Contacting Potential Research Mentors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

as06

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm working on a number of secondaries that allow me to list researchers with whom I've been in contact regarding my research interests and potential projects. How much damage (if any) would it do if I left this section blank?

I guess the main question is: should I go out of my way to contact researchers solely for this purpose?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

this is my first time applying, but i will give your question a shot. i have asked students in md/phd programs and they have said that they did not contact potential research mentors. based on that, i don't think it will hurt you too much.

List people you'd like to talk to. The more you have in common, the better you'll hit it off.

Members don't see this ad :)
as06 said:
I'm working on a number of secondaries that allow me to list researchers with whom I've been in contact regarding my research interests and potential projects. How much damage (if any) would it do if I left this section blank?

I guess the main question is: should I go out of my way to contact researchers solely for this purpose?

thanks

I don't think you need to contact them, but if you have certain interests it might be worth while looking the people up at least.

Thanks for the replies! I've tried to contact some potential mentors pursuing research that I find especially interesting but, as they're busy, the response rate has been pretty atrocious.

I guess I'll go ahead and submit these secondaries without that line filled out.

Which secondaries are asking you to contact researchers? The ones I filled out are just asking for people whose research I found interesting or who I would like to meet for an interview.

MSTP? said:
Which secondaries are asking you to contact researchers? The ones I filled out are just asking for people whose research I found interesting or who I would like to meet for an interview.

Columbia and BU -- they don't ask us to contact them necessarily, but say:

Have you been in contact with a member of the faculty or staff of Boston University with regard to your research interests?

If you have discussed your application with a member of the Columbia faculty or staff, please give name

Sounds optional enough, but I figure it'll show interest if we've been in contact with faculty. I wish they just gave space to list interests.

They may just want to see if somebody is advocating for you. If a researcher really wants you and the committee would like you to call some attention to this, then they may want this directly on the application. In my experience, though, highly competative programs have gatekeeping admissions committees which outrank the requests of the faculty members. They do this to keep their statistics in check.

I have both contacted researchers and have been contacted by them before an interview. If they don't respond very quickly, I have interpreted that to mean that they are not hungry for students.

I'll comment on asking who to talk to. This is coming from somebody who has interviewed with over fifty professors. A senior faculty member is more likely to grill you and less likely to have time with his or her own students. If you ask to talk to them thinking that their research is interesting, it might be possible that they have assumed a passive role in the research. If you choose a young faculty member to talk to, he or she is usually more likely to dominate the interview by trying to recruit you.