Community College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PMEDIC2DOC

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How poorly, if at all, do admissions committee view community college credit?

Background: I have an associates degree in Emergency Health Sciences and Bachelor's degree in EMS Management. I have been a practicing Paramedic in different types of services (rural to urban). I am currently a Deputy Chief of EMS.

I have a great desire to go to Med school but I like the science classes. I have done some research on Post Bacc programs that give you the sciences you need for med school but logistically and financially due to family I can not do those programs. I can, however obtain the science courses needed at a nearby community college and some at a local university. Is this looked down upon?

Members don't see this ad.

I have the exact same background (besides being a deputy chief). I have heard both sides of the story, and I would normally recommend you do attend a 4 year college for postbacc work. However, plenty of people have done prereqs at a cc and went on to medical school. You should be fine.

Edit: Why not just do a DIY postbacc at the local university? You don't need to do a formal program.

Reactions: 1 user
If you started your associates at a 4-year, you should finish it at a 4 year. If you haven't yet touched 4-year, you would be fine doing it all at a cc.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have the exact same background (besides being a deputy chief). I have heard both sides of the story, and I would normally recommend you do attend a 4 year college for postbacc work. However, plenty of people have done prereqs at a cc and went on to medical school. You should be fine.

Edit: Why not just do a DIY postbacc at the local university? You don't need to do a formal program.

One university requires a number of credits to be completed in order to get into the sciences classes. They don't allow non degree seeking students to enter those classes. The other university near me allows me to take those classes but I get last pick, if a pick at all.

If you started your associates at a 4-year, you should finish it at a 4 year. If you haven't yet touched 4-year, you would be fine doing it all at a cc.

I completed by Bachelor's from George Washington

I assume that means 4 year, which means you need to do your prereqs at a four year. Similar to your situation, i get last pick of classes at my university because im non matriculated. I audit the class and subscribe to seat opening notifications and take a spot when it opens up in the first week while keeping up with the class readings and assignments as possible. I also try to maintain contact with the professor to let them know im trying to keep up with the class while getting in, and this helps a lot.

The only other option is to apply for a second degree / major and just not finish it, but both times i've tried to do this i was first told "you have too much to complete, we can't accommodate a student that already has a degree when we need to give priority to first-degree seeking students", and then a year later was told "you only have x classes left now, you don't have enough left to complete to justify applying here, do it somewhere else". So i've just been taking classes non-matric and been fine.

Someone always drops, and im always there ready.

One university requires a number of credits to be completed in order to get into the sciences classes. They don't allow non degree seeking students to enter those classes. The other university near me allows me to take those classes but I get last pick, if a pick at all.

So I was actually enrolled as a second degree seeking student, which I think took care of this issue. This allowed me to get financial aid and take the courses I needed.

As I mentioned before, 4 year colleges are best, but if you can't make it happen, you can get into medical school by doing prereqs at a community college. I personally know physicians who have done it, and I've seen plenty of stories on SDN where it's happened.

Welcome to the forum, what you have been told is quite accurate. The most important facet regardless of where you go is what you score. Try and keep your grades up ( I know I'm stating the obvious ). However, an A at a cc can not be disputed as easily as any grade <A. String some solid BCMP course scores together with a strong MCAT and with your previous medical exposures and experiences you will have a solid packet. My opinion of course.

There are some great stickies at the tops of the forums as well, take a look at those. Also, some very helpful info can be gathered from some adcoms on here @gyngyn

Take the classes at the CC, got a good MCAT score and you will be fine. There might be a couple of schools that frown upon CC classes, but the overwhelming majority are ok with them... I did take physics and and gen chem at a CC dated 10 years when I submitted my application; I went to 3 interviews (1 DO and 2 MD) there was not a school that even brought that up... I have a friend who took all of his prereq at a CC and he is attending a very good MD school in FL.