Comlex / Usmle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nice Pipes

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does taking one or the other (COMLEX / USMLE) have any influence on your evaluation as a candidate for certain military residency programs? This may be a silly question, but I figured this would be a good place to ask.

Members don't see this ad.

Does taking one or the other (COMLEX / USMLE) have any influence on your evaluation as a candidate for certain military residency programs? This may be a silly question, but I figured this would be a good place to ask.

It shouldn't, but in some surgical subspecialties it does. Do well on COMLEX and go from there. Face time will be the most valuable part of your application. If a program has worked with you and loves you. Grades and Board scores become secondary.

It seems like it would be a good idea to take the USMLE and the COMLEX because if you get a deferred residency you'll be applying to civilian residencies and, although most programs don't care which test you take, there are still some out there that may not look at the 2 tests equally. Does anyone have any input on this theory?

Members don't see this ad :)
It seems like it would be a good idea to take the USMLE and the COMLEX because if you get a deferred residency you'll be applying to civilian residencies and, although most programs don't care which test you take, there are still some out there that may not look at the 2 tests equally. Does anyone have any input on this theory?

Completely agree. Don't know how it works at your med school, but at my alma mater they use to pay for the COMLEX I and II. In addition, the military will reimburse for either the COMLEX or the USMLE (but not both), so we essentially got to take both tests for free. If you are given a civilian deferment, it is in your best interest (especially if you are applying to MD residency programs) to take both tests, so the program directors don't have to "compare apples to oranges". In addition, if you are bypassed for residency and have to do a GMO/FS tour and then want to get out and do a residency, it only helps to have both tests already taken. Just IMHO though, take it for what its worth, but I think it was the best thing I did to make myself more competitive for MD residencies, even if you can only get one test reimbursed.

I had always been told to just take the COMLEX if you were just going for a military residency (or a civilian residency in most non-super-competitive specialties). A classmate of mine recently told me that an [Army] program director for General Surgery advised him to take the USMLE, as well. I just took COMLEX, and have no plans on taking USMLE.

I was in your situation several years ago. While in med school, I planned to perform a residency in the military. Never considered taking the USMLE. I did well on the COMLEX. Went on to complete an internship, followed by naval operational tour. For personal reasons, decided the separate from the military. During the residency interview trail, I felt that I was shut out from the highly competitive programs because I did not take the USMLE. Allopathic Program directors have difficulty interpreting the COMLEX and really have no way in comparing you with the other candidates who took the USMLE.

Fortunately, I got the interviews that I wanted. You will find that there are many PD and assistant PD that were formerly in the military. They will look at your experience as an advantage and look beyond your board scores. Don't worry, if you take the COMLEX only, you will still match in a program. But you should strongly consider taking the USMLE as well. I wish I did.

I too had to decide if taking the usmle was in my best interest. i decided not to. i matched in ortho. i DID NOT take the usmle.

I think for most of the military specialties (primary care related) COMLEX is enough, besides rotating at the base where you want to match into (if many locations exist). Also, if you rotate where the "consultant" per that specialty is stationed, that can help too as they go to the board as well (consultant is the the person who reports to the surgeon general per branch about the state of that specialty in said branch). Also, I think one program director per specialty goes to that board as well, would be nice to get face time with them. But I digress.

Anyway, I applied for a competitive specialty (ortho) and the program director told me point blank that he was glad that I took USMLE in addition to COMLEX and that it will help me not only in the military match, but clearly in the civilian as well. This is all contrary to what everyone else had told me. Also, you never know what will happen the year that you apply for the military match. Your situation may be better served in a civilian deferment and the USMLE will help you in SO many ways. You can never predict the future.

Lastly, I think despite the nebulous point system that they have in place, there is some wiggle room as well. If they have one spot for civilian deferment between two applicants, I have to believe that regardless of the "points", they'll give the deferment to the person they believe will successfully match in the civilian match. For most specialties, rocking the USMLE will greatly help your application in additiont to COMLEX.

Just my experiences.

Great thread.

Thinking about going in mili residencies as a DO raises a couple ?'s for me. One is if you only take comlex, doesn't it leave you eligible only for more levels of comlex? Once you only take one board, doesn't that force you take only the steps of that board? How can you take like the final level of comlex if you're in an allo mili internship? Do you just study extra indepently or something? Or can you mix the two boards in the case of military? I'm a little concerned how you pass the final levels of the DO boards if you're in an allo mili internship... What am I missing here?

As a DO, you are required to take and pass all of the Step exams in addition to the Step II PE. Regardless of military, allopathic, or osteopathic internship. However, you can take any of the USMLE Steps, not even in order (just Step II if you'd like). So for the military, I'd suggest taking USMLE Step I only (possibly Step II for certain specialties).

Thanks for the info.

I'd rather not take the USMLE steps and the comlex. I'd like to just take comlex and go to mili res. Is this possible? Is there a way to just take complex and never the USMLE and go through mili res. I figure I'm going to DO school; I'll take the DO boards. See what I mean?

Thanks for the info.

I'd rather not take the USMLE steps and the comlex. I'd like to just take comlex and go to mili res. Is this possible? Is there a way to just take complex and never the USMLE and go through mili res. I figure I'm going to DO school; I'll take the DO boards. See what I mean?

There is no problem with just Comlex in the military.
Save your money.

Save your money.

Since were throwing personal opinions around, that is the worst idea ever!

Even more so if you are a) going for a competetive specialty, b) applying for a civilian deferment in a MD residency, or c) if your school is playing for one of the exams (while the military reimburses the other)

Thanks for the info.

Save your money.

Since were throwing personal opinions around, that is the worst idea ever!

Even more so if you are a) going for a competetive specialty, b) applying for a civilian deferment in a MD residency, or c) if your school is playing for one of the exams (while the military reimburses the other)

Given his stated plan, I will disagree that it is worst idea ever. The military does not care USMLE vs COMLEX and is quite capable of giving appropriate weight to either.

Now under option c) - I agree, take both. The problem will arise if the military decides that the USMLE is not required(for a DO student) and refuses to reimburse.

Question about reporting board scores?

Say you do not do so well on one of the board exams. Can you decide which scores to send to individual programs, or do you ALWAYS have to send both scores/USMLE to allopathic residencies/COMLEX to osteopathic residencies? What do the military residencies require?

thanks

I only took COMLEX...did poorly...and matched to my #1 military residency. But I was prior service so that played heavily.