Columbia Class 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
People don't get paid for practicums at Mailman? Wow. I mean, that isn't a lot of money in the long run, but still. I guess Mailman is starting to fix that issue with the new program, from what you said.

Members don't see this ad.

can anyone please explain me about the summer courses at columbia? is it optional or students are required to take courses during summer?i referred to columbia website which says (the option of pursuing additional coursework in the summer at additional cost) i am not sure if it's a dumb question but i am kind of confused:confused: I am very worried about the cost, if i have to pay extra for summer courses then Mailman may not be anaffordable choice for me with high cost of tuition and expensive living cost at NYC :( i may have to reconside my choice

Last edited:
Hey All,

Another current student here, first year in the PopFam department with a focus on Sexuality, Sexual and Reproductive Health.

Please feel free to ask me any questions about the program---there are certainly a lot of pros and cons, but I think what matters most is that matches best the educational experience you are seeking.

A Few Notes on Grades:
The Core curriculum is rigorous and challenging. You will learn a lot, but it's a lot of work. There were two classes where grades were inflated and that was because an alarming number of students were doing poorly in them that the administration was wise enough to realize a lot of the problems were on their end. But ultimately, grades were not inflated that much. I have many peers who got C's. That being said, unless you're going for a phd or have a scholarship thats contingent on maintaining a certain GPA, grades aren't really that big of a deal in grad school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oops, the second bit got cut off:

Practicums
Most student's practicums are not paid. I think this is indicative of the economic climate we live in more than anything else, but its something to keep in mind. The school does provide small stipends, depending on where you go ($1000 if its another country, $500 if you go somewhere out of the tri-state area, $250 if you stay in the tri-state area)--but I can't be certain if that will be more or less in the years to come.

Practicums
Most student's practicums are not paid. I think this is indicative of the economic climate we live in more than anything else, but its something to keep in mind. The school does provide small stipends, depending on where you go ($1000 if its another country, $500 if you go somewhere out of the tri-state area, $250 if you stay in the tri-state area)--but I can't be certain if that will be more or less in the years to come.
Hi ! Would you mind share you knowledge on the Columbia's current thread?? Many of us would love to hear your opinions!

Practicums

Here is a link to the current thread we are using this year. Thank you for offering your experience to help us :)

Reactions: 1 user
Hey All,

Another current student here, first year in the PopFam department with a focus on Sexuality, Sexual and Reproductive Health.

Please feel free to ask me any questions about the program---there are certainly a lot of pros and cons, but I think what matters most is that matches best the educational experience you are seeking.

A Few Notes on Grades:
The Core curriculum is rigorous and challenging. You will learn a lot, but it's a lot of work. There were two classes where grades were inflated and that was because an alarming number of students were doing poorly in them that the administration was wise enough to realize a lot of the problems were on their end. But ultimately, grades were not inflated that much. I have many peers who got C's. That being said, unless you're going for a phd or have a scholarship thats contingent on maintaining a certain GPA, grades aren't really that big of a deal in grad school.
Hi,

Thank you for sharing your experience! May I ask which classes did you mentioned above?