Considering Taking a Rural Med but a little apprehensive.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Audacious MD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello I am a 3rd year FM resident. I was offered a job I can't pass up, the only thing is I'm required to do ER. We did not have much training in my residency program for ER, but I am required to do one day a week and one weekend a month. What can I do to get training additional training. It is a 25 bed critical access hospital with 3 patient visits per day. The do get codes and traumas, am I making big mistake by taking it? I will also be doing clinic and some inpatient which I'm very comfortable with, just not very comfortable with intubations and lines?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello I am a 3rd year FM resident. I was offered a job I can't pass up, the only thing is I'm required to do ER. We did not have much training in my residency program for ER, but I am required to do one day a week and one weekend a month. What can I do to get training additional training. It is a 25 bed critical access hospital with 3 patient visits per day. The do get codes and traumas, am I making big mistake by taking it? I will also be doing clinic and some inpatient which I'm very comfortable with, just not very comfortable with intubations and lines?
Youre a 3rd year now so you have some elective time i would assume. A trauma rotation, if possible, ER rotations and an anesthesia rotation. I would explain your future job to preceptors and what skills you are trying to gain. Try to do ATLS this year as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Youre a 3rd year now so you have some elective time i would assume. A trauma rotation, if possible, ER rotations and an anesthesia rotation. I would explain your future job to preceptors and what skills you are trying to gain. Try to do ATLS this year as well.
Thank you very much I already plan to do all of those except a Trauma rotation as this one is not available to me, any other options for that besides just ATLS?