Comlex level 2 PE eSOAP after July 2014, scoring, pass rates...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bubba Jones

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just took the Comlex level 2 PE and found the new eSOAP note cumbersome. I want to get feedback from others who took the exam in July 2014 with the new eSOAP note format.

I lost time fumbling w the touchscreen or tab button to get between boxes and lost sight of the cursor several times. I felt my notes were sloppy and incomplete as I ran out of time scrambling with the system. Using the NBOME practice eSOAP note at home on my computer, did not prepare me for how awkward data entry would be on the real exam :(.

Did anyone else feel this way, hope it's not just me? Hope they go easy on us with scoring related to the new eSOAP.

Also, I heard there is a 95% pass rate, is this true? During breaks, after every 4 patient encounters, I was kicking myself with things I missed that suddenly came to me like - no dah.

Regarding scoring, I watched all the NBOME videos, but does anyone have a sense on how they weight the scoring for: Hx taking, PE, OMM Tx, discussing A & P w Pt, Humanistic stuff, and eSOAP note?

Any feedback, much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I hear you. Same here. I took it yesterday. I lost a lot of time playing around with the touchscreen. Whenever I wanted to insert a word into a sentence, I had to touch the screen like 5 times for the cursor to show up. There were 2 times that the cursor didn't show up after I touched the screen multiple times, I gave up touching. I think my notes were out of order. I reported this problem in the post-survey. Man, I hope I pass.

Why don't they just use a mouse instead of the touch screen?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I hear you. Same here. I took it yesterday. I lost a lot of time playing around with the touchscreen. Whenever I wanted to insert a word into a sentence, I had to touch the screen like 5 times for the cursor to show up. There were 2 times that the cursor didn't show up after I touched the screen multiple times, I gave up touching. I think my notes were out of order. I reported this problem in the post-survey. Man, I hope I pass.
I hear you. Same here. I took it yesterday. I lost a lot of time playing around with the touchscreen. Whenever I wanted to insert a word into a sentence, I had to touch the screen like 5 times for the cursor show up. There were 2 times that the cursor didn't show up after I touched the screen multiple times, I gave up touching. I think my notes were out of order. I reported this problem in the post-survey. Man, I hope I pass.

Thank you for the feedback I feel the same - when i quickly thought of something, I'd be fumbling through trying to get to the right place to input it and then forgot what i wanted to add. Even basics like switching order of DDX etc clicking up up up back back/.... Like SnowDoggy44 said "why not add a mouse in stead."
Why don't they just use a mouse instead of the touch screen?

Even when the touch screen did work, it would wouldn't go to the position I wanted and i had to arrow several times to get there. it got me terribly flustered - I pray I passed too - I didn't need that extra distraction, it was hard to stay focused. In almost all my SOAPs I had pieces missing that I knew i needed to include, but as time was dwindling down, I had to get down to something in assessment and plan before time ran out... and time ran out on me every note - some were more complete than others. On one i was trying switch order of DDX and accidently, hit tab I guess. because with seconds left i jus started typing to get it, time ran out and i realized I put my top assmemt DDx in the the plan box, instead.

I know they kept our notes sheets but my hand writing sucks, if they use that as back up that probably wont legible to anyone but me. I tried to shake if o but, without 0ff and with out time to catch my breath the next encountered started - I felt flustered all day ;(... it did't represent my knowledge or patient sckiils and ability to ddx and plan. On breaks and after exam, I remember so many things i should have put, asked about , or performed in PE and Tx that i sould have adde to get to fast enough. Guess all we can do is wait. I'd hate to in the 5% fail rate ;(

Do you think the encoulter counts more that the soap note? I hope so!

I feel better kmowing it wasn't jsut me. Thanks guys!

Thank you for the feedback I feel the same - when i quickly thought of something, I'd be fumbling through trying to get to the right place to input it and then forgot what i wanted to add. Even basics like switching order of DDX etc clicking up up up back back/.... Like SnowDoggy44 said "why not add a mouse in stead."

Even when the touch screen did work, it would wouldn't go to the position I wanted and i had to arrow several times to get there. it got me terribly flustered - I pray I passed too - I didn't need that extra distraction, it was hard to stay focused. In almost all my SOAPs I had pieces missing that I knew i needed to include, but as time was dwindling down, I had to get down to something in assessment and plan before time ran out... and time ran out on me every note - some were more complete than others. On one i was trying switch order of DDX and accidently, hit tab I guess. because with seconds left i jus started typing to get it, time ran out and i realized I put my top assmemt DDx in the the plan box, instead.

I know they kept our notes sheets but my hand writing sucks, if they use that as back up that probably wont legible to anyone but me. I tried to shake if o but, without 0ff and with out time to catch my breath the next encountered started - I felt flustered all day ;(... it did't represent my knowledge or patient sckiils and ability to ddx and plan. On breaks and after exam, I remember so many things i should have put, asked about , or performed in PE and Tx that i sould have adde to get to fast enough. Guess all we can do is wait. I'd hate to in the 5% fail rate ;(

Do you think the encoulter counts more that the soap note? I hope so!

I feel better kmowing it wasn't jsut me. Thanks guys!

Of for got to say, I gave feedack as well but no one else in the room did. if any one eslse had similar problems cna you please let NBOME know now. Thank Y0u!! I how they take is inot consideraion on our grade.

Perhaps if you guys relay your concerns to your Dean's or some other faculty at your school they may have a little more clout in alerting the NBOME to these technical issues, especially since the roll-out is brand spanking new. Just an idea...

Never thought it could get any worse than having to select a button to highlight text.

Reactions: 2 users
Did they outsource this software to a 12-year-old in Bangladesh?

I think having a clipboard outside each door would be helpful.

There were about 3 people complaining about the touchscreen during the breaks on my test day. The proctors recommended them to write down this issue in the post-survey. Also, there were 2 times when I accidentally touched something on the screen and the screen zoomed out very big. I couldn't even see the time at the top right cover. I forgot if I did something to make it back to the normal size or I just ignored it due to time. These little technical things freak me out during the test, my mind didn't 100% focus on my notes and I forgot to write down many physical exams I did with my patients. I hope they will fix this problem soon and no one else will experience the problem I had.

I heard they have a set 95% pass rate, so they must fail 1 out of 20 test takers even if they all were amazing. I forget the break down, but vast majority of people who fail the exam fail the humanistic part of the exam.

Well I failed. Hope you did better than I did!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm just wondering if this is a mistake? Anyone else from this block fail? They screwed up comlex ce so maybe?

Well I failed. Hope you did better than I did!
Was it the biomedical part you failed?
Awaiting my score but from my understanding the humanistic portion has nothing to do with your eSOAP.

To Bubba Jones: luckily I passed. I took it on 7/22/2014 and had a hard time playing with the touch screen. I think what helped me pass this exam is that I showed my empathy to my patients anytime they told me about their loss, pain, or suffering. When my patients told me their mother/father passed away, I said "I am so sorry for your loss". If they told me they have a lot of pain, I said " I hear you. Let's figure out what is going on. I don't want to see you suffering. I want to keep your pain under control." At the end, I asked if they have any questions for me or if they like the plan ? Do they want to add anything to the plan or is there anything else they want me to do for them?

To Bubba Jones: luckily I passed. I took it on 7/22/2014 and had a hard time playing with the touch screen. I think what helped me pass this exam is that I showed my empathy to my patients anytime they told me about their loss, pain, or suffering. When my patients told me their mother/father passed away, I said "I am so sorry for your loss". If they told me they have a lot of pain, I said " I hear you. Let's figure out what is going on. I don't want to see you suffering. I want to keep your pain under control." At the end, I asked if they have any questions for me or if they like the plan ? Do they want to add anything to the plan or is there anything else they want me to do for them?

I'm glad you passed. I did everything you did except I did not ask if they like the plan or if they want me to modify it? I did ask if they have more questions or how everything else is though.

Anyhow, I guess my fantasy of the NBOME making a mistake with my exam is no more true. I need to pucker up and retake it.

failed as well. any chance they are going to make a site available in the west coast?