Confused Foreign qualified optometrists options in the U.S

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jemimah

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am very confused about wher to start and your input will be highly appreciated. I am a southafrican qualified optometrist basically i have qualified with a 4 year bachelor is science degree.
I have recently moved to the united states permanently and will love to know what my options are?
Ive been doing some searching and i know for sure to be able to practice in the u.s i will need lincensure. But what are my options? Can i do optometry assistance as i study towards getn my lincensure? And whats the way forward for me? Will i need to enroll in another 4 year of optometry school to get the lincencure? Will i need to take the OAT test? So confused

Members don't see this ad.

Jeremiah,

There is very little that you can do as an independent practitioner in any of the 50 states with just your South African registration. Here are some options:

(1) Ophthalmology office as a refracting ophthalmic technician
(2) Ophthalmology residency program as a refracting ophtahlmic technician
(3) Advanced standing of 1+ year in a US optometry program
(4) Industry position in lenses (e.g. Essilor, Hoya, etc) where US registration as an optometrist is not required. You might get paid less, though.

(5) Apply to Optometry Schools with a new application and OAT for normal admissions for a 4 year program.

I must say, South Africa is a beautiful country. I lived in the western cape for a bit.

Members don't see this ad :)
That will be starting all over again, and i have seen the fees at the optometry schools, frankly will not be able to afford it, with no job.But thatnks a lot.

H
That will be starting all over again, and i have seen the fees at the optometry schools, frankly will not be able to afford it, with no job.But thatnks a lot.

Hiiii just saw your forum now. Have you gotten help yet,maybe you could help me. I am an Optometrist from Nigeria and I just settled in the US. Really want to practice Optometry here. I wrote the California Optometry law exam 3months ago but I havnt heard from the board yet. Really confused. Don't know the next step to take.

H

Hiiii just saw your forum now. Have you gotten help yet,maybe you could help me. I am an Optometrist from Nigeria and I just settled in the US. Really want to practice Optometry here. I wrote the California Optometry law exam 3months ago but I havnt heard from the board yet. Really confused. Don't know the next step to take.

You need to start with the National Boards. There are several parts. All states require passing all parts. But be advised, I don't believe any foreign graduate has ever passed the National boards. They are made purposely tough, especially the optics portion. U.S. Students have over a year of optics. We really don't need to be able to design complex telescopes...only pass part 1 of the boards. I am sorry.