DO Consideration of DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yojimbo_OGT

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You are very competitive for DO schools. Some DO schools like a DO letter so if you have that as well you should be set!

Reactions: 1 user
Chances for any DO school are excellent, including mine.

I created another post about MD chances (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/average-in-all-regards-chances.1156292/), but I have to wake up and smell the roses. I need to consider just applying to DO next year.

Check out my specifics in the other thread, but here's the overview:
31 MCAT (12/7/12)
3.50 cGPA (3.95 sGPA)
Average amount of volunteering/shadowing

I've been told that I have good chances to some top-end DO schools, but it seems unlikely that I'm not good enough for MD schools yet am competitive for most DO schools.

I have nothing against the osteopathic philosophy (let's face it, it's essentially allopathy with the word 'holistic' attached to it), so let's not get into this debate. I have a couple DO physicians lined up to shadow in the spring of 2016 so that I can get at least one DO LOR for the schools that will require it.

How am I looking for DO? No MCAT retake? Will I have chances for top DO schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
I mean people in that thread told you can be competitive for some MD schools. MO-Columbia I believe has a 10th percentile verbal at 7; you certainly have a shot there and they interivew over half their applicants. But yes, you are competitive for any DO school and it would be foolish to only apply DO next year unless you have no interest in MDs.

If this cycle is a bust, I'll be retaking the MCAT and this time I'll actually study for VR (CARS now, but I'll be using Ek101 I think); this will determine next years application. My main preference is still MD, but man, the application process is so expensive. I can only afford to apply exclusively to either MD or DO.

If I can't get VR above 8, then I'm dropping MD.

I don't understand this. If you want 5 DO schools, the only 'extra' fee you have is the first school. (I.e. 160 first, 35 second, 35 third, etc -- Same general method as MD schools). Ignoring the extra ~$100 charge for your first school, you can basically do any combination of MD or DO that you want.