Competitive applicant after HPSP service

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mmdental

Reaction score
Hi! I am currently a D2 in dental school on the HPSP scholarship. I would like to specialize in oral surgery, and I know I have several options. However, if I chose to serve my four years as a general dentist in the dental corps and then decided to pursue oral surgery residency as a civilian, how competitive would I be? Would I need new CBSE scores or do they not expire after a couple of years? Or should I do my residency right after dental school and then owe back my years in dental school and residency? I would greatly appreciate any comments! Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

What branch? In almost every case you’ll be more competitive coming right out of school or shortly thereafter (ie if you don’t get in right away then 1yr AEGD hitting OMS as much as possible then for a good recommendation). If you just do exams and amalgams for 4 years you’ll need an absolutely stellar CBSE score to be competitive in the civilian world.

What branch? In almost every case you’ll be more competitive coming right out of school or shortly thereafter (ie if you don’t get in right away then 1yr AEGD hitting OMS as much as possible then for a good recommendation). If you just do exams and amalgams for 4 years you’ll need an absolutely stellar CBSE score to be competitive in the civilian world.
I am in the Navy. If you are in the Navy as well, did you go through FTIS or FTOS? Thank you again for your response!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! I am currently a D2 in dental school on the HPSP scholarship. I would like to specialize in oral surgery, and I know I have several options. However, if I chose to serve my four years as a general dentist in the dental corps and then decided to pursue oral surgery residency as a civilian, how competitive would I be? Would I need new CBSE scores or do they not expire after a couple of years? Or should I do my residency right after dental school and then owe back my years in dental school and residency? I would greatly appreciate any comments! Thank you.
Civilian programs like applicants that are straight out of school because their medical knowledge is more fresh. A CBSE score four years ago won't be that appealing unless it's in the 80-90s. You might also have to do an internship program before applying to boost your chances. Best bet is joining the military oral surgery program.

I've thought about your scenario as well. While specializing in the military would mean you're delaying your payback and remaining in the military longer, I think you'd have the greatest chance of acceptance to a program that way. Military OMFS programs are world class. You just have to accept the mil life for it

You just have to accept the mil life for it
R.gif

Big Hoss