confused-please help with study time vs. EC decision

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Saradoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
here's my decision/situation:
im about to start my second year of postbac at columbia, will be taking orgo,bio, bio lab in fall. ECs so far include 1 year addiction clinic, 1/2 year work with plastic surgeon, some research, etc
-offered a research assistant position in a peds ER, 6 hours per week plus 1 hour commute each way. good doctor contact/opportunity for clinical exposure and later letter of rec.
-could volunteer at nearby hospital instead, in ER. would be standard ER volunteer work, a few hours a week, not much clinical exposure.
-will start mcat review course in september or october for april 2007 test.
-might do postbac linkage to NYMC, if not will take year off/postbac "glide" year and do full time research/clinical work.
-sooo should i turn down the research assistant position and focus on grades and mcats? my gpa right now is in the middle zone, and i have nooo idea how i'll do on the mcat as of now. should i leave as much time in my week as possible for studying, or should i go for the research job?
thanks!
-sara

Members don't see this ad.

I got bored halfway through... basically, do what you need to do to do well in class and on the MCAT, then depending on how much time you are willing to put into the ECs pick the best one for you.