Considering SGU January Term?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

diesel2101

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, here's the deal: I was contacted by SGU, asking if I would consider the January 2015 term instead of the August 2015. Now here's my predicament- Since I have not been contacted yet for an interview (only submitted a week ago), is this a polite way of saying that my grades (30+) MCAT are not sufficient for entry into the Aug. class? Has anybody else received a similar message? Or is this something that is sent to everybody before they fill their January class?

Members don't see this ad.

So, here's the deal: I was contacted by SGU, asking if I would consider the January 2015 term instead of the August 2015. Now here's my predicament- Since I have not been contacted yet for an interview (only submitted a week ago), is this a polite way of saying that my grades (30+) MCAT are not sufficient for entry into the Aug. class? Has anybody else received a similar message? Or is this something that is sent to everybody before they fill their January class?

Historically, because of the way the time-lines work out, most people prefer to start in the August class. The January class is typically much smaller and has a bit of extra time to study for the Step. You can also potentially finish a bit faster because there are a few clinical centers that will let M3 students start a bit earlier if you don't prolong your Step 1 study time, but this is pretty minor and I wouldn't base your decision on it.

This is most definitely not a reflection of your grades assuming your GPA is not <2.5 or so, 30+ on the MCAT is quite good. In fact, if you have a 30+ MCAT you might consider holding off and trying to get into a USMD or applying now for grade-replacement DO for August 2015. It is better to take a bit of time and exhaust all of your options in the US before going off-shore.

I suspect this is just the school trying to fill up the January class more to even it out a bit and maximize their potential profit. It's easy to fill up the August class, not so much for the January class. If they can bump you up to Jan, they can easily fill your August spot with somebody else's financial aid dollars.

Reactions: 1 user