Columbia Class 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone on here doing the global health certificate? If so, do you know when the practicum takes place? Is there a list somewhere of the countries we can choose for our practicum?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Takes place Summer-Fall (6 months) after your first year. I'm thinking about it, but the 59,500 cost for first year is pretty harsh. And I'm not sure how living will work. Whether or not I can find a place to live in the Spring when I come back for only 5-6 months.

Members don't see this ad :)
actually im in the 16-month program. They said the econ classes are joined with executive mph and part-time mph students, which is why sometimes there are saturday classes. not the worst thing in the world, but not the best either :)

I am in the same program! What you said about the first semster is terrifying...saturday class...really??? I am going to admitted students day on the 13th and I am so excited!

I am in the same program! What you said about the first semster is terrifying...saturday class...really??? I am going to admitted students day on the 13th and I am so excited!
haha yeah....but only for the 1st semester. they said it really isn't that bad, it is just due to the scheduling conflict.

Takes place Summer-Fall (6 months) after your first year. I'm thinking about it, but the 59,500 cost for first year is pretty harsh. And I'm not sure how living will work. Whether or not I can find a place to live in the Spring when I come back for only 5-6 months.

I am definitely doing the global health certificate. I think it will be an invaluable experience. Also, it is only $49,500 for the first year (it seems silly saying ONLY 49,500 but its a lot better than $59,500). And remember that your second year will only be $17,000. That's what I keep telling myself at least!

Hi everyone,

Congrats on the acceptance! I am currently a Mailman student in Epidemiology and love it here.

I have an apartment in Tower 1 on campus that I would like to sub-let for the summer (June-August). Tower 1 is the nicest tower out of the 3, and the room has an amazing view of the GW bridge (as well as hard-wood floors!). There's a doorman and air conditioning for the summer, which I hear is much needed during the summer. Plus, classes are literally down the street.

Rent will be $981 per month (I will need to double-check that, as it is increasing as of June). If you need furniture, we might be able to work something out.

If you are interested, please send me a message.

Thanks,
Lauren

Is anyone attending the diversity dinner on April 12th? If so, what kind of attire are you expected to wear? How about for the admitted students day?

Is anyone attending the diversity dinner on April 12th? If so, what kind of attire are you expected to wear? How about for the admitted students day?

didn't get any memo about the diversity dinner on April 12th, how did you hear about that? thanks for your time ..

They added a quick note in the admitted students day invitation. I'm assuming that it is for students from "minority" backgrounds...

They added a quick note in the admitted students day invitation. I'm assuming that it is for students from "minority" backgrounds...

OK, thanks for the info. I'm an international student, may be that i why i did not get the note..btw i'm planning to show up with jeans for open house on april 13th :)

Hey guys,

It seems like I got the same fin. aid pkg as a lot of you...

Greetings,

I am having some difficulties understanding my general financial situation at Columbia.

When I filled out my FAFSA, I was unaware that Columbia requires parental financial information. I was raised by a single dad, and with or without my dad's information, my EFC is zero. However, because my dad had zero income this year (he is taking care of his mother), I am worried that I ruined my chances of receiving need-based aid by not including that info.

Is this true? Does anyone have any input on this? My dad filed his taxes just yesterday and I just submitted this new info on my FAFSA on 4/4 and I have already sent a reconsideration for aid letter stating that I am a 1st generation college graduate of low SES.

Thank you!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

It seems like I got the same fin. aid pkg as a lot of you...

Greetings,

I am having some difficulties understanding my general financial situation at Columbia.

When I filled out my FAFSA, I was unaware that Columbia requires parental financial information. I was raised by a single dad, and with or without my dad's information, my EFC is zero. However, because my dad had zero income this year (he is taking care of his mother), I am worried that I ruined my chances of receiving need-based aid by not including that info.

Is this true? Does anyone have any input on this? My dad filed his taxes just yesterday and I just submitted this new info on my FAFSA on 4/4 and I have already sent a reconsideration for aid letter stating that I am a 1st generation college graduate of low SES.

Thank you!!!!
from what they said during the admitted students day, they only ask for parental information for a few government scholarships available to certain concentrations. your parental income is not included for need-based aid

I'm a first-year MPH student and I'll be going abroad for my practicum this summer, so I need to sublet my room. I live in campus housing in Tower 1. It is a two bedroom apt., so you'd be sharing with one other woman. It's a great apartment, spacious kitchen, bathroom, huge bedroom and beautiful views! My roommate is awesome too. The dates listed above can be a bit flexible if necessary. Rent is $950/mo. and the only additional utility bill is electric which is usually $20-25 each. Message me if you're interested! And welcome to Mailman!

For those doing the global health certificate, do you think it is best to do on-campus housing since we will be doing the practicum abroad for 6 months? Is it easier to sublet an on-campus apartment? What about when you come back from your practicum? Is it hard to find housing?

I'm a first-year MPH student and I'll be going abroad for my practicum this summer, so I need to sublet my room. I live in campus housing in Tower 1. It is a two bedroom apt., so you'd be sharing with one other woman. It's a great apartment, spacious kitchen, bathroom, huge bedroom and beautiful views! My roommate is awesome too. The dates listed above can be a bit flexible if necessary. Rent is $950/mo. and the only additional utility bill is electric which is usually $20-25 each. Message me if you're interested! And welcome to Mailman!

hey when will you leave...how long will you be gone? i will start nursing school end of May. Thanks.

hey when will you leave...how long will you be gone? i will start nursing school end of May. Thanks.
Hey tnot- My exact departure date is still yet to be determined but it will be sometime near the end of May as well (around May 26). I'll be gone for 3 months, so I'd like to rent it through the end of August. Let me know if you're interested!

Just curious, is anyone turning down the HPM program for another school?

Yup, I turned down Columbia for Michigan. I couldn't say no to the half tuition Dean's Scholarship from Michigan (compared to nothing from Columbia), and after visiting both schools, it seemed like Michigan cared more about its students and the current students seemed happier than the ones I met at Columbia's Visit Day.

Just curious, is anyone turning down the HPM program for another school?

I turned down Columbia's HPM program as well. I found that the program at Hopkins was a better fit for me for my particular interests in both international health and policy.

Yup, I turned down Columbia for Michigan. I couldn't say no to the half tuition Dean's Scholarship from Michigan (compared to nothing from Columbia), and after visiting both schools, it seemed like Michigan cared more about its students and the current students seemed happier than the ones I met at Columbia's Visit Day.

Ditto. New York would've been fun, but UMich was definitely more student friendly! The difference in scholarship funding was just icing on the cake...

Gahhhh, I haven't made my decision yet but hearing people's opinion on Michigan is making me think twice. I'm so lost and really don't have time to be lost!

Does anyone know how grades work at Columbia MPH? Any current or graduated students that should shed some light on what I should expect my gpa to be like next year?

I've heard some people say that I should expect my gpa to drop ALOT from undergrad. While others have been telling me that it's easier to do better in grad studies than in undergrad. Anybody know what the real situation is like?

Someone in an earlier page in this thread said grades were inflated. I've heard the opposite from someone else I know, so I am confused as well.

Does anyone know how grades work at Columbia MPH? Any current or graduated students that should shed some light on what I should expect my gpa to be like next year?

I've heard some people say that I should expect my gpa to drop ALOT from undergrad. While others have been telling me that it's easier to do better in grad studies than in undergrad. Anybody know what the real situation is like?
on admitted students day, the current students emphasized that the public health school is not cut-throat like the business school. its not as competitive between students either. that said, you do still have to do the readings, be prepared, etc., but they said it is not that hard to do well, given that youre prepared. students can also work together on assignments, unless things are very individual. i wouldnt be nervous about grades dropping

on admitted students day, the current students emphasized that the public health school is not cut-throat like the business school. its not as competitive between students either. that said, you do still have to do the readings, be prepared, etc., but they said it is not that hard to do well, given that youre prepared. students can also work together on assignments, unless things are very individual. i wouldnt be nervous about grades dropping

Sweet. Thanks!

On another note, are any of you guys here thinking of pursuing medical school after the MPH?

I'm applying for MPH Fall 2013 Admission, and I'm planning on getting my MD after. I've always wanted to get an MPH, and I think it's an affordable, practical, and fascinating way for me to spend the time before the medical school. (Although, I guess affordable isn't exactly what comes to mind when anyone hears Columbia...)

Ditto. New York would've been fun, but UMich was definitely more student friendly! The difference in scholarship funding was just icing on the cake...

I am choosing UNC-Chapel Hill over Columbia. Had the same feeling about UNC - a more supportive environment! Tuition award is a bonus too :)

It is a tough decision. And as the April 15 deadline approaches, I can feel my heart wavering again. Yea living in NYC would have been fun. So a close friend who's working in NYC offered his place for me to stay over whenever I go visit. That kind of makes up a little for that 'lost' opportunity I guess!

I'm applying for MPH Fall 2013 Admission, and I'm planning on getting my MD after. I've always wanted to get an MPH, and I think it's an affordable, practical, and fascinating way for me to spend the time before the medical school. (Although, I guess affordable isn't exactly what comes to mind when anyone hears Columbia...)

That was my original thinking as well. But now I'm starting to have second doubts. People are telling me that if I wanted to do an MPH, I should consider doing it for much cheaper and less time after my MD.

Why are you choosing to pursue MPH prior to MD?

Also, is anyone else applying for on-campus housing? The application starts today. Other than the Towers residence which has been recommended, anybody else have insights as to what other buildings might be good or bad?

That was my original thinking as well. But now I'm starting to have second doubts. People are telling me that if I wanted to do an MPH, I should consider doing it for much cheaper and less time after my MD.

Why are you choosing to pursue MPH prior to MD?

First of, I'm pursuing my MPH first because I am currently an international student who is patiently waiting for my green card to come. When I graduate, I don't think I'll have my PR status yet, and so the only way for me to stay in the country is to attend graduate school or find a job. MPH is one of my grad school choices that my parents could actually afford. Additionally, finding a job right after undergrad for an OPT (basically a one year job placement) is a pain. I think it's a really interesting thing to do while waiting.

Second, I like the idea that upon graduating a MPH program, I can work and earn a bit of money before applying to medical school. I'm want to have an EH concentration so I can work in toxicology. Getting work/research experience through the MPH or after graduating could might boost my stats too, or give me an interesting point to talk about in my PR.

I would really like to know how everyone feels about the cost of Columbia. I haven't made my decision yet (I got an extension) but the amount I'll be in debt for choosing Columbia seems insane! MPH salaries are pretty low so how are you all justifying the debt you are about to create?

I would really like to know how everyone feels about the cost of Columbia. I haven't made my decision yet (I got an extension) but the amount I'll be in debt for choosing Columbia seems insane! MPH salaries are pretty low so how are you all justifying the debt you are about to create?

It came down to Columbia and BU with scholarship money for me and I turned down BU because I really did not like the program. It felt way too loose for me and I like rigid programs when it comes to school. I enjoyed Columbia and I couldn't go somewhere I hated just to take advantage of scholarship money.

I thought long and hard over the decision and I'm looking at going to Columbia as a major investment for my future career. I'm in the HPM track which seems to net the higher paid positions hopefully.

I contacted the head of financial aid and asked him for guidance on how to decrease my loans and he said he would try and come up with something. Even if it's for the second year to save me money. That really solidified it for me that they really do try to ease the burden. Plus I am a native ny'er so I can forego the additional housing expense by living with family.

Hey Emsy, what was the result with your conversation with the head of financial aid? I'm going through the same thing and waiting for his response.
Anyone else have thoughts about the cost of attending Columbia?

hey guys! im excited to start this fall! i had a question about the new curriculum: is it easier now to take courses from other disciplines? im doing the sociomedical track but i've recently been interested in global health. i kind of want to combine the two somehow into a project but haven't thought about how. i didnt apply for the global health certificate because im doing the accelerated 1 year program. anyone know how much easier it really is to take other courses? thanks!

congrats to everyone who got in!

Hey guys,
I'm a bit confused as to how the financial aid package works. I just today received a merit award from the financial aid office- is that to be used only on tuition, or can I put it toward living expenses? If i decide to put it toward tuition, how do i decrease my federal loan amount? I don't want to take out a larger loan than i need too... any help would be appreciated!

also, does anyone know when "broker day" is?

Last edited:
Hey guys,
I'm a bit confused as to how the financial aid package works. I just today received a merit award from the financial aid office- is that to be used only on tuition, or can I put it toward living expenses? If i decide to put it toward tuition, how do i decrease my federal loan amount? I don't want to take out a larger loan than i need too... any help would be appreciated!

also, does anyone know when "broker day" is?

I believe they said at admitted day that broker day was July 7th this year.

I am a Canadian student. Does anyone know how to get the I-20 form?
Thanks.

I am a Canadian student. Does anyone know how to get the I-20 form?
Thanks.

Hi, I'm also an international student. I have received an email that points out what I need to do to get the I-20 issued. If you have not received one, I believe it is good if you contact the admission office so that they can direct you.

Hello everyone

I am an international student...going to Mailman this year! I accepted my offer pretty late(in june) and was wondering if everyone has already received orientation information or more input about the new curriculum from the school by now... I feel pretty lost still and have not got any information about what to expect from the school yet :(

Hello everyone

I am an international student...going to Mailman this year! I accepted my offer pretty late(in june) and was wondering if everyone has already received orientation information or more input about the new curriculum from the school by now... I feel pretty lost still and have not got any information about what to expect from the school yet :(

We've already received two e-mails worth of information, I would contact the school so you get on those e-mail lists.

Also you want to be able to set up your Columbia e-mail account because as of this last mailing, all e-mails are going directly to our Columbia addresses and they are requesting information for a student viewbook, etc.

Hi Emsy,

thank you so much for replying!thankfully I got those e-mails you mentioned just sometime back and was able to setup mu UNI

HIIII

I am currently trying to decide between Emory and Columbia. I have tuition covered at both except housing...so Columbia would require me to get loans for living expenses. I wanted to ask you, if you don't mind, what are the pros/cons of this school as a current student. Any info will be appreciated thanks!!!

Hey fellas,

I'm starting MPH at Columbia this fall and am looking for on campus housing. For those who stayed or are currently staying there, which one would you recommend? Do they have gyms or swimming pools? Are they catered?

Thanks,
Chriskyk

Hey all,

I am currently a student at Columbia Mailman School of Public Health finishing my first year, so I just thought I would put myself out there if you have any questions I can answer, fears I can alleviate, etc., please feel free to reply or contact me at my email: [email protected]. None of my responses would be officially sanctioned by Columbia or anything, but I can give you some informal information/advice if you want it.

-------------------

That being said, if any of you are interested in coming down to New York early, I'll be subletting my bedroom (it's in a 3-bed apartment I share with another public health student and a dental student) for the summer, when I'll be completing my practicum for school. It's fully furnished, as is the apartment as a whole, and will be available from June 1st through August 15th, though you will only be responsible for rent for June and July. Rent is $820 (with some room for negotiation), and all utilities are included or will be taken care of (including wi-fi). Importantly, at the corner of 170th and Fort Washington, it's literally two minutes from CUMC and the School of Public Health, as well as from major trains to go downtown. Laundry is in the building, and it's secure. Just one block from a grocery store.

I'd be glad to give you more details or send you pictures, feel free to email me at [email protected]. Thanks!

Hey all,

I am currently a student at Columbia Mailman School of Public Health finishing my first year, so I just thought I would put myself out there if you have any questions I can answer, fears I can alleviate, etc., please feel free to reply or contact me at my email: [email protected]. None of my responses would be officially sanctioned by Columbia or anything, but I can give you some informal information/advice if you want it.

-------------------

That being said, if any of you are interested in coming down to New York early, I'll be subletting my bedroom (it's in a 3-bed apartment I share with another public health student and a dental student) for the summer, when I'll be completing my practicum for school. It's fully furnished, as is the apartment as a whole, and will be available from June 1st through August 15th, though you will only be responsible for rent for June and July. Rent is $820 (with some room for negotiation), and all utilities are included or will be taken care of (including wi-fi). Importantly, at the corner of 170th and Fort Washington, it's literally two minutes from CUMC and the School of Public Health, as well as from major trains to go downtown. Laundry is in the building, and it's secure. Just one block from a grocery store.

I'd be glad to give you more details or send you pictures, feel free to email me at [email protected]. Thanks!

Hey, thanks for reaching out to us all. I wondered if I could ask a few general questions about tuition and debt --

As a current student, does your department give you specific figures as to how much money people are making right after graduation and how long it usually takes people to find jobs?
How much departmental aid do students receive when searching for a practicum? Are most students' practicum positions paid or volunteer?
Lastly, now that you're a year in, would you ever recommend someone go to Mailman if they had to pay their entire way with loans? (Mailman is definitely the school for me, but I didn't receive any kind of funding and can't bring myself to take the plunge)

Good luck to you, and thanks!

Hey, thanks for reaching out to us all. I wondered if I could ask a few general questions about tuition and debt --

As a current student, does your department give you specific figures as to how much money people are making right after graduation and how long it usually takes people to find jobs?
How much departmental aid do students receive when searching for a practicum? Are most students' practicum positions paid or volunteer?
Lastly, now that you're a year in, would you ever recommend someone go to Mailman if they had to pay their entire way with loans? (Mailman is definitely the school for me, but I didn't receive any kind of funding and can't bring myself to take the plunge)

Good luck to you, and thanks!

Hey!

All very good questions! I'll answer them one at a time:

I'm in the Department of Sociomedical Sciences (SMS), and they haven't given us any specifics on jobs unfortunately, or at least not that I've received, but I don't frequently go to the Career Services Center, where that kind of information would undoubtedly be available. They do a ton of events and send out frequent emails, so it would definitely be something you could be proactive about (unlike me... I think I just want to try to enjoy my time here and not stress about it until I have to... probably sounds crazy but I'm like that).

As for practicums, it's all about what you're interested in doing. As far as I know, every department has a practicum advisor that can help identify a great practicum, and your individually-assigned advisor within your department and certificate are excellent resources as well. SMS also sends out very regular emails this time of year with practicums available. Additionally, there are heavily advertised school-wide practicums (read: available to anyone, regardless of department) available. I, however, would recommend identifying what you want to do and listen for professors who work in that area, then asking them to put in contact with potential connections. That's how I found mine, and I can't wait! Most people tend to hold out for practicums that pay, but they are relatively few and far between in my experience. However, Mailman is instituting a school-wide financial support for practicums, with the amount depending on the location. I imagine that will continue into next year. It won't be a lot, but enough to get you started and encourage you to pick something you like rather than something that pays.

That's a really tough question... I did receive some funding, but still had to take out pretty hefty loans for tuition, fees, and living expenses. I saw and still see graduate school, and Mailman especially, as an investment in my future and hope that some day soon it will land me a better job that will make the loans manageable. I can honestly say that Mailman is on the cutting edge of public health, and that the quality, prestige, and programming it offers, in my opinion, is second to none. Plus, the connections that the professors here can leverage are incredible, and something that could make all the difference. I would definitely recommend it to my best of friends. Furthermore, their support is phenomenal, and I've never regretted coming here or spending the money for a second. Of course, that's just my experience, but hopefully it helps!

Good luck to you as well!