Community College (Experienced Members)

grapp

EMT-A Firefighter
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would it hurt my status if I took a Biology and Anatomy/Physiology course at a local community college?
These are required along with EMT-B, to attend the Paramedic Science course, but I am extremely interested in becoming experienced in pre-hospital care before *hopefully* future medical school.

Major Ideas: Paramedic Science ----->> to B.A. Health Science.

@Goro
@QofQuimica
@lemoncurry

The community college is: The College of Western Idaho

It's an accredited institution, from what I understand Goro, you are an ADCOM?

Thanks for any help, special thanks to the people tagged to respond! :)

(I've heard so many different things, but would two courses hurt my overall impact if GPA and MCAT are competitive?)

Members don't see this ad.

Why don't you just take a&p at community college for your emt-b/paramedic, and then take higher level bio courses at university down the line? A lot of colleges have more advanced a&p for "health science students".

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Why don't you just take a&p at community college for your emt-b/paramedic, and then take higher level bio courses at university down the line? A lot of colleges have more advanced a&p for "health science students".

Biology & Basic A&P are required. I'm asking if it would hurt my future app, because of this decision on 2 intro level courses?

Members don't see this ad :)
It's not a big deal. Plenty of people have their entire first two years done at two year colleges and then go onto take a good amount of upper levels and get into medical school.

Nope.

But double check with MSAR to see which schools accept CC credits. Baylor doesn't, for example.

Adcom member with > 12 years experience.

Would it hurt my status if I took a Biology and Anatomy/Physiology course at a local community college?
These are required along with EMT-B, to attend the Paramedic Science course, but I am extremely interested in becoming experienced in pre-hospital care before *hopefully* future medical school.

Major Ideas: Paramedic Science ----->> to B.A. Health Science.

@Goro
@QofQuimica
@lemoncurry

The community college is: The College of Western Idaho

It's an accredited institution, from what I understand Goro, you are an ADCOM?

Thanks for any help, special thanks to the people tagged to respond! :)

(I've heard so many different things, but would two courses hurt my overall impact if GPA and MCAT are competitive?)

Reactions: 1 user
Biology & Basic A&P are required. I'm asking if it would hurt my future app, because of this decision on 2 intro level courses?

My point was that if you take a 400 level bio down the road at a university and crush it, no one will care where you took bio 101 and intro to a&p, excepting if you bomb it (which I doubt you will do).

There is no one single answer to your question; every med school makes its own policy decisions regarding what prereqs must be taken and what types of courses are acceptable for fulfilling them. You should check with the med schools where you plan to apply regarding their policies on accepting biology CC credits. Most schools will accept them, particularly if you've subsequently taken upper level biology coursework at a four year institution. However, you do need to consider that some schools "recommend" not taking CC prereqs. This basically means that the school generally does not take CC credits, but may make exceptions in certain cases. For schools like this, you will be making more of an uphill battle for yourself by taking CC coursework, but you may still be considered by them if the rest of your app is stellar overall.

Nope.

But double check with MSAR to see which schools accept CC credits. Baylor doesn't, for example.

Adcom member with > 12 years experience.
;) I know your a pro Goro :D Thank you for the response.

Reactions: 1 user
There is no one single answer to your question; every med school makes its own policy decisions regarding what prereqs must be taken and what types of courses are acceptable for fulfilling them. You should check with the med schools where you plan to apply regarding their policies on accepting biology CC credits. Most schools will accept them, particularly if you've subsequently taken upper level biology coursework at a four year institution. However, you do need to consider that some schools "recommend" not taking CC prereqs. This basically means that the school generally does not take CC credits, but may make exceptions in certain cases. For schools like this, you will be making more of an uphill battle for yourself by taking CC coursework, but you may still be considered by them if the rest of your app is stellar overall.
Thank you for the input, very descriptive. I will look more into it.

My point was that if you take a 400 level bio down the road at a university and crush it, no one will care where you took bio 101 and intro to a&p, excepting if you bomb it (which I doubt you will do).

True, good point @sonofva Thank you.