Side Job for a Postdoc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pawsandneuro

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am starting postdoc in a couple of months and as I am budgeting and looking for an apartment, finances are looking really tight (partially thanks to my senior beagle). What are some good side jobs for a postdoc that can be done in the evening or weekend? I would prefer something that is at least semi-related to the field (so, not bartending or stuff like that).

Members don't see this ad.

The only thing I can think off-hand would be working as a psychometrist. You'd just want to be sure they knew you were a postdoc and in-training elsewhere, and that your postdoc program knew and approved of your work.

If you have a masters-level license, you may be able to do some therapy work, but that can get tricky in terms of how you're classified and finding a way to ensure you're functioning under the scope of your license and now practicing psychology without a license.

Reactions: 3 users
1) Psychometrician. You can find this work by attending your local psychological association meetings.
2) Do some stats work or copy editing through a service like Upwork. Make sure you can create an explanation as to how this is related to your career (e.g., “I explored the application of statistics, and explanation of scientific concepts to a lay audience, in the private sector”).
3) Call up your local psych hospital, explain who you are, and ask if they need a behavior tech. If you’re wise, you’ll notice I just gave you a never ending source of patients.
4) Look up special interest groups, call them, explain your situation, ask for a job (e.g., Autism Speaks, Alzheimer’s Association, Parkinson’s Association, whatever).

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you have a masters-level license, you may be able to do some therapy work, but that can get tricky in terms of how you're classified and finding a way to ensure you're functioning under the scope of your license and now practicing psychology without a license.

I had my LPC while I was getting psych hours and it was a huge headache and I have since let it go now that I'm licensed as a psychologist because having it is not worth the cost or potential legal trouble.

One issue was the intake coordinators wanted to send me Medicare patients to see on my LPC (with MD approval) while I was a postdoc for my psychologist license. My supervisor tried to shut it down, but they would still try real hard to put them on my caseload. I think I had to turn away a least a dozen people and just eat the time. Another issue was the mandated reporting laws in my state were different for psychologists than they are for LPCs, but thankfully nothing came up (risky though!). If anyone wants to use a mid-level license when getting their hours, I would strongly suggest they do so in an entirely different setting and not even mention that they are in training to be a psychologist.

Reactions: 2 users
Tutoring. Potentially test proctoring if there is a Pearson or like-company testing center.

Reactions: 2 users
I was an adjunct professor at a college when I was on internship...I'd imagine you could do something similar. Alternatively, you could try to join a private practice part time as a "post-doc associate." I see those all the time in my area.