research and rural med?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xjkai

Reaction score
Hi SDN! Applying to multiple rural track programs for med school right now and had a few quick questions--are there any opportunities to combine research with a career in rural medicine? I grew up & went to college in rural areas, so I'd really love to have a future career where I can address disparities in rural healthcare. However, a big part of my resume is research-centered (using AI/telehealth/big data to improve care for underserved communities)--I don't know if I should de-emphasize my research in my essays because I'm worried that my research will make it seem like I'm not a good mission fit? Or if there even would be opportunities to continue research as a rural doctor.

TLDR: Does anyone know whether there are ways to combine rural medicine & research? Should I spend less space on my app talking about research if I'm applying to a rural track?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm an adcom at a med school, and I'm in my school's rural track. Actually, depending on your region, you probably applied to my school! Don't dox yourself though, let's remain anonymous.

I'm literally doing research as part of my school's rural track. You're absolutely fine. You can absolutely do research as a rural doc, although with the clinical hours you'll be working, will you want to?

You can also go into academic medicine at a school like mine. Our FM attendings focus on rural health disparity research.

I'd run with your research. TeleHealth is HUGE for rural medicine, I'm hoping one day as a rural FM doc I can get a neurologist on Zoom for a consult.

Crap, this was a late response. I hope the cycle is going well for you bro!