Masters degree in music

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Henry123

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I’m a student studying music in college, but I’ve completed all my pre reqs and have solid extracurriculars, etc. I’m all set to apply to medical school. However, I would also like to complete a two-year master’s degree in music performance before I apply to medical school, just so that I can get as good at music as I possibly can in life even though I do not plan on pursuing music as a profession—I still want to be a doctor. I plan on applying to medical school in the second year of my masters program.Will this look bad to medical schools? What can I do during my masters program to mitigate negative effects the masters degree will have on my med school application, and what could I do to boost my medical school application?

Thank you all.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think think it'll look bad nor good. They just won't care maybe.
If even having a STEM phD isn't reputed to be that relevent for med school apps (based on what I've read on here), I don't think anything else they will bat an eyelash towards.

Just make sure your medical related application is nice.

My master's degree is in Russian (which I was absolutely planning to pursue as a career), so I have experience applying without degrees in science. I think it is a huge advantage going to med school a bit later and with other experiences under your belt. It makes you a better student and a better doctor.

BUT, doing a master's degree also means taking on an additional debt burden. I don't regret my degree at all, but knowing now that I will never use it as I had initially intended, I feel silly for taking on extra debt.

Does it have to be a master's degree? Why not work for two years (teaching music?) while taking lessons on the side? Audition for your local community symphony orchestra? Or something like that? Only you know whether it's worth it or not, but I seriously recommend considering the debt factor.

Having something interesting like music in your background will help your application, but no matter what you do, make sure you stay current in medicine while you're doing it. You'll be asked at some point to justify why it's medicine and not music (and a whole master's degree in something you don't plan to pursue is frivolous, so be prepared to defend your decision), so the best thing you can do for yourself is stay involved in medicine. Become an EMT and volunteer for your local ambulance corps. Volunteer at your local ED. Become a phlebotomist and do that on the side. Anything to keep yourself in the medical field so that the question answers itself when you're asked.

Good luck, whatever you choose! And don't think I'm being a naysayer: if you want a master's in music, then do it! But do consider whether it's really going to be good for you in the long run. Student debt is no joke.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone,

I’m a student studying music in college, but I’ve completed all my pre reqs and have solid extracurriculars, etc. I’m all set to apply to medical school. However, I would also like to complete a two-year master’s degree in music performance before I apply to medical school, just so that I can get as good at music as I possibly can in life even though I do not plan on pursuing music as a profession—I still want to be a doctor. I plan on applying to medical school in the second year of my masters program.Will this look bad to medical schools? What can I do during my masters program to mitigate negative effects the masters degree will have on my med school application, and what could I do to boost my medical school application?

Thank you all.
My school has found that music majors make great students. Getting the mS prior to applying is fine; it won't hurt.

I do suggest that you maintain ECs while getting your MS, though. A blank period of two years where you're not getting clinical exposure, nor helping others less fortunate than yourself, will not look good. Make sure to get off campus and out of your comfort zone.

A few thoughts from a working musician turned MD:

1) only do the MM if you can get it comped. The additional debt is one reason, but the other is that most conservatories will lavish the best opportunities on the best students. Those tend to be the ones there on merit scholarships. The rest are basically tuition fodder to fund a beautiful experience for their classmates.

2) there are better ways to get good at your applied instrument without a degree program. In most accredited schools, you get 1 lesson per week, some classes, a couple ensembles, and hopefully good performance opportunities. You could easily pay for 3 lessons per week, take online classes, and arrange your own ensemble and performance opportunities for a tiny fraction of the cost. I’m a much older and advanced artist now, but that’s basically what I do even today - self study. And I keep growing as a musician every day.

3) if you’re not advanced enough for a full ride MM, then I’d say just go to med school and take lessons on the side. There’s plenty of time to do so if you’re diligent. When I was in Med school, I continued to study, took multiple professional gigs in the region, had a paid church position, founded a student chorale, conducted a choir and orchestra, etc. Residency was tougher but still did some solo concert work with symphonies and even an opera role during a well timed research block. Your musical growth definitely doesn’t have to stop when your start med school.

Reactions: 4 users
My master's degree is in Russian (which I was absolutely planning to pursue as a career), so I have experience applying without degrees in science. I think it is a huge advantage going to med school a bit later and with other experiences under your belt. It makes you a better student and a better doctor.

BUT, doing a master's degree also means taking on an additional debt burden. I don't regret my degree at all, but knowing now that I will never use it as I had initially intended, I feel silly for taking on extra debt.

Does it have to be a master's degree? Why not work for two years (teaching music?) while taking lessons on the side? Audition for your local community symphony orchestra? Or something like that? Only you know whether it's worth it or not, but I seriously recommend considering the debt factor.

Having something interesting like music in your background will help your application, but no matter what you do, make sure you stay current in medicine while you're doing it. You'll be asked at some point to justify why it's medicine and not music (and a whole master's degree in something you don't plan to pursue is frivolous, so be prepared to defend your decision), so the best thing you can do for yourself is stay involved in medicine. Become an EMT and volunteer for your local ambulance corps. Volunteer at your local ED. Become a phlebotomist and do that on the side. Anything to keep yourself in the medical field so that the question answers itself when you're asked.

Good luck, whatever you choose! And don't think I'm being a naysayer: if you want a master's in music, then do it! But do consider whether it's really going to be good for you in the long run. Student debt is no joke.
Hey, I'm not sure if you are still on SDN, but would you mind if i ask you a few questions? I'm curious how did you start your journey!

A few thoughts from a working musician turned MD:

1) only do the MM if you can get it comped. The additional debt is one reason, but the other is that most conservatories will lavish the best opportunities on the best students. Those tend to be the ones there on merit scholarships. The rest are basically tuition fodder to fund a beautiful experience for their classmates.

2) there are better ways to get good at your applied instrument without a degree program. In most accredited schools, you get 1 lesson per week, some classes, a couple ensembles, and hopefully good performance opportunities. You could easily pay for 3 lessons per week, take online classes, and arrange your own ensemble and performance opportunities for a tiny fraction of the cost. I’m a much older and advanced artist now, but that’s basically what I do even today - self study. And I keep growing as a musician every day.

3) if you’re not advanced enough for a full ride MM, then I’d say just go to med school and take lessons on the side. There’s plenty of time to do so if you’re diligent. When I was in Med school, I continued to study, took multiple professional gigs in the region, had a paid church position, founded a student chorale, conducted a choir and orchestra, etc. Residency was tougher but still did some solo concert work with symphonies and even an opera role during a well timed research block. Your musical growth definitely doesn’t have to stop when your start med school.
Would you mind going into some detail about how you balanced medicine and your outside music activities?

As a music major; I agree with what has been said above…. It’s not worth it to get the MM. Unless you want a career teaching music at an academic institution… most successful performing musicians I know never even went to music school, or dropped out to gig full-time (I was Jazz Studies Saxophone Performance, some of my friends dropped out and are now successfully touring around the world and recording daily). Getting “degrees” in music only gives you a pedigree for which to apply to academic teaching positions. Even then, your “pedigree” is really dependent on where you went and who you studied with. IMO most music degrees aren’t worth much for a career in performance, outside of your Bachelors. Experience is the best teacher. Keep playing and loving music, that’s what it’s all about. Don’t chase “being the best.” Go towards your dream and, respectfully as I can say this, don’t waste your time and money on another music degree.

Reactions: 1 users
Would you mind going into some detail about how you balanced medicine and your outside music activities?
Sure!

Broadly speaking, you have time in Medicine to do a lot outside of it, but you do have to be deliberate about it in a way that you may not be used to. For me that meant carefully scheduling practice time and gigs to fit my other obligations and ensure I had adequate time for everything.

Through med school, I got a church gig right off the bat for some extra income. I also got involved with the local university music department and would do recitals and other little things. As I got known locally, started getting hired by the symphony and other local groups for solo work. Opera itself wasn’t easy to do given the rehearsal time, but concert gigs are much less time. The only full opera role i did in training was during a long research block that timed out well. Residency in general followed a similar pattern- church gig, leading to other local gigs.

During M2 I started a medical student chorale as we had a number of singers in our classes. That was another fun outlet and we would perform a couple times a year.

They key for all was carving out the specific hours for musical activities. For me that was Wednesday evening and Sunday morning every week, Tuesday pm for one hour for chorale, and then occasional other evening rehearsals as they came up. If I had 2-3 hours of extra evening rehearsal during the week, then I’d be sure to make up that study time on the weekend, maybe get up early Saturday and get some extra hours in. You can’t just blow off the hours without paying a price, but it’s easy enough to make up the time elsewhere, at least to a point.

I could see a challenge if you’re an instrumentalist and not very advanced. It would be very difficult to put in the hours of practice necessary to really advance. Thankfully I was already pretty advanced so it was more about maintaining, and for the singing part you can only really practice for a limited time period without tiring the voice out.

Now as an attending, I found a great church gig though now I donate money rather than draw a salary from them. I arranged my schedule so I’m done around 1-2pm every day so there’s plenty of time for practice. I’ve also gotten involved in the local theater scene. And just the other day got my first sniff from the local symphony about a nice little solo gig. I’ve also found a fabulous local teacher and a local coach that I work with frequently to polish things back up and stay on top of the game. So nowadays I’m able to sing and play piano daily, do a couple nice roles in local theater, likely start doing something annually with the symphony, and probably something with the opera here too - they’ve also reached out. So all in all probably 3-5 good gigs per year which is about the max I’d like to do so I still have time to do all the other things I like to do.

For me it’s been staying sharp as a performer so I’m viable to get hired for these things. And then also arranging my schedule so I have time to do both well. It does mean I probably sacrifice some salary as I could surely work later and make more money, but I’m already passing 90th percentile working 35h a week most weeks, and that’s enough for me.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Sure!

Broadly speaking, you have time in Medicine to do a lot outside of it, but you do have to be deliberate about it in a way that you may not be used to. For me that meant carefully scheduling practice time and gigs to fit my other obligations and ensure I had adequate time for everything.

Through med school, I got a church gig right off the bat for some extra income. I also got involved with the local university music department and would do recitals and other little things. As I got known locally, started getting hired by the symphony and other local groups for solo work. Opera itself wasn’t easy to do given the rehearsal time, but concert gigs are much less time. The only full opera role i did in training was during a long research block that timed out well. Residency in general followed a similar pattern- church gig, leading to other local gigs.

During M2 I started a medical student chorale as we had a number of singers in our classes. That was another fun outlet and we would perform a couple times a year.

They key for all was carving out the specific hours for musical activities. For me that was Wednesday evening and Sunday morning every week, Tuesday pm for one hour for chorale, and then occasional other evening rehearsals as they came up. If I had 2-3 hours of extra evening rehearsal during the week, then I’d be sure to make up that study time on the weekend, maybe get up early Saturday and get some extra hours in. You can’t just blow off the hours without paying a price, but it’s easy enough to make up the time elsewhere, at least to a point.

I could see a challenge if you’re an instrumentalist and not very advanced. It would be very difficult to put in the hours of practice necessary to really advance. Thankfully I was already pretty advanced so it was more about maintaining, and for the singing part you can only really practice for a limited time period without tiring the voice out.

Now as an attending, I found a great church gig though now I donate money rather than draw a salary from them. I arranged my schedule so I’m done around 1-2pm every day so there’s plenty of time for practice. I’ve also gotten involved in the local theater scene. And just the other day got my first sniff from the local symphony about a nice little solo gig. I’ve also found a fabulous local teacher and a local coach that I work with frequently to polish things back up and stay on top of the game. So nowadays I’m able to sing and play piano daily, do a couple nice roles in local theater, likely start doing something annually with the symphony, and probably something with the opera here too - they’ve also reached out. So all in all probably 3-5 good gigs per year which is about the max I’d like to do so I still have time to do all the other things I like to do.

For me it’s been staying sharp as a performer so I’m viable to get hired for these things. And then also arranging my schedule so I have time to do both well. It does mean I probably sacrifice some salary as I could surely work later and make more money, but I’m already passing 90th percentile working 35h a week most weeks, and that’s enough for me.
Thank you!

Musician here who had a career in music prior. A degree in music isn't going to be what makes you the best you can be - that will be practice and the right direction/instruction which can be had in many cases without the degree - such as any continued mentorship from your undergrad. The 2 year delay in becoming a physician (thus delay in your income) and 2 extra years of debt (not to mention tuition increases every year, thus you'll be paying higher rates of tuition for med school) for something you won't use professionally - only personally, which can somewhat be done on your own as mentioned, doesn't seem overly worth it. But that's just me and my 2 cents.

I still play occasionally, and have a friend who plays quite actively. I plan to pick up a little more in the coming year as well. Reach out if you'd like, and I can also try to connect you with my friend who is more active with music as it is!

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Hello everyone,

Thank you all.
This is not a good strategy, both economically and chronologically. A masters degree doesn't guarantee any proficiency. Besides, most of the greatest musicians didn't have any degree at all. I would hone your skills as a hobby rather than pursuing more degrees

Reactions: 2 users
This is not a good strategy, both economically and chronologically. A masters degree doesn't guarantee any proficiency. Besides, most of the greatest musicians didn't have any degree at all. I would hone your skills as a hobby rather than pursuing more degrees
One of the finer professional singers I’ve heard live also happens to be a dept chair of neurosurgery at a big academic hospital. Hearing him sing was actually a big motivator for me to pull the trigger on med school - figured if he could do that as a neurosurgeon, I could do it as an ENT.

And I have!

And neither of us have a MM degree.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users