Considering writing the MCAT. Help.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mwadie7

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'm new here & considering writing the MCAT at the end of August/early September. I am however, puzzled as to where to commence with my studying and was hoping for a little guidance, but first allow me to give you a bit of background on my educational background:

I have just completed my 3rd year of undergraduate education in Kinesiology at McMaster & as for what I perceive to be the relevant courses, have taken various human physiology courses, a semester in physics, a semester in biomechanics, a semseter in intro calculus, 3 semesters of psych (1 intro-level), & a full year of general chemistry (with very basic organic chem). As for pure biochem, organic chem, & bio, I havent partaken any specific courses.

1) From identical or similar experience (personal or otherwise), do you think I can manage to do well on the MCAT by utilizing any of the prep book sets (self-study)?
2) If the answer to the above question is yes, which ones?
3) What are the absolute best test banks to use and will provide the most realistic simulations of the MCAT?

I was thinking Kaplan books for content review (+ EK for CARS), & as for Test banks I'd go with NS, TPR, & the official AAMC practice tests. I know the Kaplan books are detailed but I could just briefly review anything I'm already familiar with so it shouldn't be too tedious I guess. Thoughts?

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you, I just did! Very insightful! But, I'm still caught up on the pre-reqs for the MCAT. Realistically the biochemistry & biology comprise a large proportion of the exam and I have none of them, would self-tutoring be sufficient? I'm not worried about organic because it's weightage is no longer very significant. I'll study the content, surely, but it won't be of high priority.

Thank you, I just did! Very insightful! But, I'm still caught up on the pre-reqs for the MCAT. Realistically the biochemistry & biology comprise a large proportion of the exam and I have none of them, would self-tutoring be sufficient? I'm not worried about organic because it's weightage is no longer very significant. I'll study the content, surely, but it won't be of high priority.

Well, at least half the biology is physiology, and it seems like you're well-covered there.

As for self-studying for biochem... that largely depends on you. I think it can be done because (IMHO) the material really isn't that hard conceptually. If you have the time, I say go for it. Kaplan's biochem book is well-organized.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks a lot! I've decided I'm going to go for it using the materials I've identified earlier (+KA passages) and use the 100 day NS plan :)

If you are planning to take it in August/September, you have plenty of time. FIgure out what works for you.