Confusion about post-grad masters programs for med school acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drdan83

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I bombed college my first time around. I am going back to school to finish my degree and my pre-req's. I calculated that by the time I graduate in two years and assuming I get very good grades, I will still have a less-than-competitive gpa.

I have a list of schools that I feel would still consider my application. For someone in my situation is it almost necessary to apply to some type of a masters program?

Instead of applying in two years should my goal immediately be to just apply to a masters program to demonstrate that I am capable of handling upper level science coursework?

My cousin is a med student and he told me that he knows a lot of older students who get in simply with the pre-req's only.

A masters program will cost me at least one more year and a minimum of $30000. If it helps me out immensely then I would like to do it. Do you think someone like me has to, by default, enter one of these programs because of my poor grades from six years ago?

Members don't see this ad.