Community College Pre-reqs UNITE!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

roballan14

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you have done your pre-reqs at a community college and gotten into to medical school OR are on your way, post your story here! We must be united! IF you have done your pre-reqs at a traditional university and want to save us community college folks from peril, PLEASE DON'T POST HERE!!

I will start us off...

I am doing my pre-reqs (minus the upper levels) at a community college in North Texas. I am hoping to get into TCOM or UTSW. I am finding my professors to be very supportive and willing to help. Most of the people I have shadowed have been very helpful as well. They have often suggested a few things (like research or intense shadowing ) to help 'offset' the 'community college effect' on my application. We will see if this works in about two years!!

Please, dear friends, unite and post, post, post!!!

Members don't see this ad.

roballan14 said:
If you have done your pre-reqs at a community college and gotten into to medical school OR are on your way, post your story here! We must be united! IF you have done your pre-reqs at a traditional university and want to save us community college folks from peril, PLEASE DON'T POST HERE!!

I will start us off...

I am doing my pre-reqs (minus the upper levels) at a community college in North Texas. I am hoping to get into TCOM or UTSW. I am finding my professors to be very supportive and willing to help. Most of the people I have shadowed have been very helpful as well. They have often suggested a few things (like research or intense shadowing ) to help 'offset' the 'community college effect' on my application. We will see if this works in about two years!!

I did it. I'm at UNTHSC-TCOM. I went to a cc for my prereqs but I already had a BS from Texas A&M a long time ago. I ended up getting a second degree in BIO after everything was said and done. I did research in asthma. I shadowed tons. EC's out the kazoo. Took the tough upper division bio classes as well. Did well on the MCAT (you need to rock on the verbal!). PM me if ya got any questions. TTYL. bye.

Oh...it can be done!!! :) :thumbup: :)

roballan14 said:

I will start us off...

"North Texas community college" can only mean one thing, Dallas County Community Colleges, DCCCD.

DCCCD and especially Northlake are mythical legends in the pre-med world in the Metroplex. Folks in Dallas are VERY proud of their CC system. It is very popular with pre-meds, post-bacc's and especially non-trads.

It's one of the most renowned CC groups in the country. The telecourses and online courses are used in CC's and 4-year schools worldwide. It is also very economical at only $33/cr.hr./in-state - $96 out-of-state.

If you stand outside a UTSW classroom and take a survey, you would probably find more than a few students who took classes at Northlake, Richland or one of the other DCCC's.

Read the story of Dr. Kim Saenz, a DCCCD alum:

http://www.dcccd.edu/About+DCCCD/News+and+Events/It+All+Begins+Here/Alumni+Profiles/Kim+Saenz.htm

The accelerated classes at Northlake will allow you to complete the 2 semesters sequence of Physics, Bio, Gen Chem AND O-chem in 3 semesters. The Bio and Chem department are OUTSTANDING.

I took classes at Northlake and in the DCCCD. If fortune permits it, I will take more.

I am not in med school yet, but UTSW is one of my targets. My community college classes at Northlake will be the foundation of my pre-med educational plans. By adding classes from a 4-year, I think I will do quite well in the application process.

Agape

Members don't see this ad :)
Doing *some* (though not all; just math and chemistry) pre-reqs at the community college. I am 31, presently a student at San Diego Mesa College (which is somewhat of a "feeder" school for UCSD) and preparing to transfer to UC Davis as a biology major. Davis requires all the prereqs of bio majors that are required for premed - chemistry, o-chem, physics, calculus, etc.

Since I'm passionate about biology and would major in it even without being premed, this is the most sensible choice for me anyway.

I also am a high school dropout. Much of my situation is due to having untreated depression and undiagnosed ADHD for years. Following getting treatment for both, I am really turning things around.

I'll let you know how I do.

I took Physics I, Gen Chem I and II, Microbio, and Anat and Phys all at Comm. College and was accepted to four dental schools. All other pre-reqs were taken at 4-year schools.

Don't flame me because I'm a pre-dent, we're all non-trads in this forum.

Wow - I read your mesage, and was shocked by the similiaritites (Non-trad, CC, TX, accelerated courses, UTSW) so, I had to post:

I took my pre-reqs at community college, in a similar accellerated format. Actually I clepped bio (I didn't have 8 hours to transfer), and took accelerated physics, chem, and o'chem. This let me finish the pre-req's and take 2 upper level biologies (at public 4 year univ.) all in 2 semesters. I then studied for the MCAT the next summer and did well. I can't imagine any better way of taking these courses.

Regarding the “rigour” of the courses: If you compare the minimum effort required to make a B or A at the CC, it is probably less than the effort at university – especially for making a B or C. However, I’m really not sure as that was not my goal. I knew I was taking the MCAT soon, and wanted to master these topics. So, I put a lot of effort into the course, and really took advantage of the 8-12 person class size, and talked to the professors often. I can't imagine learning any more or being more prepared for the MCAT by taking the courses at a 4-year university. (I did still study –EK- for the MCAT the following summer!)

How did the med schools consider the courses? During interviews, I was never asked about the CC courses, certainly not in a negative way. Not even at schools that require you single out your pre-reqs on their secondaries (which really draws attention to them all being CC.) I did take more biology classes at a 4 year university, so I don’t know how they would have been recieved by themselves. (I originally planned to apply that same summer -hence all of the accel courses- but I ended up taking an extra year before applying. This gave me the chance to take more university classes.)

And finally, for the OP - I was accepted to my top choice school, UT Southwestern, and start next fall!

Good Luck.

Another Clepper! I may be doing the CLEP for my lower math, because I have been doing "catch-up" on my own/with tutors/in the math lab at school, intending to "test in" to precalc and also get into Chemistry next semester.

However, where I am moving, the community college district does not allow you to "test in" to any class higher than first year algebra. [Before I knew I was going to move, I was going to just take the Level II exam and go straight into Precalc; this district accepts that. The one I'm moving to, doesn't.]

The district I'm moving to, requires you to complete the prerequisite classes. They will, however, accept the CLEP in order to waive math/science prerequisites.

What can you tell me about the CLEP?

The conventional wisdom has been that you should take as many classes at the University as you can, and not do prereqs at a community college if you can help it, but I want to finish *all* my math at the community college so that I can take advantage of the lower prices and smaller class size. Math has always been a point of anxiety for me. I've already completed most of the rest of the IGETC for transfer to UC Davis, except for the math. I've been in the community college system off and on for years (between various jobs) but did not know I was going to be premed that whole time, and was planning on just taking Statistics!

I did a year and a half at the CC in California. I was a single mother and the $150/semester tuition was right up my ally! :) I did all my gen. chem. and college algebra at the CC and thought my professors were on par with the university profs. In Cali, they've done a good job too with making the CC's a feeder for the universities, so it's in your best interest to succeed. They give CC transfer students top priority for accpetances and registering for classes. You're actually better off going to a CC first, then transferring to a university! Anyway, I'm very glad I went the CC and would recommend it to everyone. Oh, and I got into WesternU/COMP! :thumbup:

Khenon said:
I did a year and a half at the CC in California. I was a single mother and the $150/semester tuition was right up my ally! :) I did all my gen. chem. and college algebra at the CC and thought my professors were on par with the university profs. In Cali, they've done a good job too with making the CC's a feeder for the universities, so it's in your best interest to succeed. They give CC transfer students top priority for accpetances and registering for classes. You're actually better off going to a CC first, then transferring to a university! Anyway, I'm very glad I went the CC and would recommend it to everyone. Oh, and I got into WesternU/COMP! :thumbup:

Hi
I am a 21(in august) single mom in twin cities starting off at a cc. I will begin this May and transfer for Fall 06'. During this year I will complete math 1150(college algebra) Biology I & 2, Phycis I and English I, plus some liberal arts classes. So when I transfer to the U ofM, I will be Sophomore. I am excited and scared!
I have decide that I want to major in Women's Studies (B.A) and a Minor in Chemistry.

Hi,
I am 30 and I am jumping through the hoops [filling out the endless streams of forms] to transfer to the University of Illinois this fall. They accepted all of my 77 hours of cc pre-reqs, except for a class I didn't want to transfer. :cool: The advisors for the U were very happy to see me, too.
The cc I went to has a concurrent enrollment agreement, so it's just like going to the U, but cheaper. ;) It even has the same students. I'm thinking seriously about taking Org. Chem there next semester.
Truth

Hey all,

I think the CC issue is as much lore as it is reality, at least outside the big name med schools.

In the military I took many, many CC classes. Once out of the service I finished at a big U but did take a couple science classes at a CC (cheaper, easier schedule).

I got into med school and have matched into a competitive specialty (ortho). I don't recall if the CC issue ever came up....maybe it was assumed that my military schedule only allowed for CC classes.

Bottom line, if you kill the MCAT concerns about a "CC education" will likely be reduced.

STAC said:
I did it. I'm at UNTHSC-TCOM. I went to a cc for my prereqs but I already had a BS from Texas A&M a long time ago. I ended up getting a second degree in BIO after everything was said and done. I did research in asthma. I shadowed tons. EC's out the kazoo. Took the tough upper division bio classes as well. Did well on the MCAT (you need to rock on the verbal!). PM me if ya got any questions. TTYL. bye.

Oh...it can be done!!! :) :thumbup: :)

Oh my God I am almost a second year!!!
My cc background was solid and I am thankful for it. They have awesome caring professors that I never saw at A&M. You guys go for it and know that you know yourself just like the folks that went to the big named schools. You will do great and remember to keep up the hard work and drive you have now and it will by the road to your dreams!!!!

dry dre said:
I got into med school and have matched into a competitive specialty (ortho). I don't recall if the CC issue ever came up....maybe it was assumed that my military schedule only allowed for CC classes.

I agree with Dre. It only came up (barely) in one of my five interviews.

I completed general chemistry I and II, physics I and II, and biology I and II at a CC. The instructors were awesome, and it was a great way to "get back in the swing of things" when I went back to school.

Now, I did complete an A.S. before I transfered to a 4 year school. That might not be everyone's cup of tea, but I figured that I might as well get the diploma if I'm taking all the classes. :D

*** edited to add: Honestly, it should be a non-issue. CC is an excellent choice for knocking out classes as it is affordable, convenient, and just as challenging as the same classes at a 4-year school. :)

DrCara said:
Now, I did complete an A.S. before I transfered to a 4 year school. That might not be everyone's cup of tea, but I figured that I might as well get the diploma if I'm taking all the classes. :D

In California, more and more community colleges will grant you an AA in "General Studies" or "Transfer Studies" upon transferring. Although I'm sure it looks lots better to have an AA/AS in a real subject.

I am not bothering with getting an AA/AS because I'm almost done with the IGETC - and doing the AA/AS would just hold me up much, much longer. It seems like most of the Cali schools have a heap of classes required in *addition* to whatever you would take to fulfill your IGETC. And in many cases, these classes aren't even transferrable.

sunnyjohn said:
"North Texas community college" can only mean one thing, Dallas County Community Colleges, DCCCD.

Or that could also mean Collin County Community College. I went to both CCCCD and Richland. CCCCD is very proud their chem is ACS accredited whereas DCCCD isn't. I can't say that it has mattered to me, I took some chem at both and nobody ever questioned either.

my friend is a CC success story. she went to austin CC...took org chem there also. transfered to UT-Austin graduated with a 3.9 GPA and got accepted to UCLA medical school. hows that for a success story? and she is of traditional age. she started med school at 23. anything is possible. also she also had to retake gen chem and took org chem I 3 times just to pass it. so dont give up.