Colorado State Vet Prep Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SecretSafe

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just received my rejection letter from CSU :( However, I still have hope that maybe I will get a call to be admitted into the vet prep program. I think I am a good candidate: military veteran, non-traditional 27 year old applicant, proven financial hardships, and first generation college grad (and made sure this was all stated in my application). I have the following questions to those who may know the answer:

When do they make decisions about acceptances into the vet prep program? When do notifications go out? Any specific info about what they look for in vet prep students?

Also, I was thinking of applying for the toxicology MS program separately this year (I know this is an option in the vet prep program). Would applying for the program hinder my chances of getting a vet prep offer?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
So I just received my rejection letter from CSU :( However, I still have hope that maybe I will get a call to be admitted into the vet prep program. I think I am a good candidate: military veteran, non-traditional 27 year old applicant, proven financial hardships, and first generation college grad (and made sure this was all stated in my application). I have the following questions to those who may know the answer:

When do they make decisions about acceptances into the vet prep program? When do notifications go out? Any specific info about what they look for in vet prep students?

Also, I was thinking of applying for the toxicology MS program separately this year (I know this is an option in the vet prep program). Would applying for the program hinder my chances of getting a vet prep offer?
I don't know the answers for the rest of this, but I can tell you the toxicology MS program is completely separate from the vet school so you can safely apply to that without any worry about whether it will affect your vet school decisions for this year. Once you complete it though... I have no idea how they view it.

I've been told it is highly regarded by the vet school but I know students who did well in the program but we're rejected and some accepted with similar stats ... so :shrug:.

I did the repro version and did not get accepted this year, but since it is so new, I was warned they might not look as favorably on it as the toxicology or anatomy versions, but there are a whole lot more politics behind the scene there than I ever thought, so I don't know how it affected my app.

According to the 2014 and 2015 threads they heard in March. So quite the wait still.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you know if they will send us email if we get accepted? Or call us?

Looks like phone calls the last 2 years.

Just wondering did anyone get accepted into the vet prep program? I emailed them back in early January and they said that if you get accepted you'll be notified by late January but I'm not too sure how true is that since the past few years they notified people in March... :\

Hey there! Current Vet Prep Student here. The process goes like this. They take the rejected students and if they filled out a disadvantage/special circumstances statement they will then go back and review those students. They have a process for that, but you will always receive a letter of denial first. If you are given a VetPrep offer you're going to be called directly. Likely by Dr. Stokes, but I'm not entirely sure about that. Last year some of us found out in February, some found out in March. I believe one person may have found out way later due to someone not accepting. When you get into VetPrep you do have the option to either take the toxicology masters program or just select from the required classes. I believe they are trying to improve the structure of the fall semester maybe even offering other masters options, but I'm not sure if everything is final. Last I heard two weeks ago about, we inquired if they selected the new VetPrep students and they had not finalized everything, so keep up your hope! Good luck!!

Reactions: 1 users
Hey there! Current Vet Prep Student here. The process goes like this. They take the rejected students and if they filled out a disadvantage/special circumstances statement they will then go back and review those students. They have a process for that, but you will always receive a letter of denial first. If you are given a VetPrep offer you're going to be called directly. Likely by Dr. Stokes, but I'm not entirely sure about that. Last year some of us found out in February, some found out in March. I believe one person may have found out way later due to someone not accepting. When you get into VetPrep you do have the option to either take the toxicology masters program or just select from the required classes. I believe they are trying to improve the structure of the fall semester maybe even offering other masters options, but I'm not sure if everything is final. Last I heard two weeks ago about, we inquired if they selected the new VetPrep students and they had not finalized everything, so keep up your hope! Good luck!!

Thank you! The reason I'm asking is because I am no longer in the states (so I don't have access to the number I have put on file... I should probably email them to update that information.

Just heard decisions should be released for the Vet Prep program at the end of this week.

Eeeep! Anyone that gets a call please post and let us know the details!

I just got accepted into the program! Received a letter though, no phone call.

Thank you! The reason I'm asking is because I am no longer in the states (so I don't have access to the number I have put on file... I should probably email them to update that information.
Hi hna028, as a current vet prep student which route did you take? The classes or the masters in toxicology?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats!!! I assume you got the letter today? Gotta go check my PO box now :xf:
Yep! I thought it was a denial letter, and I was telling my cat how rude it was to send me denial letter after they already electronically denied me. I ended up reading the letter four times before I absorbed it.

Omg... I won't even know if I got accepted or not because I am no longer in the states....... Do you think it would be possible to email them and ask about it? I was told if you were accepted into the vet prep program they would update your status on your application or something..

Hi hna028, as a current vet prep student which route did you take? The classes or the masters in toxicology?

I didn't get notified if I got accepted into the program or not (and most likely not). The reason I was asking is because I don't live in the states anymore haha. I'm doing schooling in another country currently thats why. Congrats on your acceptance though :)

I didn't get notified if I got accepted into the program or not (and most likely not). The reason I was asking is because I don't live in the states anymore haha. I'm doing schooling in another country currently thats why. Congrats on your acceptance though :)
I would call, My portal hasn't changed at all to say one way or the other.

How do you like the program? I have already accepted the offer, but I wouldn't mind hearing how a current student is doing. Did you choose the master in toxicology? or the regular course option?

I emailed the school and they said that decisions were released 2 weeks ago. They called the applicants as well as sent out their acceptance letters.

Bumping up a slightly older post--

Wondering if anyone can offer more insight on this program? I wasn't planning on applying to CSU, but when I found out about this possibility I decided I might give it a shot.

Does anyone know how many students are accepted into the program per year? Would anyone in the program be willing to share their stats, or share what types of students are accepted if they know? I'd be glad to share my stats (which can also be found on the "What are my chances?" thread) if that would help anyone in determining my potential eligibility. I did email CSU to ask about some of their listed disadvantaged circumstances that makes them consider students for this program.

Any information would be greatly appreciated! :D

Bumping up a slightly older post--

Wondering if anyone can offer more insight on this program? I wasn't planning on applying to CSU, but when I found out about this possibility I decided I might give it a shot.

Does anyone know how many students are accepted into the program per year? Would anyone in the program be willing to share their stats, or share what types of students are accepted if they know? I'd be glad to share my stats (which can also be found on the "What are my chances?" thread) if that would help anyone in determining my potential eligibility. I did email CSU to ask about some of their listed disadvantaged circumstances that makes them consider students for this program.

Any information would be greatly appreciated! :D
They don't take many, I think about ~5 students are taken into Vet Prep each year? I also don't believe that you can specifically apply for Vet Prep; rather, they offer admission after students who apply are rejected for general admission. Vet Prep is a five year program (much like my own program) and they have you take a variety of different classes during that year to prepare you for veterinary school. I believe there is also the option to get a master's degree in Toxicology as part of the coursework, but don't quote me on that.

My roommate is actually a Vet Prep student (in her third year of vet school), but she's out of town right now so I couldn't answer any of your questions for a while unfortunately.

They don't take many, I think about ~5 students are taken into Vet Prep each year? I also don't believe that you can specifically apply for Vet Prep; rather, they offer admission after students who apply are rejected for general admission. Vet Prep is a five year program (much like my own program) and they have you take a variety of different classes during that year to prepare you for veterinary school. I believe there is also the option to get a master's degree in Toxicology as part of the coursework, but don't quote me on that.

My roommate is actually a Vet Prep student (in her third year of vet school), but she's out of town right now so I couldn't answer any of your questions for a while unfortunately.

No worries! If she has a chance though, I'd love to ask a few questions!

I'm aware that I need to apply to the regular DVM program first and get denied (maybe I wouldn't even get denied, who knows, but probably). I read their guidelines and it says the look at the top 10 rejected and disadvantaged (students had to have filled out the disadvantaged statement on their app and then meet the criteria for disadvantaged-ness set). I feel like it's worth applying just for the chance!