Confused Undergrad Student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SmileyBaaj

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I'm a new SDN member so forgive me if this has already been answered or if I am posting this in the wrong place.

I am 21 y/o and set to graduate from George Mason with a degree in Global and Community Health. I was set to have a concentration in Clinical Science but, if I complete that concentration then I have to stay at GMU for at least another semester or two. I have a low GPA and have not taken the MCAT yet. I have taken most my prereqs except for the second half of Gen Chem and Physics and both parts of Orgo Chem. My plan was to apply to post bacc programs to boost my GPA and prep me for the MCAT. However, most post bacc programs I have looked into require gen chem, physics, orgo chem, and a MCAT score.

I guess my question is should I stay at GMU and complete my prereqs in my undergrad or is there another option? If I complete my prereqs at GMU and get an 'A' in all of them then I should end with a 3.2 - 3.3, I know this is still on the lower end.

I have been volunteering as an EMTB at my local fire station for over 2 years now. This year I was elected to be the Treasurer of our Department. I also work at a Home Health Care company for over 3-4 years. I am actively looking to get a job as a medical scribe or clinical tech at INOVA.

My advisor at George Mason is not that helpful in telling me what route to take and I have no one in my circle that has much experience with applying to post baccs or med schools. I understand that I have a loonng way to go but any advice would be helpful. I know my stats are very low but I know I will make to DO school.

Members don't see this ad.

As far as I know you have to take those classes in undergrad, and from the looks of it you definitely need to ace them. You wont need a post-bacc if you ace your pre-reqs, apply DO and get an OK MCAT score. If you don't ace your pre-reqs, you will still need to take the MCAT in order to get into most post-bacc/masters programs at med schools.

Reactions: 1 user