comparison between path and radiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ernie

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
rads: shortage
path: oversupply

rads: work their balls off
path: dont work very hard

rads: new scans, studies and procedure being developed, lots of repeat scans, can essentially self-refer by recommending additional studies, business increasing exponentially
path: new stuff being developed especially in molecular which is CP and done by techs and will be hard to bill for and collect given governments view that CP is not the practice of medicine. Can self refer by ordering a bunch of immunos and flow. Business increasing proportionate to population growth.

rads: practices run by MDs
path: parctices run by warlord MDs and corportaions

rads: require patients to be present in their facility
path: does not require patients to be present

more likely to be outsourced to india....path

Members don't see this ad.

ernie said:
rads: shortage
path: oversupply

rads: work their balls off
path: dont work very hard

rads: new scans, studies and procedure being developed, lots of repeat scans, can essentially self-refer by recommending additional studies, business increasing exponentially
path: new stuff being developed especially in molecular which is CP and done by techs and will be hard to bill for and collect given governments view that CP is not the practice of medicine. Can self refer by ordering a bunch of immunos and flow. Business increasing proportionate to population growth.

rads: practices run by MDs
path: parctices run by warlord MDs and corportaions

rads: require patients to be present in their facility
path: does not require patients to be present

Rads is and will be FAR more suspectible to outsourcing. In fact part of path can never be outsourced (CP) because it is essentially managerial. AP cannot be outsourced anywhere close to the degree Rads can because the visual information per slide is so complex an information storage sys capable of the mega terabyte capacity required for even a small yearly surg path load hasnt even been invented! You would need image analysis software so complex to do field selection, you would have already cured every cancer by the time you built such an operation!! Ive seen the MIT AI people give their automated medicine talk and frankly the bubble will burst for rads very, very soon (like 10-20years). I would go gas over rads personally.

We are talking like 50-100 years+ for automated path and by that time robots will be doing surgery, so what the fook is your point?

Now you could mail your slides to India, have some random dude read with a 7-20 day delay, but then you would hanging your butt out in the most risky legal situation imaginable because now that patient material is not in the US but in a foriegn country, which currently I believe is illegal anyway. See you cant just beam an email with the path over to India like you can say an imaging study and have it be anything close to representative.

Members don't see this ad :)
troll0bw.jpg

ernie said:

really??

what a dumass.... :laugh: :laugh:

bananaface said:
Heh. That's like a ******* that left it's b behind. Apparently that b couldn't put up with him! :laugh:

I dont know....i like to say "dumass" than "*******"........

makes it sound less malignant i guess.....

like a jamaican accent thingy....

"oi mon, yo sochhh ah duumass"

i like to say it like that..... :laugh:

I really love jamaican and irish accents....

Funnily enough, I did the "which specialty are you suited for" quiz (UVirginia as far as I recall, but not sure).
It said #1 Radiology, #2 Path, so they might have more in common than I suspected.
Reality is that machines can't read either path slides or rads images. But (speaking as someone who does A LOT of molec research, I can pretty confidently say, that automated DNA markers for path slides is a very long way away. Yes, there's a fair amount of succes in pap smears and heme, but when you're talking solid tumors, the results thus far are simply appalling. Also, while rads have gone a long way towards digitizing, anyone who has ever tried telepath can tell you that it's a quick and dirty procedure at best. So I don't see much risk in pathologists being made redundant by machines or off-shoring. Don't know enough about rads to have an opinion.
That being said, it's certainly plausible that the medical profession in general at some point will have to address the issue of the rapid growth in costs. As the population ages, that will only get worse, and it can certainly be feared that the problem of funding medical costs can be dealt with heavy-handedly by politicians. Will it happen? Don't know. Can it happen? Yes. Will it affect path or rads the most? Probably both...

PathOne said:
Funnily enough, I did the "which specialty are you suited for" quiz (UVirginia as far as I recall, but not sure).
It said #1 Radiology, #2 Path, so they might have more in common than I suspected.

I hope that quiz isn't very accurate - when I took it it said #1 peds, #2 psych. These are the two specialties that all through med school I have known with absolute certainty that I did not want to do. :laugh:

beary said:
I hope that quiz isn't very accurate - when I took it it said #1 peds, #2 psych. These are the two specialties that all through med school I have known with absolute certainty that I did not want to do. :laugh:
i dunno...perhaps you should do a transitional year and make an informed decision. :laugh: