English Major Considerations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

digitaldodechahedron

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I completed my BA in English at the University of Florida 2011. Prior to that, I earned my AA from a local community college. I received a 3.16 and 3.49 at these institutions respectively. I am currently in a post-bac program for teachers (educator preparation institute, 21 credit hour) and willing be completing this program with around a 3.7. I do not have any of the necessary prerequisites for applying to medical schools, so I will be taking all of this classes in a DIY post-bac' program at a local college. I have some volunteer hours, as well as work experience-- I was an English Language Arts teacher at a low income school as well as the after school director, drove taxis, joined the Freemasons, volunteered at my school's language lab, etc. I plan on adding a lot more extracurricular activities and work experience as I complete these pre reqs.

My question: What do I need to be a reasonable applicant? How high of an MCAT score and I'm going to need with my GPA situation? What kind of work should I be looking to add, and what kind of experience?

I am completely open to going to a D.O. school. I am also open to completing a masters program if it will help my odds. I don't have kids or a wife, and I'm 25 years old, so I have plenty of time and energy for this.

Any other general advice for me?

Members don't see this ad.

Also: is taking the pre reqs at a smaller school (essentially a community college that offers some BA programs) going to be negatively perceived? I can't really get back into UF to do the pre reqs; they don't typically admit post-bac' students.

Aim for 3.8+ on your postbac, 33+ for your MCAT.

For your ECs: shadow a doctor (a few dozen hours), volunteer in a clinical setting for at least two semesters (few hours a week).

I wouldn't know about your other question. I'd wager that many non-trads take their prereqs at a community college, and that it shouldn't be problematic if you aim for DO/lower tier MD.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was an English major and I'm currently a first year at a DO school. So don't think it's impossible to do it with your background.

Your ECs are interesting and I think you could have a good shot if you do a few things: shadow a DO and get some more medical experience if possible (volunteering at an ER or working as a scribe would do the trick), do well on your MCAT, for a DO school I would try and get in the high 20s. You listed your GPAs for individual schools but what matters is both the cumulative and the science GPAs. Note that for DO schools repeats replace the first grade, MD does not do this. Taking prerequisites at a CC or small college doesn't matter, just do well.

Thanks for the replies, guys. I feel confident in tackling the necessary pre reqs. I'm definitely going to be aiming for around a 3.8. I've heard all the nightmare stories about orgo, but I'm going to give it my best shot. I am an incredibly capable student, but drug and alcohol abuse really messed up my undergraduate education (I have no criminal record). I'm finally at the stage in my life where I'm mature enough to really focus on my priorities. I also plan on taking a Kaplan class for MCAT preparation. At what point should I take this prep' class?

Do you think that it would best if I got a part time job that is somewhat medical related (entry level obviously)? I would hypothetically work here while completing my pre reqs. Or would it be better to just do something that isn't stressful (like working at Office Depot) so I can focus on my school work, and then volunteering at a hospital?

Also, in regards to shadowing: my ultimate interest is in becoming an Army doctor-- preferably general surgery. Should I be shadowing someone relevant in respect to this?

Regards,

-Henry

Thanks for the replies, guys. I feel confident in tackling the necessary pre reqs. I'm definitely going to be aiming for around a 3.8. I've heard all the nightmare stories about orgo, but I'm going to give it my best shot. I am an incredibly capable student, but drug and alcohol abuse really messed up my undergraduate education (I have no criminal record). I'm finally at the stage in my life where I'm mature enough to really focus on my priorities. I also plan on taking a Kaplan class for MCAT preparation. At what point should I take this prep' class?

Do you think that it would best if I got a part time job that is somewhat medical related (entry level obviously)? I would hypothetically work here while completing my pre reqs. Or would it be better to just do something that isn't stressful (like working at Office Depot) so I can focus on my school work, and then volunteering at a hospital?

Also, in regards to shadowing: my ultimate interest is in becoming an Army doctor-- preferably general surgery. Should I be shadowing someone relevant in respect to this?

Regards,

-Henry

Are you familiar with the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences (USUHS) located in Bethesda, Maryland? If your career goal is to become an Army physician, then USUHS should be on your shortlist of schools to eventually apply to.

I was not familiar with this school. The application/preparation process is all very new to me, so I'm learning a lot by the minute. Thank you for that bit.

Wondering: are things like being a certified personal trainer and pilot worth putting on your application? (NASM certification as well as private pilot license). I'm an amateur body builder who spends over ten hours per week training. Is my post bac program in education going to have any affect either (3.7+ GPA)?