Columbia vs. UCSF ()

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

QuestionZ

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, hope everyone is having a great holiday. On December 1st, I was fortunate enough to be accepted into all the schools I interviewed for this past semester, including Columbia, UCSF, and a couple others. After some tough thinking, I've decided that I'd like to live in a big city for the next 4 years of my life, and I think I've narrowed it down to Columbia and UCSF. However, I've been struggling to pick between the two options, and I figured this would be a great place to think things out/get some advice from my peers.

Also, I am extremely fortunate enough to not have to worry about cost.

Columbia:
Education:
1. P/F/H
2.Strong focus on specializing, most students who don't specialize do some kind of general residency
3. Block schedule with a final exam week
4. Lots of research opportunities
5. The Columbia name

Living:
1. Washington Heights. I've heard it's a great place to live and not far from the inner city
2. Not sure about the food options in the Washington Heights area
3. Students seem to have a great social life, lots of things to do in the city
4. Not sure about what the overall culture of the school, students, and faculty is like.

UCSF:
Education:
1. P/F with like some kind of honors for 1st and 2nd year, P/F/H for 3rd and 4th year
2. Not as many students specialize, but I've heard good things about their reputation. I'm also unsure of how ready students are for general dentistry once they graduate
3. Block schedule with like a final exam week
4. Probably the best research program in the whole country
5. UCSF isn't as well known to the general public

Living:
1. Don't know much about it at all
2. Some really great food options very close to campus
3. Students also seem to have a lot of fun out of their academics, lots of stuff to do in SF as well
4. Just like Columbia, I'm not sure about what the overall culture of the school, students, and faculty is like.

Well, there you have it. I feel very fortunate and privileged to be in such a wonderful dilemma. However, it's kind of killing me. Every time I decide on a school, I get an awful feeling for having to give up the other. I'm going into dental school with a very open mind, and I'm not really set on anything. I was wondering if you guys could discuss this and perhaps give me some insight?

Best,
Z

Also, for those who are curious, my GPA and Sci GPA are around 3.75 and my DAT is above 25.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Obviously from my sig I picked Columbia, but I don't think you can go wrong either way. Really comes down to East Coast vs. West Coast , NYC vs. San Fran, how much you care about the Columbia "name", etc.

If you really can't decide I would call up both schools about visiting again. Congrats on getting into both!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user