COMAT scores below average

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1150906

I have had 4 COMATs so far with every test being below 90 except 1 which was 96. I am not sure what I am doing wrong. I am doing COMBANK and UWORLD questions. Tips on how to improve?

Members don't see this ad.

Most COMAT are trash because they test a lot of random crap that isn't covered in any books. The COMBANK isn't even that great as it rarely correlates to what they ask on the test. I would say try to get COMQUEST and see if that helps. You might also be lacking foundational knowledge and just be memorizing from the bank rather than understanding the larger themes

Reactions: 1 user
Most COMAT are trash because they test a lot of random crap that isn't covered in any books. The COMBANK isn't even that great as it rarely correlates to what they ask on the test. I would say try to get COMQUEST and see if that helps. You might also be lacking foundational knowledge and just be memorizing from the bank rather than understanding the larger themes
what can I do to increase foundational knowledge? I try to read all the explanations for every question I do

Members don't see this ad :)
what can I do to increase foundational knowledge? I try to read all the explanations for every question I do
I don't know what's popular these days, but back in my time you could do Doctors in Training or another similar video set

How well did you study for step1?

That is your foundational knowledge.

Uworld, pathoma, sketchy still your best resources.

Supplement with OME, divine podcasts

How well did you study for step1?

That is your foundational knowledge.

Uworld, pathoma, sketchy still your best resources.

Supplement with OME, divine podcasts
I didn't take step 1, just level 1. I passed it and thought my review was decent. I didn't think I would be struggling 3rd year. From what I have seen, it seems like I am a serious risk for failing level 2? I am 4 tests down already, I didn't know I was that far into the hole.

I didn't take step 1, just level 1. I passed it and thought my review was decent. I didn't think I would be struggling 3rd year. From what I have seen, it seems like I am a serious risk for failing level 2? I am 4 tests down already, I didn't know I was that far into the hole.
You're getting ahead of yourself. If you begin to get better grades by studying more effectively, you will likely be better prepared to study for Level 2 and pass it comfortably

Use whatever the popular step 2 anki deck is right now for each rotation and try to keep up with it. Focus on uworld. The DO question banks aren’t that good.

Gonna use Anki from now on. Continue UWORLD and COMBANK and will go over each answer choice. Will watch Dr.Highyield a day before the exam. Might go over first aid for certain concepts. Will update yall after my next COMAT.

would honestly ditch Combank, Uworld offers more than enough Q's. Divine intervention podcasts are also clutch af if you have longish commutes.

UW is plenty, make sure you do as much of it as you can. I was an average student in preclinical and Im getting 100-110 just with UW (no anki). I didn't even finish all of IM and surgery and did fine on those. Combank and comquest will confuse you.