather have someone who wants to be there than someone with the best board scores or CV. It was one of my earliest interviews, and he stated that he was sure I would interview lots of other places, but if I wanted to go to his program, to reach back out to him and stay in communication during the interview season. I didn't get the vibe that he'd care about actual scores/boards/whatever updates.
Is this program your number 1?

Nope. It's not super low either, though... I'd be happy with it if I matched there.
I guess my question is, what would you say that would sway them? "I am ranking you highly" can mean 2 to 10. "I really enjoyed your program and think I would be happy there" doesn't mean anything. If they're not your number 1, and your email is implying that they're not your number one, then I can't see how an email would help. Totally your call, but I would leave it be rather than risk the communication being interpreted negatively. I'm fairly certain that the PD was likely talking about people who were going to communicate to them that they are their number 1, not somewhere in the middle of their list.

Reactions: 2 users
Nope. It's not super low either, though... I'd be happy with it if I matched there.
One idea is you could email them and talk about how you enjoyed your interview, bring up specific things that were discussed and maybe the impact of the conversation, and then ask a question about the program.

This shows that you're thinking about them, reminding the interviewer of who you are, and also asking a question which they can respond to.

Should we be trying to take our Level 3 before then or is this nothing to panic about? LOL I feel like the class of 2022 has been the Guiney pigs for so many changes that I have now developed trust issues. From MCAT changes, to USMLE/COMLEX changes, to COVID messing up our exams and interviews. We can't seem catch a break at all.

Screenshot (2374).png

Should we be trying to take our Level 3 before then or is this nothing to panic about? LOL I feel like the class of 2022 has been the Guiney pigs for so many changes that I have now developed trust issues. From MCAT changes, to USMLE/COMLEX changes, to COVID messing up our exams and interviews. We can't seem catch a break at all.
NBD. I've taken other licensing exams at Pearson centers and it's really not any different than taking them at Prometric except I don't remember using my fingerprint at a Pearson center

Took mine a couple of weeks back. I would try to take it earlier than later because
a) Gimpel
b) They'll continue to add things to this dumb test. Latest addition is COVID questions

Take it. Pass. Drop that green book in your trash like it's hot

Reactions: 2 users
I think I took the MCAT at Pearson. It wasn't any different.

One idea is you could email them and talk about how you enjoyed your interview, bring up specific things that were discussed and maybe the impact of the conversation, and then ask a question about the program.

This shows that you're thinking about them, reminding the interviewer of who you are, and also asking a question which they can respond to.
Yeah, this is what I'm doing for #2 and #3.

omg i am not ready to think about step 3 i have dumped so much info from my brain this year i cannot even imagine taking another exam anytime soon

Question, my mentor said he'd email my top choice for me if I want. I already sent an LOI, so don't want be annoying to the PD, but should I take him up on his offer?

Question, my mentor said he'd email my top choice for me if I want. I already sent an LOI, so don't want be annoying to the PD, but should I take him up on his offer?

Do they know the PD of your first choice personally, or would it be a cold call?

is it too late to send LOI or when is the general deadline? How long should it be? Is it worth it to send it to a program where the applicant is less likely to get into or should i maximize my chances with another program?

No, not too late for LOI. Most people send them around the end of January and the beginning of February. It should be short and sweet as PDs are busy people and don't have time to read essays. It's never not worth it. If you have an interview at a program, you have a chance because unless you messed up very badly on your interviews, they will rank you.

No, not too late for LOI. Most people send them around the end of January and the beginning of February. It should be short and sweet as PDs are busy people and don't have time to read essays. It's never not worth it. If you have an interview at a program, you have a chance because unless you messed up very badly on your interviews, they will rank you.
Whats the general opinion? Sending 1 LOI to #1 program or sending 1 LOI to #1 and other LOI to rest of top 5 as "I will rank you highly"?

Whats the general opinion? Sending 1 LOI to #1 program or sending 1 LOI to #1 and other LOI to rest of top 5 as "I will rank you highly"?
Read the past few pages of this thread and all your questions will be answered. There is also a search function as this has been discussed ad nauseum.

Imagine a princess is being courted by dozens of princes

Who will she view with favor: the prince who says, “Truly, you are the best princess in all the land. My heart belongs to thee.”
Or the one who says, “I’ve met many a princess, and you are CERTAINLY amongst the top five, my love.”

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Imagine a princess is being courted by dozens of princes

Who will she view with favor: the prince who says, “Truly, you are the best princess in all the land. My heart belongs to thee.”
Or the one who says, “I’ve met many a princess, and you are CERTAINLY amongst the top five, my love.”
but how do these princes compare to the prince who never professed his love at all?

but how do these princes compare to the prince who never professed his love at all?

In the real world, the princess would make her decision with a knowledge of each prince’s background and what their alliance might mean for the house. There may be princes who don’t need to announce themselves, for their reputations speak plain their attributes.

In the real world, the princess would make her decision with a knowledge of each prince’s background and what their alliance might mean for the house. There may be princes who don’t need to announce themselves, for their reputations speak plain their attributes.
i like that answer, im sold

i like that answer, im sold
I am *not* one of those princes who's reputation can carry him, so I sent an LOI on Monday.
I'm probably not even in the princely category. Maybe a duke. Or an archduke.

Squire.
Idk.

Ok, I just had my last interview yesterday, and I'm already waking up from nightmares where I find out I didn't match. Wtf, it's too early for this.

• Care
Reactions: 7 users
Sent my LOI. Not expecting any response but damn, hitting send was scary. I think I re-read it like 10x before sending it.

Reactions: 4 users
Anyone know of or meet anyone who has the same program ranked #1 as you? Met one today and got a fresh wave of anxiety.

• Haha
Anyone know of or meet anyone who has the same program ranked #1 as you? Met one today and got a fresh wave of anxiety.

I know what you mean.

Let’s just say my rank list is very…. Optimistic. Lol.

I think I just vomited a little at that email.

We can certify as many times as we want before the deadline, right? I have a fear of never certifying so I just want to do it so at least something is there. Rip.

I think I just vomited a little at that email.

We can certify as many times as we want before the deadline, right? I have a fear of never certifying so I just want to do it so at least something is there. Rip.
Yeah you can certify again if you change your mind later