Conduct Violation After Acceptance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gts102

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I searched this but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for so hopefully you can give me some advice.

I have been lucky enough to be accepted to several medical school this cycle and will be matriculating in the Fall. I currently live and work as an RA in a dry dorm on my campus and last night I was caught at a party with some of my friends. Even though I am over 21 and was not drinking myself, we have a rule that anyone "in the presence of" alcohol gets a conduct violation. I met with our residence director this morning and she said that I have been removed from my RA position and will be going through the conduct process but none of this will show up on my transcript or be passed along to medical schools.

In this situation am I obligated to inform the schools I have been accepted to? The way I see it, it's a residential violation more than anything since if I had been anywhere else except the dorm, I wouldn't have been doing anything wrong. I feel like I should also note that I have a spotless conduct record (I've been an RA for 3 years).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I don't think you have to report it to medical schools unless it's a criminal case involving police and the courts. I think @Goro could answer this best.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I searched this but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for so hopefully you can give me some advice.

I have been lucky enough to be accepted to several medical school this cycle and will be matriculating in the Fall. I currently live and work as an RA in a dry dorm on my campus and last night I was caught at a party with some of my friends. Even though I am over 21 and was not drinking myself, we have a rule that anyone "in the presence of" alcohol gets a conduct violation. I met with our residence director this morning and she said that I have been removed from my RA position and will be going through the conduct process but none of this will show up on my transcript or be passed along to medical schools.

In this situation am I obligated to inform the schools I have been accepted to? The way I see it, it's a residential violation more than anything since if I had been anywhere else except the dorm, I wouldn't have been doing anything wrong. I feel like I should also note that I have a spotless conduct record (I've been an RA for 3 years).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

My advice: Enjoy yourself when you are at a party amongst friends and alcohol. That is a time-tested formula for good times.

Reactions: 1 user
It will depend upon the wording in the apps. If they specifically only ask for arrests and or convictions, then you're fine. However, some apps ask for ALL IAs, and this you'll have to be honest about.

I don't think you have to report it to medical schools unless it's a criminal case involving police and the courts. I think @Goro could answer this best.

Reactions: 2 users
you're over 21 and you were at a dorm room party?

dude, come on.

Last edited:
Reactions: 16 users
How far are you from graduation? The smart thing would be to delay the process to make your IA official. If you manage to graduate before the process is complete, you technically don't have an IA and could simply ignore listing it.

If a school specifies that you must report all IAs, then you must report this. On the other hand, I think that most adcoms will have the same reaction as Oso -- this is no big deal and the problem is really with the school's unreasonable rules rather than the student's behavior.

Reactions: 3 users
you're over 21 and you were at a dorm room party?

dude, come on.
You don't quite understand the process of picking up girls in college, do you?

Reactions: 4 users
If a school specifies that you must report all IAs, then you must report this. On the other hand, I think that most adcoms will have the same reaction as Oso -- this is no big deal and the problem is really with the school's unreasonable rules rather than the student's behavior.

Where would a school list whether they want me to report all IAs? I have checked my acceptance packet and the accepted student website but I don't see anything about it.

Where would a school list whether they want me to report all IAs? I have checked my acceptance packet and the accepted student website but I don't see anything about it.
Is there anything in the secondary that asks about IAs and also notes that if anything happens going forward you need to report it?
I having memorize the AMCAS application instructions but I do recall that they note that convictions and plea agreements need to be reported within x days; I don't recall if there is a similar requirement for IAs but you should check the AMCAS instructions yourself.

I would expect an offer letter to also reiterate any conditions such as reporting of IAs and if that isn't in the packet you may be safe to conclude that you are home free.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, I just checked AMCAS and it does say that if that if you are the subject of IA, you must report to the medical schools within 10 days (thanks for the help LizzyM!). One more question - do you think that is 10 days from the incident itself or 10 days from the time that they determine what I am actually in trouble for/my sanction (ie fine, class, whatever)?

This is why dry campuses are the dumbest thing

Dear medical school,

I thought I should tell you that last night I was not drinking. Also, I'm 21.

Sincerely,
gts102

Reactions: 6 users
You were dumb to party as an RA.... In a dorm room. RA should be setting an example - tsk tsk. I wouldn't report if possible if I were you.

Don't you have any where else to party than in a dorm room? :0

Should've baked brownies for those people, they may have let you off easier.

If you don't stop posting in every single thread, I am going to eat you. This is not a joke.

Reactions: 5 users
What I don't understand is your question.

Are you saying I should go to freshman dorms to pick up girls?
I'm saying that if you are 21 then that's reasonable to do.

Just because you can't pick up girls at the bar doesn't mean other people can't
I think you should take advantage of all your options, but I understand if the best you can get is a bar girl.

I'm saying that if you are 21 then that's reasonable to do.

But the OP is older than 21. The OP is about to graduate college and will begin medical school in a few months. In my view, for someone that 'old' to go pick up freshmen at a dorm party is pretty weird. But hey, to each his own.

Also, the OP is female, so like, there's not an ounce of relevance in our discussion. Peace.

But the OP is older than 21. The OP is about to graduate college and will begin medical school in a few months. In my view, for someone that 'old' to go pick up freshmen at a dorm party is pretty weird. But hey, to each his own.

Also, the OP is female, so like, there's not an ounce of relevance in our discussion. Peace.

Women can't seek romantic partners?? What planet are you from? It is weird to be interested in someone 3 years younger (or less if the freshman is non-trad)? And do you automatically assume that OP is heterosexual?

Reactions: 5 users
Women can't seek romantic partners?? What planet are you from? It is weird to be interested in someone 3 years younger (or less if the freshman is non-trad)? And do you automatically assume that OP is heterosexual?

I did mistakenly assume that the OP was heterosexual, and I apologize very deeply for that. And of course I believe women can seek other female romantic partners. I guess the phrase "picking up girls" is something I associate with heterosexual males on the prowl for sex., which is the perspective I had as I typed my comment. But you are correct in calling me out for assuming too many things. I type these things with the n=1 perspective of my university, so I recognize the inherent flaws and will work on correcting these assumptions.

And I don't think a romantic relationship between partners with a 3 age difference is strange at all (one of my parents is four years older than my other parent). I'm responding to the thought of "picking up girls" (again, which I associate with simply looking for a sexual partner), and I guess I view a senior in college looking to "pick up" a freshman as an attempt to take advantage of a younger, often less experienced, student (again, using these terms as they were used at my university). I apologize for my hurried and unthoughtful response, and I thank you LizzyM for calling me out.

The real question is if you are over 21, why in the world are you throwing a dorm party? Most people I know go to the bars.

Coincidentally, I actually am a gay girl.

And maybe "party" was the wrong word. It was a small group of friends hanging out, by no means a rager or anything, but I guess it got loud enough to bleed through the paper thin walls and one of the other RAs came knocking. (ETA: Not that it matters, but it's also an upperclassmen dorm so most of the residents are seniors themselves.) Yeah, it was dumb, but it's over now so I'm just trying to figure out how this will affect my future (if at all). Thanks for all the responses.

Reactions: 3 users

oooooh a coug. nice.

Coincidentally, I actually am a gay girl.

And maybe "party" was the wrong word. It was a small group of friends hanging out, by no means a rager or anything, but I guess it got loud enough to bleed through the paper thin walls and one of the other RAs came knocking. Yeah, it was dumb, but it's over now so I'm just trying to figure out how this will affect my future (if at all). Thanks for all the responses.

Like others have said, I do not think it will be a big deal. Just be honest and you should be fine.

The real question is if you are over 21, why in the world are you throwing a dorm party? Most people I know go to the bars.
My school had exactly 1 bar in range of campus, and the bartender could be a little...sketch. If you just wanted to see seniors, it was fine, but if you had ANY other friends at all you typically started the night off in the dorms and ended the night with your classmates at the crowded, annoying bar.

You can party way harder not at a bar...personally, I don't see any reason to go to a bar, ever, especially now that I'm out of college and most bars are driving-distance for at least one of your friends.

If you don't stop posting in every single thread, I am going to eat you. This is not a joke.
images

?

Older than 21 is vague, but realistically, if you're in college and within 5 years of each other, I don't see the big deal. At my age now it would be weird, but back when I was 22? Of course I would have dated an 18 year old freshman. Never heard of half your age plus seven?

You don't quite understand the process of picking up girls in college, do you?
I'm loving the sheer amount of unashamed creep in this post. Carry on fellow cradle-robber. I'll meet you at the college bars on match day. :cigar:

What if someone got for instance a DUI while in med school... Will they kick that person out? I thought everyone was safe after submitting the background check...

I am going to the school where I plan to matriculate for second look this weekend and my parents recommended trying to meet with someone in person to discuss this, along with a couple other general questions (which honestly would put me at ease too, rather than waiting and sending out an email post conduct hearing). I would appreciate the chance to explain the circumstances and let the school know that they are my top choice - I was waiting to hear on financial aid before this happened and now am scared of withdrawing in case I am rejected because of this.

Would a meeting like this be ok? Or would I come off as annoying? I am definitely your stereotypical neurotic premed.

Thanks again guys. :)