contacted by a private practice for postdoc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunnydaydoctor

Reaction score
In response to my postdoc application to a private group practice, I was contacted by Dr. A. I emailed Dr. A a couple times. Then Dr. A. referred me to Dr. B for an interview. During this interview, Dr. B talked about placements with Dr. A, Dr. B., and a few other psychologists. Ultimately, I am interviewing for a second time with Dr. C for a placement. Both Dr. A and Dr. B are formal and not promising me anything.

What do you make of the shifting of my application from Dr. A to B to C? What do you make of this practice culture?

Members don't see this ad.

No idea, it could be as simple as their hierarchy or something else. If Dr.C will end up being your main supervisor, they may just want you to meet with them to see if they are alright with supervising you. At the end of the day, it is about their needs and PP ranges from small groups to large multi-site practices. So, it can be hard to tell with minimal details.

Members don't see this ad :)
It could be a sign that they are not committed to the process and if they are a typical outpatient setup, it is often hard to justify time spent with a postdoctoral and other financial considerations. I am taking on a postdoctoral in the fall and recognize the financial commitment that requires and fortunately have a setup that allows some flexibility with revenue besides just billable hours so am hopeful that it can work. One challenge that I see with hiring therapists is that I can generate significantly more revenue than them. People prefer the experienced psychologists and will pay more money and are more likely to come back. My schedule is always full, the newer people, not so much. A practice that doesn’t take that into account, which I think most don’t, is going to end up being problematic.