confused about terms

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shahlalalji

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am a 3rd tyr thinkin abt neuro, would appreciate some assistance with clarifying terms:

1. Whats the difference between transitional year, and prelim and categorical... i hear these words tossed around but can't make out which is which:

if a program offers u a spot automatically for intern year (i.e. u do not hv to interview at their internal medicine program is that a categorical, prelim, ??

if a program doe not guarantee anything etc...

2. I know lotsa neuro folks are into research, but i dont like research too much and prefer clinical... are there programs i should definitely avoid, programs i shoukld shoot for?

will appreciate yr help

thanks
lalji

Members don't see this ad.

Categorical means your prelim or transitional year is guaranteed, so you don't need to apply separately for your first year. Prelim and transitional are both your first year, but prelim has more internal medicine while transitional programs are a bigger mix of things and typicallly considered to be easier, especially if you really don't like Int. Medicine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Categorical means your prelim or transitional year is guaranteed, so you don't need to apply separately for your first year. Prelim and transitional are both your first year, but prelim has more internal medicine while transitional programs are a bigger mix of things and typicallly considered to be easier, especially if you really don't like Int. Medicine.

From all the neuro residencies in the US, Is there an easily acessible list of categorical programs,? and/or prelim transitional programs? Could someone post that list if they have it
thx

From all the neuro residencies in the US, Is there an easily acessible list of categorical programs,? and/or prelim transitional programs? Could someone post that list if they have it
thx
I know you can use frieda and use programs with preliminary position only on the filters to access the list of spots per state