Confused on What to Do

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

onestepatatime123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! So I'm an out of state 1st-year student attending University of Washington - Seattle. Pre-med & majoring in Speech and Hearing Sciences.

I want to work in the ER at one point, but I decided to make speech pathology my back up career.

Last quarter, I took Chem 142 (first of chem series), English, and a debate class (13 units). Got a 3.65 that quarter.
This quarter, I'm taking Chem 152 (second of chem series), Math 124 (first of math series), an Educational Psychology class, and a Dinosaur class (17 units).

I did not do well at all with my math midterm, and I was wondering how bad a Withdrawl or a Pass/No Pass would look on my transcript to med schools especially since it's a math class. I'm planning on taking an easier math series here if I do decide to Withdraw.

I've been just so caught up with handling the workload along with writing for a newspaper, editing for this undergrad journal, and looking for internships. I know I need to work harder next quarter, and I'm trying my best to end this quarter on a strong note. I'm just not a math person at all :'(

On a side note, what do most people do if they do not get into a med school? That's what's scaring me the most right now about med schools. I don't want to be stuck in limbo with heavy student loans if I do not get into a med school.

Members don't see this ad.

One or two W is fine, just don't make it a habit. Let yourself adjust to the workload of college courses before trying to flesh out your ECs.

People who do not go into medical school go on to do hundreds of different things, it just depends on what you want out of life.

One or two W is fine, just don't make it a habit. Let yourself adjust to the workload of college courses before trying to flesh out your ECs.

People who do not go into medical school go on to do hundreds of different things, it just depends on what you want out of life.
Do you happen to know which schools count a P/NP as a 0.0 when determining the gpa? I'm really worried about that and my counselor just told me about that :(

And I also know that some people go into research if they do not get in? How does that work? Is that a steady income cause I know paying off student loans is a doozy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you happen to know which schools count a P/NP as a 0.0 when determining the gpa? I'm really worried about that and my counselor just told me about that :(

And I also know that some people go into research if they do not get in? How does that work? Is that a steady income cause I know paying off student loans is a doozy.

I don't, that's something you'll have to look up yourself based on which schools you're interested applying to.

Some people do go into research if they do not get in. What do you mean how does that work? Like how does one go into research? Get involved during undergrad, either find an entry level position upon graduation (depending on your major) or go to grad school for it.

If you're applying to MD programs, your GPA is determined by AMCAS. If you take a class Pass/Fail, your grade (whether it's pass or fail) isn't included in your GPA calculation. Instead, they add up the total number of credit hours that you took P/F and report that to schools. The same goes for W's - they don't affect your GPA but schools will be able to see how many you have.

EDIT: Here's the AMCAS instruction manual for more info: https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...6a2-49cefdb39bc9/amcas_instruction_manual.pdf