Complicated Situation(s)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

So I am finishing my applications for MD/DO. My senior year in undergrad I was accused of theft and stalking through the school's complaint system. I was barred from campus during the process but was still able to complete coursework

Question #1: does this count as institutional action and/or a suspension?

The accusations were dropped, no "guilty/not guilty" due to me agreeing not to attend graduation and have a meeting with the accusers. After the accusations were dropped, I was considered to be in good standing with the university.

Question #2: how bad will this look to admission committees?

Question #3: how would be the best way to explain this?

Question #4: I am planning on saying on the applications that I have been the recipient of institutional action (though not due to being found "guilty), is that a good idea?

Also, back in 2010 I enlisted in the Navy and was separated during Basic Training (Entry Level Separation, which is not considered to be Honorable/Dishonorable, it is basically like we didn't know him enough to give him either designation). I suffered a deep depression during Basic, that was labelled as an erroneous enlistment. I have bounced back strongly from that, and am in a much better place mentally and ready to take on the stress of med school.

Question #5: how bad will this look to admission committees?

Question #6: how would be the best way to explain this?

Other than that I got really good grades for my first degree and for the pre-reqs (3.86 cGPA, 3.8 sGPA), and strong letters of recommendation and extracurricular/work/volunteer experiences. I will be taking the MCAT June 30th and have been studying hard for it and feel that I will do well (but we'll see). I'm nervous as hell for the issues mentioned previously.

Any input/advice would be hugely appreciated, and thank you so much for your time in reading this.

Members don't see this ad.

I am no expert, but your first situation sounds like an institutional action because action was taken. However, I’m not certain of the exact nuances or requirements. Regardless these are all giant red flags, and if you’re going to be successful you need a good amount of time and maturity between you and these events.

Reactions: 1 user
I am no expert, but your first situation sounds like an institutional action because action was taken. However, I’m not certain of the exact nuances or requirements. Regardless these are all giant red flags, and if you’re going to be successful you need a good amount of time and maturity between you and these events.

I figured they would be big red flags. It's been 8 years since the military, and 3 years since the school. I've definitely matured, and had a lot of good growing experiences since then. All my reference writers know that I am a trustworthy individual. Thank you for your reply.

Members don't see this ad :)
I figured they would be big red flags. It's been 8 years since the military, and 3 years since the school. I've definitely matured, and had a lot of good growing experiences since then. All my reference writers know that I am a trustworthy individual. Thank you for your reply.

I had a classmate who similarly didn't know if they had had an IA or not. They called the school, who pulled her file and let her know there was no IA. Just call whatever university this happened at and ask them to do the same with your file. If there was an IA it will be there. That's the only way to get a definitive answer.

This sounds complicated. You were accused of something, and an action was taken. Were you barred from campus after a trial? Or was this a summary action taken because an accusation was made?

The fact that the charges were dropped imply that there is/was no IA and therefore doesn't have to be reported.

I'm not understanding your Navy situation. Were you discharged in any way? Perhaps some veterans can help shed light?
@Gastrapathy ?
@Matthew9Thirtyfive?
@sb247 ?

Reactions: 1 users
Also, back in 2010 I enlisted in the Navy and was separated during Basic Training (Entry Level Separation, which is not considered to be Honorable/Dishonorable, it is basically like we didn't know him enough to give him either designation). I suffered a deep depression during Basic, that was labelled as an erroneous enlistment. I have bounced back strongly from that, and am in a much better place mentally and ready to take on the stress of med school.

So I'm guessing you were in for less than 180 days and given an uncharacterized discharge. So, you will answer yes to military service, select "other" instead of veteran and say that you were given an entry-level separation since you technically don't qualify for veterans benefits and are not a veteran, and then click no for GI Bill eligibility. Under discharge, it will ask you if you received a discharge under honorable conditions or an honorable discharge. Check no, and then explain that you were given an entry-level separation during boot camp, how many days you served, and why.

Reactions: 2 users
So I'm guessing you were in for less than 180 days and given an uncharacterized discharge. So, you will answer yes to military service, select "other" instead of veteran and say that you were given an entry-level separation since you technically don't qualify for veterans benefits and are not a veteran, and then click no for GI Bill eligibility. Under discharge, it will ask you if you received a discharge under honorable conditions or an honorable discharge. Check no, and then explain that you were given an entry-level separation during boot camp, how many days you served, and why.

Yes I was in for 3 weeks. And thank you for the advice, that is how I put it in the application. I just wonder what effect it will have on admission committees.

I agree with matthew935 on the military stuff

I would ask my institution if the other deal was an IA. If they say no I wouldn’t mention it as I was never “convicted” of anything

Reactions: 1 users
Yes I was in for 3 weeks. And thank you for the advice, that is how I put it in the application. I just wonder what effect it will have on admission committees.

If you described it like that and made sure to include how you’ve recovered (and especially if you have the recent grades to prove it), I doubt it’ll make any difference.

I agree with matthew935 on the military stuff

I would ask my institution if the other deal was an IA. If they say no I wouldn’t mention it as I was never “convicted” of anything

Thank you sb247.

If you described it like that and made sure to include how you’ve recovered (and especially if you have the recent grades to prove it), I doubt it’ll make any difference.

I will, and I do have the grades to show that I'm able and stronger. Thank you again for your help Matthew9Thirtyfive.