Comparing MSTP to MD at Top Research Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shirafune

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Now I haven't really my homework on this but...

How does the emphasis on research for top research oriented MD schools compare to MSTP? What are the "requirements" for these MD only programs? How big a part does substantial research experience play a part in your application for these schools?

Members don't see this ad.

Now I haven't really my homework on this but...

How does the emphasis on research for top research oriented MD schools compare to MSTP? What are the "requirements" for these MD only programs? How big a part does substantial research experience play a part in your application for these schools?

If the university is known for strong research, then you will be expected to have some type of research experience for the MD program as research and discovery will most definitely be apart of their mission as a medical school and research campus.

MSTP is no longer "some research experience" but substantial longitudinal research that has allowed you to confirm your desire to pursue a career in research/translational medicine (especially leading towards becoming a principal investigator).

I believe what sets it apart is that the additional interviews test to see how thorough your research experience was (what techniques were used, the theory behind those techniques, and the current state of the research you conducted) and to asses if you are you ready for PhD level research and commitment).

In my experience mentoring with the MSTP associate director at my school: an applicant with a year of solid research with maybe a poster behind it is quite solid for MD program. While the applicant with a 2-4 years of research who was able to present at conference, conduct their own research without post doc guidance, perhaps an authorship, and generally leads an aspect of the investigation will be a solid applicant for MSTP.

Hopefully one of the amazing MD PhDs on here can fill in the gaps and/or correct anything I may have misinterpreted.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
What at @AlteredScale said is correct. At the top schools, people who are accepted MSTP have experience in research for the majority of their undergraduate, and have experience with some form of independent research. They must be able to explain all aspects of the research project (like the hypothesis and what it was based on, methods to test it, what the data would look like and how it would be analyzed, etc). MD only applicants at research schools need research experience to be able to show that they know how to come up/test a hypothesis, because those schools are designed to produce academic physicians who do substantial clinical research during their career, but that's really all that's needed. You just have to show that you know how to do research for MD only but for MSTP you need to show substantial experience with all aspects of doing research.

Reactions: 1 user